Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 3:55:34 PM EDT
So I recently got my Firearm License. Can I also carry a knife along with my gun? Is there a difference between a GFL and GWL?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think that it will vary from state to state but here in NE it only applies to a handgun. No other concealed weapons are allowed, like knives,brass knuckles,ect.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess it varies. Here in FL my permit says "consealed weapon and firearm license". So it applies to everything from punchknife belt buckles to handguns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
In my state the CCW application packet speaks speficially to "concealed pistols, revolvers and stun guns."

Doesn't give any guidance on knives, etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Cause here in Georgia, mine says Firearm License. Damn, just got me a kool knife today.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
WHats the length of everyone blade? Here in GA, they say it has to be 5"
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
According to Florida's CCL website, Georgia does not allow the carrying of knives, only firearms.  
Relevant link is relevant.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]
3-4 inches. Bigger than that it become cumbersome to conceal. Also I'm running away from a knife fight at all costs. Only reason I carry a knife is for day to day tasks and weapons retention/getting choked out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#8]
According to Florida's CCL website, Georgia does not allow the carrying of knives, only firearms.

Not true, Georgia have a weapon carry now. GFL became GWL.
Stupid thing is GA will allow you to carry a 5" blade, anything smaller maybe be illegal. How dumb is that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not true, Georgia have a weapon carry now. GFL became GWL.
Stupid thing is GA will allow you to carry a 5" blade, anything smaller maybe be illegal. How dumb is that?

I guess they don't want you to conceal it too easily?  In fairness, I carry a CRKT M21, which has a 3.8 inch blade, and it's a pain to carry.  I wouldn't want to carry something with a 5 inch blade.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I use to carry my Buck knife on my belt in high school
Never waited for my CCW
Im a country boy we all carry a knife

Never a problem in IN
held CCW for 20+yrs
carry Microtech D/A Socom Tanto and SIG P229.& S&W637
Blade is 4inches
cant tell its in my front pocket
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#11]
When we have to get a permit to carry our pocket knife/tacticool folders of the same length ............ we have lost.

Now if you could get a permit for a couple of bucks for an auto.......... I might let that one slide.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Um... Googled "GA gun laws" and got this.

georgiapacking.org

Carrying Weapons

Short Version
Basically, to carry a long gun you do not have to have a license to carry as long as you are not prohibited from owning a firearm. To carry a handgun openly or concealed in the state of Georgia (other than on your property or inside your home, car, or your place of business), you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. To carry a knife designed for offense with a blade over 5 inches you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. There are exceptions, read below to find out what those are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top