Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:35:28 PM EDT
I have never thought about these much, but it seems like they would help target acquisition speed and also be a good aid for developing trigger control when dry firing. Or are they just another gadget for people who would rather throw money at a problem than take the time to develop skills?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:06:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:56:05 PM EDT
Just ordered a pair of Crimson Trace laser grips for my Ruger SP101 .357 mag. I will let you know what I think.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:57:35 PM EDT
Definitely a tool. I'm pretty competent with a handgun, and I find a laser allows you to do things that just can't be done without. For example, with a laser you could shoot at and hit your target with the gun held behind your back. Would you want to? Probably not, but it illustrates the point that a laser allows you to shoot from extremely unorthodox positions, and that ability just might be valuable in a gunfight.

More importantly (to me, at least), the intimidation factor of a laser has the potential to de-escalate an armed encounter, potentially causing an assailant to give up without you having to fire a shot. I have CT grips on my carry weapon for exactly that reason, and am planning a pair for my nightstand gun as soon as funds allow.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:12:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Msokol13:
Just ordered a pair of Crimson Trace laser grips for my Ruger SP101 .357 mag. I will let you know what I think.

Please post a review once you get them. I too have an SP-101 and have been thinking about getting some CT grips for it. If I may ask, how much did they cost you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:43:31 AM EDT
They slow me down but they might speed you up - at least for the next 5,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:46:28 AM EDT
I don't buy the intimidation factor defense for lasers. The person is already going to be shitting themselves when you have a gun pointed at them, a laser isn't going to add to that effect.

I can see them being useful when shooting from unorthodox positions. How often are you going to be doing that though? I just don't think they have enough uses or give that much of a advantage to merit using them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:31:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rmdugan84:
I don't buy the intimidation factor defense for lasers. The person is already going to be shitting themselves when you have a gun pointed at them, a laser isn't going to add to that effect.

I can see them being useful when shooting from unorthodox positions. How often are you going to be doing that though? I just don't think they have enough uses or give that much of a advantage to merit using them.

Actually, the intimidation thing is documented by various police departments. It works, at least sometimes. As far as the unorthodox position thing goes, suit yourself. Personally, I'd rather have the capability than not. If your argument for using something is based on how often you'll actually use it, why carry a firearm in the first place? I don't personally know a single person who has ever defended himself with a concealed weapon. Using that logic, you might as well leave it all at home.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:00:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

Lasers: tool or toy?

Depends on whos hands it is in.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:28:07 PM EDT
More toy than tool but it could be useful in some circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 6:27:23 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]
I used to think they were worthless until they did a Crimson Trace demo during the low light section of my last training class. One look at my group in complete darkness and I was sold. This shoot also ended my thoughts on the need for night sights. I now have a set of Crimson Trace grips on my wish list for this year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:57:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:
This shoot also ended my thoughts on the need for night sights.

So what was your conclusion?

I'm wondering about this myself . . .

Disconnector
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:26:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By _disconnector_:

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:
This shoot also ended my thoughts on the need for night sights.

So what was your conclusion?

I'm wondering about this myself . . .

Disconnector

I consider them to be a "Must have" on any pistol intended for serious use. Try hitting anything in low light or total darkness without them. They are a big help.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:40:35 PM EDT
I would imagine having the laser on someone would make them think twice about forcing you to pull the trigger too. Besides, having the laser frees your concentration to worry about other things. Instead of focusing on the sights you can focus on what a threat is doing; i think it would reduce your chances of unnecessary force

But at the range, its a fun toy too
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:05:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TonyW:

Originally Posted By Msokol13:

Please post a review once you get them. I too have an SP-101 and have been thinking about getting some CT grips for it. If I may ask, how much did they cost you?

The CT grips for my SP101 cost me 169.95 brand new from www.oneclickshooting.com They are running a special right now for FREE SHIPPING on your Crimson Trace laser grips. This is by far the cheapest price I have found for these. Usually my local shop stocks them for $219+tax

I will write up a nice review when I get them on Monday. I have Tuesday and wednesday off and plan on giving them a good test run.
Top Top