Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 11:24:36 AM EST
Hi all-

Hope everyone is doing well. I am in a good position. I own a Kimber Pro CDP II (out of their custom shop) and an almost new Colt 1991 Commander. I have put about 500 rounds through the Kimber, and I am shooting it well. I just came into possession of the Colt and I haven't shot it yet. But I plan to do so this weekend. I haven't had a single problem with the Kimber. Fortunately, the AMAZING holster from Andrews fits both, so I am good there.

My question is which is the 'better' 1911? My life may well depend on it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:29:04 PM EST
Colt Commander, hands down.

Between the two, Colt has a much better reputation for functional consistency.

Kimber also has the Swartz safety, which can fail to engage at a critical moment (and has been reported to do so in isolated cases).

4.25" is inherantly more reliable by design, requires less maintenance, and is easier to find parts than a 4" Kimber, and it carries more comfortably than a 5" Kimber.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:33:29 PM EST
Obviously, you want to run the Colt through the same regimen the Kimber went through. At this point, given the Kimber made it through many rounds without a failure, I'd lean towards it FOR THE TIME BEING.

However, I agree with pulpsmack. Colt's are generally much better built guns. If you run the Colt through a good amount of your carry ammo without failures, I'd trust it more than the Kimber.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:33:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By atlflyfisher:
Hi all-

Hope everyone is doing well. I am in a good position. I own a Kimber Pro CDP II (out of their custom shop) and an almost new Colt 1991 Commander. I have put about 500 rounds through the Kimber, and I am shooting it well. I just came into possession of the Colt and I haven't shot it yet. But I plan to do so this weekend. I haven't had a single problem with the Kimber. Fortunately, the AMAZING holster from Andrews fits both, so I am good there.

My question is which is the 'better' 1911? My life may well depend on it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

Colt Commander without a doubt. I am still waiting for the return of my 1991 (ORM) Commander which will be my carry weapon and I have an XSE Combat Commander in SS that I often carry which I have complete confidence in. Although I have owned a Kimber 1911, I don't care for anything they have out now. Some may disagree but I'll stay with a Colt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:38:37 PM EST
The problem with the Swartz safety on your Kimber is that it might work for 10000 rounds at the range without a problem but the moment you need it for real there is a chance you will get a click instead of a bang.

If you "HAVE" to have a firing pin safety the Colt style is the one to have.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:58:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By wetidlerjr:
Colt Commander without a doubt. I am still waiting for the return of my 1991 (ORM) Commander which will be my carry weapon and I have an XSE Combat Commander in SS that I often carry which I have complete confidence in. Although I have owned a Kimber 1911, I don't care for anything they have out now. Some may disagree but I'll stay with a Colt.

Still waiting on yours too, eh?

I have stopped carrying my SS NRM Commander lately after a bad bout of malfunctions; all signs point to the malfs being entirely due to the magazines, but until I get a chance to sit down with it at the range and re-check with fresh mags, I've switched to the P7 exclusively.

Even with the possible problems with that current Commander, I would still go Colt. My Gov't has been absolutely flawless - as was the blued NRM Commander before it got sent off, and the SS was 99% until just recently (and again, likely a mag issue).
Top Top