Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2003 6:08:18 PM EDT
I just recently acquired a CDP UC2. I think its a nice pistol, but have'nt had a chance to break it in yet. Im not impressed with the Kimber (ChipMcCormick) factory mags. After getting used to the Wilson Combat mags. Most other 1911 mags seem cheap and unreliable. The bumper pads are fine for the full-size, but not for a concealed carry weapon.

Is there a shorter bumper pad i could buy and install? I own one of the officer sized mags. Where would i be able to buy the pad and/or mag with short pad?

Is there a quality follower for the factory mag that will assist in chambering short 185grn HP loads? Mine when cycling by hand FTF. Maybe when i shoot it, it wont seem so bad. In my experience with 1911's is if it wont cycle by hand, then dont expect it to cycle when fireing.

Heh. my dad thinks im crazy for spending that much on a pistol.

I liked the Para-Ordnance LDA 3" compact too, but its heavy. Would it be possible to intall a bobbed beavertail to the Kimber CDP UC2?
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Get at least one Wilson mag...assuming they make something that will fit your pistol. They will come with a shorter pad which will be better for concealment and are the very best quality. My preference is for standard capacity (7rd. rather than 8 for standard GM frames/6rd. rather than 7 for OM frame size) as I have found they do better over the years for me. You won't need a different follower for the Wilson mags.

Hand cycling involves totally different "dynamics" than those at work when the pistol cycles from recoil, and it is probably a waste of time to bother with this...not to mention being somewhat dangerous. Often, compact models in which the barrel/slide/recoil spring assembly have been shortened are more "picky" feeders than the standard models they were derived from.

I'm sure someone can simply bob the beavertail safety you currently have on the gun now if that is what you want.
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Ikor to stick with the 7-round magazines.  I have found Colt magazines to be excellent.  They are readily available at most gun shops or gun shows.  You can sometimes get good ones used.
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The round i was having trouble with are Taurus 185grn copper HP. I pulled them out and compared them to the other JHP rounds and they are actually longer. The other rounds are cycling by hand. This sucks as i've heard the Taurus ammo is good. Have any of you fired this ammo in your 1911's?

I understand that the dynamics of cycle by hand/fire is different, but in my experience with 1911's if it wont cycle by hand its not going to cycle by fire. (i've gone through 8 1911's)

I already own about 9 wilson mags for my fullsize Kimber. I dont mind the thick bumper pads on that. but the same pad is used on the Officer sized mags and was hopeing that a shorter one could be ordered.
Link Posted: 3/21/2003 5:35:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no experience with Taurus ammo, so can offer nothing there, except that maybe the "balance" of the loaded cartridge, along with the increase in OAL, is different enough to cause it to take a different approach angle to the feed ramp as it leaves the mag. (?)

If you can use Colt OM size mags, the factory Colt's have no mag pad at all. I have several that work very well in my lightweight OM. Also, you can possibly email Wilson and see if they offer a thinner pad, or order an extra or two and try sanding the one you have down until it is right for you...if it does not work, you will only be out a few bucks for a pad you should probably have anyway as a spare.

As noted in the previous post, reduced-size variants of full size handguns often have their little "quirks"...for instance, the Sig 225 often will not function correctly with +P+ 115/124 gr. ammo, (based on working with over a dozen different guns for several years)...etc. Yours could simply be an issue of less slide "overtravel", which would allow for less variation in ammo that works correctly...i.e. "good ammo, good gun...bad combination", etc.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Yes, you can get Wilson mags with a very thin pad.  They used to have them on their site, but now I don't see them.  You might want to give them a call.  Those Kimber/McCormick mags never worked for me.  The Wilson mags are flawless.

Yeah, I know you posted this a while ago.  I was doing a search for something else and ran across this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The round i was having trouble with are Taurus 185grn copper HP. I pulled them out and compared them to the other JHP rounds and they are actually longer. The other rounds are cycling by hand. This sucks as i've heard the Taurus ammo is good. Have any of you fired this ammo in your 1911's?

I understand that the dynamics of cycle by hand/fire is different, but in my experience with 1911's if it wont cycle by hand its not going to cycle by fire. (i've gone through 8 1911's)

I already own about 9 wilson mags for my fullsize Kimber. I dont mind the thick bumper pads on that. but the same pad is used on the Officer sized mags and was hopeing that a shorter one could be ordered.

Try the Remington Golden Sabers they have a very rounded nose. It sounds like you are using 'reverse' logic in your ammo selection. Given a particular gun you then must find a round it likes...you can't pick the 'best' round and then try to force your gun to digest them if they don't want to....ECS
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Chip McCormick offers a thinner pad that is of the same style as the wilson mags. Saw it some gun rag. I wonder if they will fit the Wilson brand? I should give them a call after i move and find out.

McCormick power mags vs Wilson Combat mags?

can anybody compare these two mags. Are they really just the same thing with a different brand name and body hole style?
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

McCormick power mags vs Wilson Combat mags?

Winner is highlighted.  You can't go wrong with Wilson.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#9]
WILSON

No comparison if your a** is in the line...the McCormicks are fine for blasting, etc. however.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Are 1911 government contract mags too crappy to depend on?

Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#11]
82nd, I wouldn't depend on them for daily carry, but it also depends on the gun.  My Springfield doesn't seem to have a problem with them, but my Kimber hates them.  For carry, I won't go with anything besides Wilson mags.  about $30 per mag, but well worth it.  That's really all you need for IDPA or daily concealed carry.  I rarely carry a spare mag anyway.

Again though, it depends on the gun.  If you can use those mags and put 500 rounds through the gun flawlessly, you can probably depend on them.  The other reason I won't carry USGI is that there's no bumper pad, which slows my mag changes.  They're great for shooting though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
You can replace the Kimber followers with the followers from a Wilson GM 8rd mag's
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top