Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2010 7:13:51 PM EDT
Alrighty, my first and last Glock was a G26.  I purchased it back in 1995ish and sold it about a year later.  I just did not like the sight alignment, so I sold it.  

I'm a huge XD fan and I'm now looking to give Glock a try again.  I know that the Kaboom incidents are due mostly to reloads.  I'm I right, in that they occur more often in more powerful calibers(357/45)??  

At a local gun shop, they have a new G19 9mm, in the tan color, with two 15 round mags for $535.00.  From what I gather, that seems like a good price for a purchase in a gun shop.  What do you think?

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I know that the Kaboom incidents are due mostly to reloads.  I'm I right, in that they occur more often in more powerful calibers(357/45)??  

Any gun can Kb with overcharged loads. Don't worry about the internet Glock bullshit.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that the Kaboom incidents are due mostly to reloads.  I'm I right, in that they occur more often in more powerful calibers(357/45)??  

Any gun can Kb with overcharged loads. Don't worry about the internet Glock bullshit.

Gotcha, what about the price?
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
ipaid 519 for my 23w/ 2clips you can get them around here for 569 w/ night sights  the 21 are around 600
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

what about the price?

That's a pretty common price.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock's are prone to it because of the unsupported chambers. Reloading brass fired in a Glock can cause the head to fail. New brass is less likely to be a cause of a KB unless it is overloaded. I shoot reloaded 40's through my G22, but intentionally load them light so that I keep pressure down. When I notice brass getting thin I let those lay after I shoot them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#6]
A Glock shouldn't blow up if you follow the instructions.  Don't shoot reloads or unjacketed ammo.

Does Glock still have the discount for LE and military buyers?  I bought my 23 a few years back on the cheap through that program.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Does Glock still have the discount for LE and military buyers?  I bought my 23 a few years back on the cheap through that program.

Yes. $398.20

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked a Glock 17 about two months ago, and have since ran 500 rounds in reloads that I've made. 300 of those were loaded to max charges. 200 of them were loaded on the same brass.

Since a Glock 21 uses .45 acp which runs at lower pressures than 9mm it would be more safe if it weren't for the lack of a fully supported chamber.

$535 is the average street price. I picked up my 17 for only $375, but it was used albeit like NIB with extras.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Glock's are prone to it because of the unsupported chambers. Reloading brass fired in a Glock can cause the head to fail. New brass is less likely to be a cause of a KB unless it is overloaded. I shoot reloaded 40's through my G22, but intentionally load them light so that I keep pressure down. When I notice brass getting thin I let those lay after I shoot them.

Really, genius?

Then why haven't ANY of those .40 cases, fired from my G23, failed, in any way?  Even the ones loaded 13 separate times, in the medium-to-hot range?

Or any of the 9mm cases shot through my G17 and G19.........................some of 'em on the 15nth loading, with no signs of wear/pressure?

OP, this is what GLOCKREAPER meant about the KB bullshit posted on the internet........prime example.  Fucking ignore it, there are literally thousands of us who prove it WRONG every fuckin' day.

The price you quoted sounds about average.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#10]
That price is average. Generally in my area $525 is the number, $550 for Generation 4, and a bit more for the .45 series. This past week Cabelas was running a special on Glocks for $499. I say at the price you quoted to buy it and enjoy for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:19:50 AM EDT
[#11]
That price is average in my area as well. Nothing to go peeling out of your driveway for. If you are set on a tan frame, they seem to be a little harder to come by, so perhaps now is the time to jump on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, thanks for the replies.  I'm definitely going to pick up a G19, but I'm gonna pass on the one I saw at the shop. I'm gonna shop around for a better price.  Color is not a priority.  Although, I'd like OD, tan and black, in that order.  If a black one comes up at a great price, I'll grab it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A Glock shouldn't blow up if you follow the instructions.  Don't shoot reloads or unjacketed ammo.

I was just reading that they do.  Even to retired guy, like me, which is cool.  Apparently, you had to go through an authorized Glock dealer to get the discount.  Glock found out that some of those dealers were jacking up prices and then applying the discount. So, it really was not a discount
.  Now, you can order and pay directly from Glock to get the discount and then they ship it to the dealer.  I'm going to call tomorrow and get the scoop.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I know that the Kaboom incidents are due mostly to reloads

What you don't read is how infrequent they are. And the fact that millions of rounds of ammo goes through glocks each day & they function just fine. What you do read is the same internet BS repeated over & over which leads to inflated "facts".
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got that same handgun (Glock 19 OD) in my area for $497.00 if it helps.

