Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 9:06:48 PM EDT
I have a 3" kimber ultra carry ii

1000+ rounds

Sent it back to kimber for new night sights, checkering and they cerakoted the frame

I have been using it in idpa.  Shooting FMJ blazer factory loads

The bullet will jam on the feed ramp or partially in the barrel when using the slide release

I re-rack, sometimes that clears, sometimes it just jams the next round in the feed ramp.

Any thoughts?

Send to kimber?   Fuck kimber and find a local smith?

Tried both Wilson and kimber mags.   Gun is clean.  It jammed multiple times tonight test loading on my workbench

Guess it has told me the gun isn't My go to ccw piece

Carrying glock only now.   Shot idpa with my g19.   No issues at all
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The usual suspects are

Try different ammo.  Blazer ain't for everyone even after 1000 rounds.
Recoil spring
Mag issue.  Lips or follower need tuning?
Feed ramp issue.  Does the ramp need smoothing out?

FWIW, 1911's under 4.25" have known reliability issues.  Some work, some don't, some work when they want to.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
replace the recoil spring.
maybe excissive extractor tension.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Live with it.  That's just how a 3" Kimber runs...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
you say over 1000 rounds, was it fine before you had it cerrakoted and now it jams or did it jam from round one the same way?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The problem occurs ONLY when releasing the slide or hand-cycling?  You've had no problems while running live fire?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Live with it.  That's just how a 3" Kimber runs...
View Quote

Funny guy...

Had a UCII and it ran like a top.  They are great little guns....but I wanted to carry more than 7 rounds....

Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Pistol was my dads.   I know they are known to be less than reliable.  But I will keep the gun forever due to its value to me

It doesn't jam during live fire.   And it just popped up since i started to use it in idpa

Which happened to be also after I had the frame Kim Pro'd which looks like cerakote

I thought I was doing mag changes too soft so I ram them in.  That didn't work so I just baby them in

Maybe the gun doesn't like the blazer.  But I thought it would eat any FMJ.  I know some HP hang on the ramp

- could I possibly have too weak a recoil spring?  Gun could have 2-3k rounds through it.  Dad no longer around to ask

- next time I am at range I will have the gun smith check ramp and barrel

I know the feed ramp feels smooth.  The two edges of the ramp feel jagged.  Maybe those are catching the lip of the brass case

Thanks for the replies all
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The problem occurs ONLY when releasing the slide or hand-cycling?  You've had no problems while running live fire?
View Quote

Correct.  Usually during mag changes while running idpa match
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly sounds like a recoil spring if it's never been changed.

I think those 3" 1911s like a new spring about every 750-1K rounds.  

If it ran fine before, stick with the stock weight, just stay on top of it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Shorty 1911's definitely need the springs changed very often. I would recommend swapping that recoil spring first. I seriously doubt your mags are the issue, since you listed multiple solid brands and I am assuming they all have the same issue in your gun.

It could also be that the extractor has enough tension but the hook is not radiused and is hanging up on the case rim. That's probably less likely, but you could take a look anyway. I'd bet on the recoil spring first, though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]
if its been recoated then it may be a little tight yet and the spring isnt strong enough like others say and the feed ramp was most likely painted over as well so everything is slower when cycled and a weak spring doesnt help.
I change mine every 1 thousand rounds  on my ultra cdp.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
10-4, spoke with Kimber they too suggested new recoil springs.

those with ultras, have you bought a whole new recoil spring assembly, or tried to monkey both springs off the guide?

i think new, the whole assembly is like $40, so wondering if it is even worth messing with
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#13]
EGW sells a recoils that you can change the springs on, I would look there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck Kimber Custom.
Period.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Step 1 - replace recoil spring(s)
Step 2 - properly tension extractor.

99% one of those two will fix it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fuck Kimber Custom.
Period.
View Quote

Thank you for your helpful and insightful post sir
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top