Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2008 12:55:44 AM EDT

Ok . So are these 1911 all that much better than the newer productions models . I have been getting a lot of mixed feed back from people I have spoken with as of late . What is a fair price on a good used one now They seem to be a lot higher in price than alot of Kimbers current models . There seems to be alot of stigma around these pistols from the little I have read and the people I have spoke with  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you want it for.  There is only 7000 or so of them and there are people looking for them that's for sure.  They were made in Yonkers NY and not Clackamas OR so if you don't want a safe queen I wouldn't pay the extra $300-600.  If you want a shooter the Clackamas marked pistols most likely aren't any better than the next 30,000-40,000 that came off the line in NY.  I've kept my eyes open for these Clakies but I'm not going to pay $1200 for one.    
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
So is the Clackamas or the Yonkers one the best?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The Clackamas marked pistols were just the first 7000 ones they produced in the Yonkers plant.  They aren't any different or better than the ones made the following year or two.  At some point their quality went down some as they grew bigger.  These  Clackamas marked guns just sell for more because there are only 7000 of them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
IMHO, the Clackamas marked Kimbers the ones made couple of years after may be the best 1911's they made.  As was mentioned above Kimber's QC went down hill when they started getting popular.

Here's my Clackamas Custom Classic serial #12xx.  While I can't confirm it, I have been told that Kimber started the Clackamas serial numbers at 1000.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IMHO, the Clackamas marked Kimbers the ones made couple of years after may be the best 1911's they made.  As was mentioned above Kimber's QC went down hill when they started getting popular.

Here's my Clackamas Custom Classic serial #12xx.  While I can't confirm it, I have been told that Kimber started the Clackamas serial numbers at 1000.

www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P1130106_c.JPG

That is a nice looking gun. Love the finger marks on the front strap.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That is a nice looking gun. Love the finger marks on the front strap.

Thanks, it's seen a lot of shooting and it's definitely not a safe queen...
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#7]
mine is 16XXX
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top