Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2009 4:45:33 PM EDT
Hi all, I picked up my New Uberti 1873 Cattleman steel New Model / Walnut grip- 5.5" barrel .45 LC  cant wait to get to the range this weekend!
Very nice fit and finish! Action is pretty smooth also! The bluing looks very good,  as does the color case hardening
Sorry for bad pics, I will try to take some better "day light" pics

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't mind me asking, how much does one like that go for?

That is a really nice looking gun!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Great looking piece there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
nice SB !  You will have fun with that one for sure
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll like the 5.5" bbl.

What is the going rate these days?

- AG
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You'll like the 5.5" bbl.

What is the going rate these days?

- AG

looks like about 400- 450 on gunbroker
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all I just picked up a box of Winchester cowboy .45 colt! cant wait for this weekend!

I don't think I did too bad with the price, I paid $474.00 +tax

I ordered it from my gun shop , and it came in in less than a week

It's raining all day here in NY(Long Island) So the better pics will have to wait.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]
A spring kit will greatly improve the fun factor for it.  I have two of them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the 5 1/2 in cattleman in the old west finish and it came with beautiful striped walnut grips, stock! Brand new from uberti for 500 two years ago. In my opinion they are the best cowboy action reproductions available for the money, way better than ruger!
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I will pick up a wolff spring pak? I emailed wolff, and they say use the one listed for the Uberti Regulator.

Yeah, The quality of this Uberti is outstanding! I am very happy with my purchase, even with some recommendations to "save your money and buy a better Vaquero"
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
BTW, I noticed that none of my screw drivers fit any of the screws on my uberti ! (the screwdrivers are too thick) what screw driver set do you guys use for dis-assembly?
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I will pick up a wolff spring pak? I emailed wolff, and they say use the one listed for the Uberti Regulator.

Yeah, The quality of this Uberti is outstanding! I am very happy with my purchase, even with some recommendations to "save your money and buy a better Vaquero"

naaah –– you did great ––I personally would rather have a Uberti than a Vaquero for this reason -     The Uberti is a faithful  Colt copy,  while the Vaquero is ruger's own "modern" design, the only thing in common with the real deal is the fact that they are single actions and look similar.     But i might add, and i am sure others have warned you too –– a true Colt repro like yours should be carried with one empty under the hammer to prevent an accident if its dropped.      

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

naaah –– you did great ––I personally would rather have a Uberti than a Vaquero for this reason -     The Uberti is a faithful  Colt copy,  while the Vaquero is ruger's own "modern" design, the only thing in common with the real deal is the fact that they are single actions and look similar.     But i might add, and i am sure others have warned you too –– a true Colt repro like yours should be carried with one empty under the hammer to prevent an accident if its dropped.      

Thank's, I read about 5 rounds, and hammer down on empty chamber It is also in the Uberti owners manual.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BTW, I noticed that none of my screw drivers fit any of the screws on my uberti ! (the screwdrivers are too thick) what screw driver set do you guys use for dis-assembly?

Nevermind I will pick up a good set of "hollow ground" screwdrivers
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#15]
What you mightl want to do, if you are fairly handy with tools, is get a Brownells SAA stoning kit and some good mini files. The stoning kit has 3 stones for polishing the bearing surfaces, one is specifically made for the hand slot. The insides of Ubertis can be pretty rough, left over tooling marks, etc. I found that after stoning the appropriate surfaces, the guns are very smooth, and really didn't need lighter springs.

The bolt, generally from the factory, is fit juuust enough to pass operation testing. I've had eight pairs of Uberti revolvers, every one needed "tweaking" to get a good bolt/cylinder slot fit. You need to have the best bolt fit possible, especially if you will run the gun hard, i.e. shooting 2-handed and cocking with your off thumb very, very fast. Poor bolt fit can cause the cylinder to over rotate, misaliging the chamber & bore. Not good. It can also cause the dreaded cylinder ring (drag marks from the bolt).

Just a note on the Wolff spring pack. I have a pair of the Model P Ubertis (basically the same gun as yours) and I dropped a spring pack in them. I had several lights hits that failed to set off the primers (Win & Fed), took them back out and replaced the originals - no more problemos. But, your gun may be different

Jerry Kuhnhausen has a very good resource book for SAA revolvers (and just about every other handgun too; Ruger DAs, S&W DAs, Colt DAs & 1911s, I got'em all) and goes into extreme detail about the workings of the SAA guns.

Gun books

After shooting, be sure to check the hammer screw, it tends to loosen up after several rounds. I tighten mine after every match.

Now, get some black powder cartridges and shoot it like you mean it!
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the info! Well, I already ordered the wolff spring pak. I will try it.
Will definitely try and clean up the internals Made it to the range today, and put 49 rounds through her at 12 yards, very nice shooter I spoke to another guy at the range, he told me he had the same gun and that he installed the wolff spring pack and loved it -  no problems. We'll see.

I did notice the hammer screw was a bit loose, I think after the spring pak install, I will use some loctite.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#17]
nice pistol!  i eventually want to get a saa uberti.  a smith and wesson 586 is higher on the list though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice!

I have the basic model, with the brass grip frame.

I think I paid $270 at sportsmans two years ago.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice!

I have the basic model, with the brass grip frame.

I think I paid $270 at sportsmans two years ago.

Nice I priced one  at a local shop, I think it was around $340. It was called the "Hombre"

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I like it, it's a good shooter, but I wish I spent a little more for the pretty model though.

There was another model called the gun fighter or something, it had the same finish as mine, but it had the steel grip frame, and some dark brown checkered grips for $50 more.

I bought some snap caps with it, and tore into it to clean up the action, I found a good website that tells you what to do.
http://www.hobbygunsmith.com/Archives/Oct04/Interview.htm
The machining in mine was pretty rough, it made a big difference.

I played with mine alot, and I managed to break the little leaf spring spring on the cylinder lock twice, but brownells.com seems to carry just about all the spare parts needed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I love Single Action Army models. My first firearm I bought as an adult was a Colt SAA with a 7-1/2 barrel. Later I added an Uberti with the same barrel length. I was in an Old West SASS group for a few years, several years ago. I carried the Colt in an Old West Reproductions Cheyenne holster and the Uberti in a crossdraw holster I bought from a maker at a buffalo gun shoot in Montana.

These are a great gun to learn to reload with, if you don't reload yet. You don't have to chase your brass. I used a single stage press. I like Redding products.

GL
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#22]
My Wolff spring pack came yesterday , and installed it last night. Wow, what a difference! Sweet! I already reload for my AR-15's.(Lee Loadmaster) I am contemplating getting the Lee 1OOO complete set up for .45colt, or just get a new turret, dies, powder measure , shellplate for my loadmaster.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Nah, just get a Dillon Square Deal already set up for .45 Colt so you don't have to change your Lee!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#24]
If I do decide on a complete set up it will be Lee Precision. I am more than happy with my Lee Loadmaster
IMO, Lee Precision offs the "Best Bang for the Buck"!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top