ETA: Except that I got OD, not tan. DOH!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really, genius?

Then why haven't ANY of those .40 cases, fired from my G23, failed, in any way?  Even the ones loaded 13 separate times, in the medium-to-hot range?

Or any of the 9mm cases shot through my G17 and G19.........................some of 'em on the 15nth loading, with no signs of wear/pressure?

OP, this is what GLOCKREAPER meant about the KB bullshit posted on the internet........prime example.  Fucking ignore it, there are literally thousands of us who prove it WRONG every fuckin' day.

I won't disparage you with a subtle insult moron. This is a once fired .40 S&W fired out of my G 22. Just how many times would you load this one? Come on "genius" 1,5 or 15? Me it goes once more and I leave it for someone else to try their luck.
Now having said this I am witness to three occasions where the case failed in a G19 using commercial re manufactured ammo. All three times the mag was blown out the bottom of the gun and the shooter got his hand stung. He happens to be a Glock armorer and firearms instructor for a state agency here. But what does he know?

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I just got that same handgun (Glock 19 OD) in my area for $497.00 if it helps.

Yes, that helps a lot.  How many mags did it come with?

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really, genius?

I won't disparage you with a subtle insult moron. This is a once fired .40 S&W fired out of my G 22. Just how many times would you load this one? Come on "genius" 1,5 or 15? Me it goes once more and I leave it for someone else to try their luck.
Now having said this I am witness to three occasions where the case failed in a G19 using commercial re manufactured ammo. All three times the mag was blown out the bottom of the gun and the shooter got his hand stung. He happens to be a Glock armorer and firearms instructor for a state agency here. But what does he know?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/DEG169/g40.jpg

Hey genius, do some research.  There's something wrong with YOUR gun, seriously.  I've NEVER had a case come out of my G23 looking like THAT, with so pronounced and defined a bulge like that.  They all have a very slight bulge to them, but NEVER like that.

What gen is your G22?

If my gun fucked cases up that way I wouldn't reload for it either.  That is NOT normal, I don't care what you say.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Hey genius, do some research.  There's something wrong with YOUR gun, seriously.  I've NEVER had a case come out of my G23 looking like THAT, with so pronounced and defined a bulge like that.  They all have a very slight bulge to them, but NEVER like that.

What gen is your G22?

+1 That looks like an early .40 barrel.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Glock only makes an "OD".

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock only makes an "OD".

Seriously?

Because then my eyes are deceiving me
.  I saw one in a shop recently and handled it.  I could have sworn it was tan.  I even said to the shop clerk, "I like the tan color" and he did not correct me.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Plus;

Quoted:

That price is average in my area as well. Nothing to go peeling out of your driveway for. If you are set on a tan frame, they seem to be a little harder to come by, so perhaps now is the time to jump on it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Seriously?

Serial.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
These were shot out of a 3rd gen G22. Sized on a Dillon SDB.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

Serial.

Fruit Loops

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#26]
The OD Glocks do look a cool tan color in certain lighting.  My brother is selling his OD 17 for $500 and I think its unfired. Damn him for living out of state.  I'd like to have it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, genius?

I won't disparage you with a subtle insult moron. This is a once fired .40 S&W fired out of my G 22. Just how many times would you load this one? Come on "genius" 1,5 or 15? Me it goes once more and I leave it for someone else to try their luck. Now having said this I am witness to three occasions where the case failed in a G19 using commercial re manufactured ammo. All three times the mag was blown out the bottom of the gun and the shooter got his hand stung. He happens to be a Glock armorer and firearms instructor for a state agency here. But what does he know?

What gen is your G22?

If my gun fucked cases up that way I wouldn't reload for it either.  That is NOT normal, I don't care what you say.

I agree something is wrong I first thought that was the base of a 300Win mag with the belt around the base of the cartridge.

I had to double take that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I will add that my gun has never been messed with. It is as it was when it left Glock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, I still think something isn't right with that barrel.

If I had a pistol that made brass look like that, I'd be contacting the manufacturer immediately, send it back to them, buy a new barrel.............something.

Does it do that consistently, with all kinds of ammo?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just reading that they do.  Even to retired guy, like me, which is cool.  Apparently, you had to go through an authorized Glock dealer to get the discount.  Glock found out that some of those dealers were jacking up prices and then applying the discount. So, it really was not a discount.  Now, you can order and pay directly from Glock to get the discount and then they ship it to the dealer.  I'm going to call tomorrow and get the scoop.

Can you really buy it directly from Glock with the discount? That would be fantastic, because I have a dealer that does $10 transfers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

Serial.

