Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 5:02:33 PM EDT
Ok guys, I need to know if any of you know what to do about this problem.

I bought a KP95DC last November. To this point, I have only put about 300 rounds through it. When I first shot it, I would get a jam every other mag using UMC 115 gr MC. I also shot 50 rounds of Wolf 115 gr and it jammed once.

I went to the range today, and put 100 rounds through, 50 Wolf, and 50 UMC. Both worked about the same. I got at least one jam per mag, and sometimes two and three.

Also, about 1/4 of the time, the slide does not lock back on the last shot.

I just picked up 400 rounds of Winchester 115 gr FMJ, sporting goods had them for $5.99/50, so Im going to try these.

If anybody has any ideas what to look for as the source of this problem could you please let me know. This was going to be my defensive handgun, but not with problems like this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You only have one magazine for it? If you have two, both fail to lock? And what kind of jams did you have? Failure to extract/eject? True, the gun should work as is in the first place and this does not instill confidence. If you got it new, for sure, Ruger will cover it, even though you shouldn't have to send it back. If you have a few extra bucks, maybe try some +P ammo to get the slide going, full travel. It kinda sounds like the recoil spring is too strong/new at this point, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got one of these.  Behaves just like yours with UMC ammo.

Switching to hotter ammo solved the problem.  Winchester white box stuff cycles mine without stovepiping.

I've never had a problem with the slide failing to lock back, however.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you pulled the extractor and checked for any crud?  I have seen stuff get caught between the extractor and the slide keeping the extractor from going all the way in to its home position.  I had this happen on a P89 after many thousands of rounds, and saw the same thing on a P97 that was almost new.  Only takes a couple seconds to clean it out.

Oh, and be careful you don't drop or loose your decocker parts while the extractor is out, as that is what holds them in.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You only have one magazine for it? If you have two, both fail to lock? And what kind of jams did you have? Failure to extract/eject? True, the gun should work as is in the first place and this does not instill confidence. If you got it new, for sure, Ruger will cover it, even though you shouldn't have to send it back. If you have a few extra bucks, maybe try some +P ammo to get the slide going, full travel. It kinda sounds like the recoil spring is too strong/new at this point, IMHO.

It was purchased new, and I have two magazines. Both have failed to lock. I have had a few failure to eject, round is  half out of the chamber and loose but the slide jams because it cannot bring the next round up out of the mag. I have also had many eject and then tip the next round sideways (doesn't chamber). I'll try some hotter loads, but I don't know if it will help the feeding jams.

Thanks, anothergene
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've got one of these.  Behaves just like yours with UMC ammo.

Switching to hotter ammo solved the problem.  Winchester white box stuff cycles mine without stovepiping.

I've never had a problem with the slide failing to lock back, however.

I just bought 400 rounds of Winchester 115 GR full metal jacket. The number on the box is Q4172. Is this the ammo that you are using?

The slide not locking back is driving me nuts!

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have you pulled the extractor and checked for any crud?  I have seen stuff get caught between the extractor and the slide keeping the extractor from going all the way in to its home position.  I had this happen on a P89 after many thousands of rounds, and saw the same thing on a P97 that was almost new.  Only takes a couple seconds to clean it out.

Oh, and be careful you don't drop or loose your decocker parts while the extractor is out, as that is what holds them in.

I haven't pulled the extractor yet, The pistol is new. I'll give it a try.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just bought 400 rounds of Winchester 115 GR full metal jacket. The number on the box is Q4172. Is this the ammo that you are using?

The slide not locking back is driving me nuts!

Thanks

I may have mis-spoke when I said Winchester white-box.  The stuff I'm shooting is Winchester, and it comes in a white box, but it's not the "generic-style" white box.  I've got the 100rd value-packs of 115 FMJ you can get at Walmart for $11.

I imagine the Q4172 is similarily loaded, so I hope it works out for you.

The only thing I can say definitively is that my P95 hates lightly loaded ammo (UMC, PMC, etc).  Never had a problem with winchester or mid to hot handloads.

Reading your other messages, it doesn't appear that your problems mirror mine.  The only problems I've ever had were FTE (stovepiping).  This is probably a dumb question, but you're seating the mags fully when you insert them, right?
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]

pc627,

I got the ammo at Sports Authority for $5.99 for a box of 50.

I hope this stuff works. It has target/range marked on the box so it may be a little light. If it is, I'll shoot it up and then handload some hotter loads.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top