Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 3:58:31 PM EDT
Took the new kid out for a walk Saturday night at the NRA range and the first rounds down the pipe were 230 Rangers, really sweet!

Loaded two mags with some junk Ultramax ammo and every round a key hole, I am wondering if the junk was the issue so I head to the desk to buy some range rounds to break it in some more.

gotm4, 9x19 were in the lanes down from me and observed the same thing so gotm4 hands me a couple boxes of M1911 Olin and it key holes as well.

In all the years of owning 1911 pistols I have never witnessed this and as a Kimber cherry I admit this flusters me, at least I know my hand loads will fire well.

Anyone else see this happen before?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
New to me but it sounds like you got a bum barrel. Have you called Kimber?

Not yet since I have been reading the Kimber forum and figured someone with more time with Kimbers would know first.

I will give them a ring after Christmas since I am loading 100 rounds of my hand loads and try them out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So the gun did fine with the SXTs but keyholed with the rest? I could understand that with the Ultramax junk, but the Olin?

I would give the barrel a really good cleaning and try again with the Olin or other good quality US ammo...if that did not do it, back to Mr. Kimber she would go!

Everyone got a good laugh with the Ultramax, smoked like a Kentucky black powder and stinky.

When the smoke cleared it was like, WT?

I will have my hand loads done and going to meet another ARFCOM member this weekend to do some shooting, will see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#5]
inspect the crown carefully, post some pics if you can, and try other ammo
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
inspect the crown carefully, post some pics if you can, and try other ammo

Tore down the pistol and the crown was ok and no visual objections, I have had no time to shoot it since but will try my hand loads Sunday at our shoot.

I also found a box of Remington 230 grain way back in the ammo locker, and my hand loads are going to be tested as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top