Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 6:23:38 PM EDT
I recently got rid of a 3" Kimber that I've had problems with literally, since the day I got it.  They advertise their "tactical" line as being made to withstand harsh environments and go for long periods between cleanings while maintaining total reliability.  

Well, that was not the case...I had FTE malfunctions on the first magazine (yes, I properly cleaned and lubricated prior to first shootin...and no this wasn't my first 1911).  After 8 malfunctions in the first 100 rounds I called Kimber, who told me the gun needed to break in.  
After 500 more rounds and more FTEs and FTFs I sent the gun back to Kimber.  They polished the feed ramp, changed the extractor and sent it back.  It didn't malfunction as much but the problems were CONSISTENTLY there.

I just want to warn those about to drop nearly a $1000 on a new Kimber that they may experience some issues.  A friend of mine has a 5" Kimber, which after a few hundred rounds quite giving him any problems.  I wasn't so lucky...maybe 1911s weren't supposed to be 3" guns.

I also have a ParaOrdnance, which was $300 less than the Kimber and has been nearly flawless.  BTW, my Para has a lifetime warranty, Kimber gives you a year.

I'm not trying to rant, I just want to warn my fellow shooters on this site about Kimber.  If you don't believe me look at  the posts that follow this one.  As I write this, most of the posts that follow this are describing problems with Kimber.

Next, go to the Sig Sauer section.....You wont read about too many problems with them (and they're several hundred dollars less than a Kimber).

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to add fuel to the fire.  But my TLE / RL II is my first Kimber and within 200 rds I had two FTE's.  I am going to run another 500 through it before I make a call.  But I can say my Beretta 92G-SD & G17 have NEVER had a FTE and they are both well over 1000 plus rounds with everything from Wal-Mart el-cheapo ammo to match grade.  I still like my Kimber, but at this point I would not trust my life to it.  As for now it seems to be a $1000 dollar range gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I recently got rid of a 3" Kimber that I've had problems with literally, since the day I got it.  They advertise their "tactical" line as being made to withstand harsh environments and go for long periods between cleanings while maintaining total reliability.  

Well, that was not the case...I had FTE malfunctions on the first magazine (yes, I properly cleaned and lubricated prior to first shootin...and no this wasn't my first 1911).  After 8 malfunctions in the first 100 rounds I called Kimber, who told me the gun needed to break in.  
After 500 more rounds and more FTEs and FTFs I sent the gun back to Kimber.  They polished the feed ramp, changed the extractor and sent it back.  It didn't malfunction as much but the problems were CONSISTENTLY there.
ouch.  my ultra CDP ran like a champ.  so does my Keltek 380

I just want to warn those about to drop nearly a $1000 on a new Kimber that they may experience some issues.  A friend of mine has a 5" Kimber, which after a few hundred rounds quite giving him any problems.  I wasn't so lucky...maybe 1911s weren't supposed to be 3" guns.
i think you got a bad apple.  sure $1000 is a lot to pay but everyone makes lemons.

I also have a ParaOrdnance, which was $300 less than the Kimber and has been nearly flawless.  BTW, my Para has a lifetime warranty, Kimber gives you a year.  good for you.  they are both good guns.

I'm not trying to rant, I just want to warn my fellow shooters on this site about Kimber.  If you don't believe me look at  the posts that follow this one.  As I write this, most of the posts that follow this are describing problems with Kimber.this thread will be a kimber bash.  just like a guy with a G-lock has a bash.  you will have yours.

Next, go to the Sig Sauer section.....You wont read about too many problems with them (and they're several hundred dollars less than a Kimber).  sig kicks ass.  if you want a sig, HK, G-lock, etc.  get one they are all new designes and $ for $ are better than a 1911.  i bet i could build a new gun that is better than a design that is 100 years old.  

sorry you had a bad gun.  i like mine.  but then i like my Springfield armory M1A and my AR-10.  bot of which get bashed a lot here.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a BP Ten II here, never worked well, my $300 RIA works better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:05:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Ps................ SIG had major problems with their release of the GSR hat

I never said that my issues made Kimber crap.  I did say that their price was not commensurate with their quality.

