Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2003 3:30:08 PM EDT
I am the proud owner of a new Eclipse Target II pistol.  I've got 300 rounds though it and it has performed perfectly so far.  I am quite pleased with the group sizes as well.

I do have a question about it though.  It came with an adjustable night sights and there is an allen screw in the rear sight.  What is this screw for?  I can't find any reference to it in the manual that came with the gun or on the web.

Is it used to make sure the sight stays tightly on the frame? or does it "lock" the current adjustments to the adjustable sight?

Should I be embarassed to have to ask this question?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Without actually looking, I think it is in fact to hold the sightbase in place in the dovetail.
A lot of makers use 'em.
And the only embarrassing questions are the ones you DON'T ask.
You may even want to check it's tightness for peace of mind, if anything.
Sweet gun, I'd be a proud owner too!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
At first I wasn't too crazy about the Eclipses, but now they've kinda grown on me. And I'm starting to get the itch for another 1911 (I have the full size CDP and I love it!), but I want a steel framed one and I'm looking hard at either the Eclipse or the Team Match. I heard that early in the production, the finish on the Eclipse was quite weak and would even come off just by cleaning the slide. Is this still true? I won't be carrying the gun, so I'm not worried about how it holds up to holster wear, but it should at least hold up to cleaning solvents.
Thanks,
Balisong
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Update - I've had time to play with the pistol and put about 400 rounds through it.  The allen key on the rear site does appear to both tighten the sight up in the dovetail as well as "lock" the adjustable settings.

I have not had any failures of any kind and the group sizes keep getting smaller.    

The pistol is more accurate than the .40 HK USP that I am used to shooting, but is much slower on the double-taps.  I'm guessing that the extra spring and the smaller bullet in the HK USP account for the difference.

I do have a couple of nits to complain about.  The left grip has already worked loose and the base of the rear sight is way to the left of the center of the slide, but forunately within the range of adjustment of the sight.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
"I do have a couple of nits to complain about. The left grip has already worked loose and the base of the rear sight is way to the left of the center of the slide, but forunately within the range of adjustment of the sight."

First, tighten the grip screws.

Second, that allen screw you were asking about - loosen it, move the sight base to the center of the slide and re-tighten the allen screw.

If this is your idea of problems, you've lived a sheltered life.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
DaveT, you are correct.  I have led a sheltered life.

If these are the only problems I ever have with this pistol, I will be very pleased.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you had any problems with the finish on the outside of the slide coming off with cleaning?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I have not had any problems with the finish coming off with cleaning with BreakFree CLP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Have you had any problems with the finish on the outside of the slide coming off with cleaning?

I've had an Eclipse Target II for about 16 months now and have not had any problem with the finish coming off while cleaning.

I did manage to get smacked with the rear sight when it broke off (after only having the pistol for a week, and ~1000 rounds), but Kimber made it right again.

Jonathan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top