Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2006 10:56:48 AM EDT
This was discussed recently in a thread somewhere here and today it happened to me, thankfully at the range during practice. I have gotten so accustomed to firing 3 shots (a doubletap from the draw followed up with a single aimed shot) that it has become something of a default response to me when drawing my weapon. I decided to mix it up today. I was doing a drill where I would load all 5 rounds in my M85 and practice drawing from a concealed state and then firing all five shots at center mass in a fast but controlled manner. After about 200 rounds of that, I switched to a Glock, but for whatever reason, loaded 5 rounds instead of my usual 3. I drew with the same intent to fire all 5 but my immediate response was to fire a double tap and a follow up shot.....then after a few seconds I realized i wasnt out of ammo. It hit me like a brick wall....I have gotten so used to 3 shots that its no longer a default response to empty the mag.

I typically practice against a single target...so the preference I would think would be to empty my weapon. I could see a situation where a 3 shot response would save me ammo in the event a second threat emerges...but I can also see that in a panic state, my three shots might result in 1 or 2 solid hits....which isnt going to shut anyone offf like a switch - result = they would be capable of returning fire.

I tend to practice drills with 2 rounds int he mag and one in the chamber. I think for a while I will work with a full mag 9like I do when i carry) After todays gut reaction to a target I think its a good idea to make my default responses based on what I do when there arre 15 rounds in the weapon.

Anyone drill with multiple targets? I am considering sending two sillouttes out and working on a draw, then double tap each target, then assess follow up shots. Anyone do anything like this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyone drill with multiple targets? I am considering sending two sillouttes out and working on a draw, then double tap each target, then assess follow up shots. Anyone do anything like this?

Yep. I do that quite a bit. Draw from concealed position, double tap target #1, double tap target #2.

Lately I've been adding in double tapping target #1 again (for a total of 6 rounds). I've been doing that more because I see a dropoff in my accuracy on that third double tap. Not sure why that is, but I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I bet a lot of people who practice them will only shoot 3 times then stop and think all is good.  Sucks if your three shots missed.  Or if you missed your first two and while steady aiming your third, you get popped.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
My girlfriend and I train together with our carry rigs. I'll hang up three silhouttes and she'll stand in front of them with the gun concealed, hands at her sides. I'll yell either target left, center, or right, and she'll draw while moving and engage the designated target. Once I see two good COM hits, I'll yell "down." At this point, she'll scan the area and yell "clear" or designate another target for her to engage. She then does the same for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top