Super, even.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My agency shoots over 1,000,000 rounds each qualification twice a year, we have had Glocks since 1990 and have NEVER had a Kb. That is with 9mm and .45GAP.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, genius?

I won't disparage you with a subtle insult moron. This is a once fired .40 S&W fired out of my G 22. Just how many times would you load this one? Come on "genius" 1,5 or 15? Me it goes once more and I leave it for someone else to try their luck. Now having said this I am witness to three occasions where the case failed in a G19 using commercial re manufactured ammo. All three times the mag was blown out the bottom of the gun and the shooter got his hand stung. He happens to be a Glock armorer and firearms instructor for a state agency here. But what does he know?

Ive never had a case come out of any of my glock 40's looking like that and I have owned 3 glock 22's and a glock 27. theres something wrong with your ammo or gun.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just reading that they do.  Even to retired guy, like me, which is cool.  Apparently, you had to go through an authorized Glock dealer to get the discount.  Glock found out that some of those dealers were jacking up prices and then applying the discount. So, it really was not a discount
.  Now, you can order and pay directly from Glock to get the discount and then they ship it to the dealer.  I'm going to call tomorrow and get the scoop.

Can you really buy it directly from Glock with the discount? That would be fantastic, because I have a dealer that does $10 transfers.

Well, I've been reading that you can online.  I tried calling Glock earlier today and was transferred to someone's voicemail and I left a message for him to return my call.  No return call yet, I'll let you know what they say.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Glocks are tested at the factory to withstand a load of 30% over the standard pressure.  If you blow up your Glock then you shot some seriously hot rounds.  But you shouldn't shoot reloads anyway.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm I right, in that they occur more often in more powerful calibers(357/45)??

I don't think I've heard of a .357 kB-ing

And as for the .40 bulging, I bought a new G23 bbl to use in a G32, the barrel I'd guess was made sometime in 2009 since I ordered it Jan 2010. It has excellent chamber support, and the fired brass has absolutely NO bulge at all.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Glocks are tested at the factory to withstand a load of 30% over the standard pressure.  If you blow up your Glock then you shot some seriously hot rounds. But you shouldn't shoot reloads anyway.

Why would you make THAT statement?  Going off the owner's manual?  Gee, that would apply to almost all firearms then, wouldn't it.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glocks are tested at the factory to withstand a load of 30% over the standard pressure.  If you blow up your Glock then you shot some seriously hot rounds. But you shouldn't shoot reloads anyway.

Why would you make THAT statement?  Going off the owner's manual?  Gee, that would apply to almost all firearms then, wouldn't it.

+1  Pretty much all owners manuals say that, no matter who built the weapon.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Indeed, why the fuck would charliehorse794 make that statement?

Care to back it up, charliehorse?  Or you just, as I said, spouting what you've read in owner's manuals?

We're waiting.............................and of course, thousands of us have put thousands of our own reloads through a great many weapons, and weapon types, with no problems whatsoever................................

We're waiting............................................
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Care to back it up, charliehorse?  Or you just, as I said, spouting what you've read in owner's manuals?

We're waiting.............................and of course, thousands of us have put thousands of our own reloads through a great many weapons, and weapon types, with no problems whatsoever................................

For the life of me I really cannot decide if you are just a passionate Glock owner unwilling to hear anything you don't agree with. Or just an asshole? Has it occurred to you that there is truth in what some of have said? I do notice that you go immediately for childish insults. I have proven to you that stretching above the case head does happen. Has Glock tightened their chambers I don't know? I just measured my 2nd and 3rd gen G22's and the back of the chamber measures .440. I have read on Glock Talk that newer Glock 40's have more support for the barrel than previous guns. But for you to tell everyone in a round about way that were all idiots looks bad for you. You take all the chances you want with your gun and your hand. Don't make others take that same chance if they don't want to. They can hear both sides and make their own decisions. Just so you know I've been hand loading for about 25 years now. Not an expert, but have never blown up a gun with my reloads.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Had a friend who had a .22 rifle kaboom because of defective ammo.  

Stick with the 9mms and you should be fine.  That being said I've got an old Gen2 model 22 that is very accurate that is my favorite pistol.  Use it for CCW, goes bang every time.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#43]

What appears to be a ridge (not a bulge?) in that case looks like something that happened in the sizing die. I have seen cases that looked like that when the case was sized slightly off center in the shell holder.  I don't know any way it could have happened in firing.

Proper reloads are safe in any gun. Improper reloads are unsafe in any gun.