My intent was not to bash Kimber, it was merely to express dissatisfaction with a particular product (tactical ultra series).  Don't twitst my words or intentions because I've stepped on your toes by calling a spade a spade.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#7]
hobbs, good post....Your right, I'm not trying to bash ALL Kimber pistols.  I didn't word my title line correctly.  Originally I wanted to hear others thoughts on 3" 1911s, and to warn them about my experience.  After discussion with a couple of knowledgeable people who have had this type of experience (i.e. reliability problems with Officer size 1911s) I've come to the conclusion that maybe the 1911 design isn't suited for 3" or "Ultra" size pistols
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II. I have had maybe a handful of extraction problems. But all were within the first 300-500 rounds. Have not had a problem in over 1500 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
After reading up on 3" 1911's I decided to go with a proven 4" design. Have heard of Springfield,Kimber and other 3" guns having problems. From what I could tell it was a hit or miss getting 1 to work out of the box.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never said that my issues made Kimber crap.  I did say that their price was not commensurate with their quality.

My intent was not to bash Kimber, it was merely to express dissatisfaction with a particular product (tactical ultra series).  Don't twitst my words or intentions because I've stepped on your toes by calling a spade a spade.

I twisted nothing as your intent is quite clear in the manner in which you expressed yourself. You need to re read my post friend as my intent is equally clear . . . . and by the way you're not big enouph to step on my toes hr

LOL!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Tactical Pro, Tactical Ultra, and Custom Stainless II.

After about 500-600 rounds fired the Pro became less problematic in regards to FTF/FTE. Indeed, after putting about 1500 rounds through the Pro, it has become sufficiently reliable to have earned the status of residing on the table next to my bed at night. Now that's trust!!

The Ultra has yet to achieve such high regard. It's only sent about 400 rounds downrange, and is mostly plagued by failure to completely return to battery.  I will fire the Ultra further and see if the action smooths out through usage. If not, then I'll replace the stock recoil spring with a heavier tensioned Wolf product.

Most of my 1911's have required either a break in period, or some minor adjustments prior to becoming sufficiently reliable to become carry pistols. Although, I will add that my full sized Kimber Stainless Custom has performed flawlessly from the day it was purchased.

An aside regarding 1911's with 3" barrels: my Colt Defender is completely trustworthy to the point that it is my daily CCW....

.02 -

paddle3

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Many have bought Kimbers with the external extractor and base the quality of the Firearm soley on the problems from the bad design of this extractor.

I had a series 1 which was a jammomatic as well. I think Kimber excells at marketing more than building a good pistol.

I think we can all agree  that there seem to be more issues with the Series II pistols.

SGB, you seem a bit testy. No new deals at the gunshops this week?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Five Kimbers over the years, all flawless.  You are right, their quality is much better than their price reflects, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an Eclipse Target II, and absolutely love it... it gives me FTE problems once in a while, but nothing severe.  I have, however, had 2 of the cheap MIM pieces break on me: the thumb safety fell off one day while I was shooting, broke on the flat area next to the pin, and the rear sight windage screw broke dropping the rear sight to the floor (this, incidentally, happened the first time back to the range after fixing the safety!).  Kimber's customer supports was *excellent* both times that I called... they sent me a new safety lever... but they had me send the slide back to them to replace the rear sight.  These things *shouldnt* break on a $1000 pistol... but when they did, Kimber did their best to rectify the problem, and that is all I can ask!

BTW -- in my holster, its a Sig Sauer (P220 or P229) ... I love the glamour of the 1911, but my Sigs, from shot #1, have never failed me.

-tjg
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My personal feeling is that 3" 1911s are not particularly a good thing.  But hey, they factories have figured out how to get them to run most of the time, and I can get bad one to function, but I feel there is just too little slide travel.  Anyway, no hard feelings.  I just hope you have better luck in the future with all your 1911s.  

+1

1911's were intended to have 5" barrels, period.  My Colt Commander (4.25" barrel) has feeding problems (approx. 1 stoppage per 25 rounds), while both of my 5" 1911's almost never have problems.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have an Eclipse Target II, and absolutely love it... it gives me FTE problems once in a while, but nothing severe.  I have, however, had 2 of the cheap MIM pieces break on me: the thumb safety fell off one day while I was shooting, broke on the flat area next to the pin, and the rear sight windage screw broke dropping the rear sight to the floor (this, incidentally, happened the first time back to the range after fixing the safety!).  Kimber's customer supports was *excellent* both times that I called... they sent me a new safety lever... but they had me send the slide back to them to replace the rear sight.  These things *shouldnt* break on a $1000 pistol... but when they did, Kimber did their best to rectify the problem, and that is all I can ask!

