Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2010 6:35:04 PM EDT
I just picked one up in a trade and was wondering if I can use standard 1911 mags? The guy I got it from told me that regular mags would damage it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used regular mags at the range in my Ultra no problem. Have one or two that ride along as #3,#4 spares for when I utilize my Kimber as my CCW on road trips.Of course they're a tad long.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe what he was referring to was using a mag with a steel follower that could potentially nose dive and dig into the softer feed ramp of the aluminum frame.

Wilson Combat magazines = problem solved.

Enjoy the CDP, I love mine:

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Kimber mags for my TLE/RL and McCormic Power 10rd mags
I plan on using the 10rd mags as extra mags in my mag holder and the flush fit mags in the pistol when I carry.
Can I use these?

BTW the followers for all the mags ar metal so I dont think it will have any affect on the frame - I would think
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have Kimber mags for my TLE/RL and McCormic Power 10rd mags
I plan on using the 10rd mags as extra mags in my mag holder and the flush fit mags in the pistol when I carry.
Can I use these?

BTW the followers for all the mags ar metal so I dont think it will have any affect on the frame - I would think

You can use probably any 1911 mag without worry in your CDP, as long as they function properly, of course. As for the metal followers I would just shoot it and check it whenever you clean it, which should be fairly often if it's your carry gun. Then if you should notice any unusual wear in the feed ramp then you can remedy it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The stock kimber magazines damaged my CDP frame.   I caught it before they hurt the ramps, and was able to smooth out the nastienes some.   I use Tripp or wilson mags only now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
the damage he was probly refering to is the ejector.  it is an extended ejector, with a full size mag you can slam it past the mag catch and brake the ejector, if you don't use the slip on  adaptor.  this is on the ultra version of kimbers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#7]
What would I look for as evidence of such damage?

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II with perhaps four hundred or five hundred rounds put through it.

I hadn't fired it for over a year. Up until last week, the only malfunctions that I can remember having with the gun were stovepipe failure-to-eject problems.

Last week I took it to the range, and for the first time that I can recall, I had numerous failures to load (upon pulling back and releasing the slide, as well as after firing a shot as the next cartridge was stripped off from the mag). The cartridges seemed to be getting hung up on the feed ramp.

I figured that the gun was just dirty (which it was), but maybe something else was going on with it as well. (I haven't stripped it down for a long, long time, and so I'm going to have to go through a "refresher course" on how to take it apart properly without having the slide go flying across the room).

I use one 8-rd Wilson mag and a variety of other 1911-style SS mags (including one Kimber-labeled mag)...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What would I look for as evidence of such damage?

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II with perhaps four hundred or five hundred rounds put through it.

I hadn't fired it for over a year. Up until last week, the only malfunctions that I can remember having with the gun were stovepipe failure-to-eject problems.

Last week I took it to the range, and for the first time that I can recall, I had numerous failures to load (upon pulling back and releasing the slide, as well as after firing a shot as the next cartridge was stripped off from the mag). The cartridges seemed to be getting hung up on the feed ramp.

I figured that the gun was just dirty (which it was), but maybe something else was going on with it as well. (I haven't stripped it down for a long, long time, and so I'm going to have to go through a "refresher course" on how to take it apart properly without having the slide go flying across the room).

I use one 8-rd Wilson mag and a variety of other 1911-style SS mags (including one Kimber-labeled mag)...

DO NOT DO IT! I used a Wilson ETM mag in my Ultra CDP II and this was the result after 2 rounds. Then the CDP started to FTF. Changed mags to the Factory Officer 7 rounders and sent another 100 rds down range with no issues. Then I go to clean it the next day and BAM!

You want evidence, you got it!

Noticed my ejector was lookin.....Rough and well... broken. It should have another 1/8 inch sticking out of the end (An Extended Ejector).

Google showed me that my idiot self just caused me to change an ejector.

Anywho, one call to Kimber Man and they sent me one comped (on the house).

A little dremel and 1.5 hours later I had a newly installed ejector.

It cost me a couple of hours of my life when I could have just used the factory mags.

Lesson = Do not use full framed mags in officer size frames.

Kudos to my Ultra CDP. If I had not cleaned the weapon I would not have known about the ejector as it ran like a top with a broken one and with no odd ejection pattern or FTE.

If your ejector looks anything like this it's broken!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
For an Ultra I carry Wilson 47OX  (officer length version of the 47).  Wilson style follower won't damage an alloy frame like a beaked Colt style.  Officer length mag is designed to seat properly.  As above, it is possible to overseat a standard/government length mag and break stuff if you force it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top