Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2010 7:15:09 PM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

Just picked up an Advantage Arms rimfire conversion and a couple of extra mags for a Gen4 G17. This will be my first AA kit, and I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. Any tips or suggestions for optimum performance? Thanks in advance!

Here are a couple of pics:

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice. Can't offer any suggestions but looking forward to hearing how it works for you. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Follow the directions that they send with it......

I was bound and determined that I didn't need to oil it, and that I could shoot federal bulk ammo with success.......then i went back to the manual...haha.

If I put a few drops of oil where it says to, and run Remington golden bulk ammo.....it runs like a top.

It is also pretty darn accurate. I can do golf ball size groups off hand at 25 feet. That isn't going to win any metals or anything, but that is pretty good for me anyway.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Run a couple bricks of Mini-mags through it to break it in and DON'T use the slide stop as a slide release. It will wear down the notch on the aluminum slide. I speak from experience.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Run a couple bricks of Mini-mags through it to break it in and DON'T use the slide stop as a slide release. It will wear down the notch on the aluminum slide. I speak from experience.

I thought there was a metal insert at the notch location?????
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The conversion I bought about 4 years did not have any insert. I'd like to know if they have one now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Had mine close.....

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the pic. Its great they added that. Any idea why their website says to not use on Gen 4 frames?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pic. Its great they added that. Any idea why their website says to not use on Gen 4 frames?

I think they must have something specif that is different on the conversion for the gen4......but I am not sure what is changed. Which is probably exactly what you are asking I am not sure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My mistake. I did not notice OP's slide was marked Gen 4.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for your help guys

I'm kind of curious about the difference between the Gen3 and Gen4 conversions myself. I'd like to pick up a Gen3 G17 to round out my small collection.

Here's a closeup of the Gen4 slide-are there any obvous differences between the Gen3?

Looking underneath my slide, it looks absolutely identical to HK_Dude's slide (thanks for posting those pics ).
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Love mine.  Lube it up and go by some bulk ammo.  MIne shoots the Remingtom "Golden Bullets" fine.  I shoot CCI Stingers when I cant get the bulk packs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Love mine.  Lube it up and go by some bulk ammo.  MIne shoots the Remingtom "Golden Bullets" fine.  I shoot CCI Stingers when I cant get the bulk packs.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked that AA suggests the Rem bulk packs, because...well...I've got a few

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:59:20 AM EDT
[#14]
My weekend plans got scuttled due to a problem at work but I finally got out last night to break in the conversion.

In a word...wow! This thing is a ton of fun. Per the advice above I used MiniMags to break it in, and I followed the lubrication instructions in the manual. Had a couple of FTEs and an FTF (feed) early on, but that was before everything got loosened up.

This conversion has real possibilities, and in my humble opinion it's just crying out for a threaded barrel and a can like HardShell's setup. I'm about to order a barrel, and I need to do some research to figure out what suppressor to order. My experience with suppressors is fairly limited-the only one I own currently is a Gemtech HALO for the ARs. Any suggestions? My local FFL has a YHM that can be taken apart for cleaning. While the ability to tear it down sounds awfully nice I have no idea how the YHM suppressor rates with others of it's kind.

Thanks again for all of your help everyone
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had one for my G19 for about a year.  With mine, reliability is 100% with Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs until about 300-400 rounds, then it starts to get a little too dirty.  With the MiniMags, it's more accurate and reliable.  

I have tried Winchester and Federal bulk packs and it likes neither of them.

I also had Heinie sights installed on the slide to match my 9mm slide.

Easily one of the best purchases I have made in recent years.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had mine for about 10 years. Didn't get much use until I had the barrel threaded. Now I run my aac pilot on it whenever I use it. Luckily it pretty much keeps the remmy bulk pack ammo subsonic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top