BTW -- in my holster, its a Sig Sauer (P220 or P229) ... I love the glamour of the 1911, but my Sigs, from shot #1, have never failed me.
-tjg

Amen!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Kimber Warrior... best hand gun I have ever owned... followed by my CDP PRO II....followed by my GLOCK 19...
So far the service with Kimber has been amazing for me.
Anthony
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Kimber Warrior... best hand gun I have ever owned... followed by my CDP PRO II....followed by my GLOCK 19...
Anthony

This brings up another point... IMO, if you buy a $900+ pistol it should run flawlessly from the first shot on.  It should not be common to have experience dealing with the service department because the pistol shouldn't need it.  I know several people with Kimbers and EVERY ONE of them has sent his gun back to the factory within the first 1000 rounds.

Also, there are several posts where people talk about how great their Kimber/1911 functions once they add Wilson Combat BP extractror, new mags, mainspring, Wolf recoil spring etc.  You shouldn't have to customize a $1K gun, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anthony

This brings up another point... IMO, if you buy a $900+ pistol it should run flawlessly from the first shot on.  It should not be common to have experience dealing with the service department because the pistol shouldn't need it.  I know several people with Kimbers and EVERY ONE of them has sent his gun back to the factory within the first 1000 rounds.

Also, there are several posts where people talk about how great their Kimber/1911 functions once they add Wilson Combat BP extractror, new mags, mainspring, Wolf recoil spring etc.  You shouldn't have to customize a $1K gun, IMO.

Not that I disagree with you, but unfortunately its true.  I knew that when I bought my first 1911, and accepted it before hand, as most do.  However...my external extractor Kimber TLE RL2 has worked 100% since day one, even on the stock parts.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I've never met and talked to anyone that bought a 1911 that ran perfect when they got it, they all had to be tuned no matter what brand, and I've known alot of people. Even if 100 people came up on this thread and said mine ran fine, it would still pale by comparison.  

sig kicks ass. if you want a sig, HK, G-lock, etc. get one they are all new designes and $ for $ are better than a 1911. i bet i could build a new gun that is better than a design that is 100 years old.

lol, mike ur smokin crack
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I also have a ParaOrdnance, which was $300 less than the Kimber and has been nearly flawless.  BTW, my Para has a lifetime warranty, Kimber gives you a year.

I'm not trying to rant, I just want to warn my fellow shooters on this site about Kimber.  If you don't believe me look at  the posts that follow this one.  As I write this, most of the posts that follow this are describing problems with Kimber.

Next, go to the Sig Sauer section.....You wont read about too many problems with them (and they're several hundred dollars less than a Kimber).

I've got a few Kimbers laying around.  Never had a problem.  The CDP was a gift from God himself.  Flawless after thousands of rounds.

ETA:  It was flawless until I scratched the shit out of it when removing the zip tie from the trigger the day I brought it home.  Used a knife instead of scissors.  Doh!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Kimber is the reason if I ever again Own a 1911, it'll be a Les Baer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#27]
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS!  EVERYONE KNOWS THERE ARE BAD APPLES.  STOP BITCHING AND GO SHOOT WHATEVER YOU OWN.  YA DAMN BABIES!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This brings up another point... IMO, if you buy a $900+ pistol it should run flawlessly from the first shot on.  It should not be common to have experience dealing with the service department because the pistol shouldn't need it.

NOTHING mand made, let alone mass produced is going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. NOT Kimber, not Glock, not Ruger and not Sig. That's why manufactures have warranties.

I know several people with Kimbers and EVERY ONE of them has sent his gun back to the factory within the first 1000 rounds.

And I have TWO Kimbers that haven't missed a lick, as well as knowing several others with Kimbers that have and have not been problem free since purchase. Your point?

he
I've got a 1984 Plymouth Colt to sell you...how about $40, 000.  Then I'll sell you some parts to make it run  he
Apparantly I am...Lets just agree to disagree on this matter.  This is getting old.  I'm not going to change your mind (which wasn't my intent) and your certainly not going to change mine.  Happy shooting!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:33:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top