Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2006 4:21:34 PM EDT
I just bought a P220R used for $530 in very good condition.  A friend of mine bought a NIB 220R from the same store the day before.  I noticed that there are several differences between the two.

His has the blackened stainless slide, and has an internal extractor of a different design than mine, which has the old style pinned-in breech block and mandrel-bent sheet metal slide.  His extractor is exposed on the underside of the slide rather than the 226/229's design which is external.  

The firing pin plungers are slightly different.  Mine came with Hogue rubber grips (not sure if they were stock at any time) and his have the plastic stockers.

Mine came with a 7-round mag, his came with two 8-rounders.  I was wondering if I can convert my 7-rounder to an 8-rounder.  What would be involved?  Change the spring/follower?

When did Sig produce railed P220's with the carbon steel slide, and when did they make the switch to stainless slides for the 220?  I have heard some people say that the rail is different on the newer 220's, but I didn't take notice of this.  Is there any difference?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
interesting...is one german and the other not?

if you want 8 round mags just buy some. dont bother with mod'ing the mag.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
interesting...is one german and the other not?

if you want 8 round mags just buy some. dont bother with mod'ing the mag.

My slide is made in Germany, but the frame has no markings to indicate country of origin.  I believe all railed frames are made in the NH plant, but I"m not sure.

I'm also not sure where my buddy's slide was made.  I'll have to ask him.

The only bad thing about this gun is the ridiculous cost of mags.  I can't find them for under $30.  Factory mags are $40!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
mags are the heart and sole of a reliable gun..dont skimp on the mags because they seem simple
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
mags are the heart and sole of a reliable gun..dont skimp on the mags because they seem simple

I ordered three of the Novak's 8-rounders.  People swear by them and they're a lot less expensive than factory mags.  I'll post up when I can confirm that they are reliable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
the novak acts are gtg
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The only bad thing about this gun is the ridiculous cost of mags.  I can't find them for under $30.  Factory mags are $40!

I've been very happy ordering from Top Gun Supply:

Top Gun Supply

New factory mags are $29.99 and used ones are usually around $19.95.  Only problem is that he doesn't always have every type of mag in stock - for example, right now he only lists new nickel P220 mags in stock (8 rounders) and his used 7 round mags are out of stock.  Keep an eye on the site though - my orders arrived fast and the prices were good.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you have a nice gun.  I just bought a similar 220R...

The slide is stamped and says made in Germany and the frame has no markings other than the serial number.

Ive done a lot of research on the differences in the 220 slides, as well as some hands on.  The milled stainless slide on my 220 Carry is heavier, and slightly thicker/wider than the stamped slide on the 220r.  The stamped slide 220s are a little lighter, and, balance better IMO.  Also, the slide grip serrations go completely from top to bottom on the stamped slides Ive seen, and they only go up about half way on the milled slides...the ones I have seen anyway...

I prefer the stamped slide.  headed to the range now...Ill report after...

Hope you enjoy yours!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
snip...  The milled stainless slide on my 220 Carry is heavier, and slightly thicker/wider than the stamped slide on the 220r.

Does anyone know whether the 220R is compatible with holsters for the regular 220?  Does stamped vs. milled make one too tight?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip...  The milled stainless slide on my 220 Carry is heavier, and slightly thicker/wider than the stamped slide on the 220r.

Does anyone know whether the 220R is compatible with holsters for the regular 220?  Does stamped vs. milled make one too tight?  

I tried a few P220 holsters.  Some will fit the railed gun, some will not.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
After a cleaning and lube...fired 400+ rnds of WWB, CCI Brass, mixed ammo, and 230 gr Gold Dots...

Boringly reliable as the bullseye disappeared into a nice hole of daylight.... Nice gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top