If I never again hear "Glocks KB due to unsupported chambers"  I will be happy. But I'm not holding my breath.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ya, like $389 in Austin for a G22, I think G22C is about +$20, with letterhead.  Peace Officers, Commissioned Security Officers, Registered Personal Protection Officers, etc.

and how much is .40 ammo where the rest of you live where you have to risk reloads?????  FMJ Winchester/american eagle/etc. is only $13.49 a box at any WallyWorld in TX...
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

For the life of me I really cannot decide if you are just a passionate Glock owner unwilling to hear anything you don't agree with. Or just an asshole? Has it occurred to you that there is truth in what some of have said? I do notice that you go immediately for childish insults. I have proven to you that stretching above the case head does happen. Has Glock tightened their chambers I don't know? I just measured my 2nd and 3rd gen G22's and the back of the chamber measures .440. I have read on Glock Talk that newer Glock 40's have more support for the barrel than previous guns. But for you to tell everyone in a round about way that were all idiots looks bad for you. You take all the chances you want with your gun and your hand. Don't make others take that same chance if they don't want to. They can hear both sides and make their own decisions. Just so you know I've been hand loading for about 25 years now. Not an expert, but have never blown up a gun with my reloads.

It's not about "opinion".  This is a technical forum...........when we see factually incorrect statements made, alot of us, who give a shit, counter them.  This is a technical forum.  Folks come here to learn (me included) and it's a disservice to noobs to say things like "but you shouldn't shoot reloads anyway", because that is factually incorrect.

I calls 'em like I sees 'em, always will.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It's not about "opinion".  This is a technical forum...........when we see factually incorrect statements made, alot of us, who give a shit, counter them.  This is a technical forum.  Folks come here to learn (me included) and it's a disservice to noobs to say things like "but you shouldn't shoot reloads anyway", because that is factually incorrect.

Ok, that is fine, but I see no point in your name calling, to me that belongs in GD, not in a tech forum. But you must admin that unsupported chambers coupled with reloading high pressure rounds are the leading cause of KB's. This happens with major loaded 38 super and un ramped barrels and in the Glocks. While it is not factual to say don't shoot reloads, it is proper to warn them of what reloads not to shoot. Would you shoot lead in your Glock with a factory barrel?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, that is fine, but I see no point in your name calling, to me that belongs in GD, not in a tech forum. But you must admin that unsupported chambers coupled with reloading high pressure rounds are the leading cause of KB's. This happens with major loaded 38 super and un ramped barrels and in the Glocks. While it is not factual to say don't shoot reloads, it is proper to warn them of what reloads not to shoot. Would you shoot lead in your Glock with a factory barrel?

Pot, this is kettle, over.  Read your own posts here.

No, see, ALL autopistols have "unsupported chambers".  This is part of the problem, people getting their technical facts wrong.  C'mon.  And no, it's OVERCHARGED ammo, and/or firing out of battery that is the reason for the VAST majority of these KB's.  Again, this is a technical forum, get your facts right.

With that, I am done with this thread.  This stupid bullshit is going nowhere, and it's muddying up a Tech Forum.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just reading that they do.  Even to retired guy, like me, which is cool.  Apparently, you had to go through an authorized Glock dealer to get the discount.  Glock found out that some of those dealers were jacking up prices and then applying the discount. So, it really was not a discount.  Now, you can order and pay directly from Glock to get the discount and then they ship it to the dealer.  I'm going to call tomorrow and get the scoop.

Well, I've been reading that you can online.  I tried calling Glock earlier today and was transferred to someone's voicemail and I left a message for him to return my call.  No return call yet, I'll let you know what they say.

Ok, I called Glock, and you can buy them direct. BUT... they factor in sales tax for about 30 states and charge $10 shipping. So, I'm going up to Scottsdale Gun Club...
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I called Glock, and you can buy them direct. BUT... they factor in sales tax for about 30 states and charge $10 shipping. So, I'm going up to Scottsdale Gun Club...

Yeah, that kind of sucks.  But, if I went into a gun shop, I'd pay taxes anyway.  So, I think the discount is $100.00, minus the $10.00 shipping.......oh, the FFL too.   $90.00, minus $20.00.........$70.00 savings.  I guess I'll shop around a bit more.  I'm in no rush anyway.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that kind of sucks.  But, if I went into a gun shop, I'd pay taxes anyway.  So, I think the discount is $100.00, minus the $10.00 shipping.......oh, the FFL too.   $90.00, minus $20.00.........$70.00 savings.  I guess I'll shop around a bit more.  I'm in no rush anyway.

It's definitely a good deal if you don't have a LEO distributor near you. But I do, so I'm going to go there. If I didn't, I would just get one straight from Glock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top