Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 8:35:48 AM EDT
Had the lasermax guide rod, worked well - but since I am replacing springs, I figured back to stock was the safest bet for testing.

Using a 17.5 Variable Wolf - I run reloads a bit hotter than 850 FPS and it needed new springs anyway.

Replace the recoil spring
Replaced the firing pin spring, cleaned pin and extractor
Replaced the MSH spring with a new 25 lb one
Replaced the sear spring

OK - here is the issue - trigger is not good at all.  Requires lots of pull to release.  I am thinking the MSH spring is that issue.

So - the questions:

Kimber CDP II MSH is plastic  Me no like.  What is a good choice for replacement?  I'd like to keep it light - just not plastic.
Has anyone any idea what the standard springs are in a stock Kimber CDP II?   I can call Kimber on Monday - and will - but when I replace the MSH, I'd like a close to stock spring to get back the very nice trigger it used to have.  I kept and marked the old springs, but have no idea how to measure spring weights.
Think the sear spring in a stock CDP II was lighter?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:28:28 AM EDT

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 6:49:11 AM EDT by Buliwyf]
You need to adjust the leaf spring.

Put the old leaf spring back in.  But keep the rest of the new springs.   You'll see it right a way.

I used a Ed Brown 25lpi stainless MSH.  It dropped in with a Kimber Tactical bump grip safety.  I stoned down the bottom corners of the K frame to get a perfect flush fit.   But it was pretty good without that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:17:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Maryland_Shooter:

Kimber CDP II MSH is plastic Me no like. What is a good choice for replacement? I'd like to keep it light - just not plastic.

Thanks in advance!

Is yours a Gov't model size, or an Officer's ACP sized grip?

I put one of these VZ aluminum MSHs in my New Agent: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=50984/pid=23737/Product/Officers_Lightweight_MS_Housing__Checkered__Black

This one is for Gov't models: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=50107/pid=23737/Product/Govt_Lightweight_MS_Housing__Checkered__Black

This is the steel one that I put in my Desert Warrior: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=46799/pid=21493/Product/Lanyard_Mainspring_Housing

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:08:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Buliwyf:

Put the old leaf spring back in.  But keep the rest of the new springs.   You'll see it right a way.

I used a Ed Brown 25lpi stainless MSH.  It dropped in with a Kimber Tactical bump grip safety.  I stoned down the bottom corners of the K frame to get a perfect flush fit.   But it was pretty good without that.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:09:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

Kimber CDP II MSH is plastic Me no like. What is a good choice for replacement? I'd like to keep it light - just not plastic.

Thanks in advance!

Is yours a Gov't model size, or an Officer's ACP sized grip?

I put one of these VZ aluminum MSHs in my New Agent: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=50984/pid=23737/Product/Officers_Lightweight_MS_Housing__Checkered__Black

This one is for Gov't models: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=50107/pid=23737/Product/Govt_Lightweight_MS_Housing__Checkered__Black

This is the steel one that I put in my Desert Warrior: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=46799/pid=21493/Product/Lanyard_Mainspring_Housing

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc68/gunnyg_photos/Private/AR15/DSC06619.jpg

I'll have to look - seems like the thinner grip.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:46:46 AM EDT
Grips can be had in thick or thin stlyes for either govt model or officer model/compact frames.  The critical difference is that the compact frame is slightly shorter - about 3.6" versus 4.1 for the GM. Simiarly, the MSH on the officer model/compact is about 1.5" versus 2.0".
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:30:12 AM EDT
I will check today - again - thanks for the guidance.  IMHO it's that freaking sear spring causing the trigger issues.  I don't know why, but I always seem to have a hard time getting the thing in properly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:13:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2011 5:15:35 AM EDT by DakotaFAL]
I will check today - again - thanks for the guidance.  IMHO it's that freaking sear spring causing the trigger issues.  I don't know why, but I always seem to have a hard time getting the thing in properly.
Me too, I just don't do it enough to get good at it.

It's like re-assembling a Ruger Mk I, II, etc - I know how to do it, but since I don't do it often it's something of a re-learning process every time.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:24:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Buliwyf:

Thanks

Factory spec is 23 pound for the main spring.
I've run 19 on all my comp and carry pistols for years with no problems.
Above info is for 5", but I can't this changing for different sized guns.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:34:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:

It's like re-assembling a Ruger Mk I, II, etc - I know how to do it, but since I don't do it often it's something of a re-learning process every time.

It's not bad.

Start out with the sear and disconnector in place.  Point the frame downward about 45 degrees.  Grab the sear spring by its backwards curving leg (the grip safety leg).  Place the hooked bottom of the sear spring into the slot in the frame, then lay the top two fingers on the sear and disconnector.

Then, insert the MSH and slide it about 2/3 of the way up.   This will hold the sear spring in place while you install the hammer.

While holding the strut up out of the way, insert the hammer and hammer pin.  Then flip the strut down, and bring up the MSH as you align the strut with the MSH pin cup.  

At this point you should be able to slip the grip safety into place.   Pull the trigger and gently  let the hammer all the way down as you bring the MSH up into its final position.  Then tap in the MSH pin.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:57:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:

It's not bad.

Start out with the sear and disconnector in place.  Point the frame downward about 45 degrees.  Grab the sear spring by its backwards curving leg (the grip safety leg).  Place the hooked bottom of the sear spring into the slot in the frame, then lay the top two fingers on the sear and disconnector.

Then, insert the MSH and slide it about 2/3 of the way up.   This will hold the sear spring in place while you install the hammer.

While holding the strut up out of the way, insert the hammer and hammer pin.  Then flip the strut down, and bring up the MSH as you align the strut with the MSH pin cup.  

At this point you should be able to slip the grip safety into place.   Pull the trigger and gently  let the hammer all the way down as you bring the MSH up into its final position.  Then tap in the MSH pin.

I'll give it a try.  Lately it's a PITA.  Sometimes I lay it right in and others - ain't happening.
Top Top