Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 10:02:20 AM EDT
Well, I've got a Pro TLE/RL II. Basically I get FTE's out the butt (over 1500 rnds through it, probably FTe's on 300 of those). Anyway, after 2 extractors from Kimber, I think I may know whats wrong with it, but I don't know how to fix it.

Basically, there is too much space between the face of the slide and the extractor claw.

Here is a picture I drew to illustrate what I think is wrong.

Thats what it looks like when I did the extractor test (slide off frame, slid round up into extractor from the bottom). As you can see, the extractor is holding the round in by the beveled part of the case, not by the rim.

Now, I'm wondering if the extractor itself is just too long, and I won't be able to fix it. Could filing down the claw a bit fix the problem?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Rim thickness can vary significantly from brand to brand of ammo. A change of brand may be one solution to your problem.

I have heard, but not confirmed, that Kimber has modified their external extractor 4 times and may revert to a standard 1911 internal extractor.

My buddy's shop does all 1911 work, including custom builds, but has not been able to resolve Kimber external extractor issues. Several units shipped to Kimber with extractor problems returned with new internal extractor slides.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, tuesday this gun goes back to Kimber. Maybe I'll be a lucky one and get it back with a new internal extractor slide.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd request that they give you an IE slide to repair the problem. Can't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Please keep use posted on the outcome.  Because your gun is not brand new it will be interesting to see what happens.  It would be excellent customer service if they rplace the slide with an internal extractor type.  I hope they do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Tagged for outcome.

Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top