Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2003 9:05:23 AM EDT
We might be purchasing a small house to use as a weekend getaway for friends and relatives.  It is out in the middle of nowhere, the desert.  I've been thinking it would be a good idea to get another handgun to leave at the house for defense, against snakes, of course.  I want to leave it hidden at the house because I don't want to risk transporting on the airlines.  This may be just an excuse for me to buy another gun.  However, which one would you recommend?  I'm looking for a reliable 9mm, that can be hidden from kids or anti-gun relatives.  I will be packing it on hikes, again for snakes.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#1]
For a "do anything" house gun I would never recommend a 9mm.  IMO, for the application you have described I would choose a Smith & Wesson 686 w/ a 4" barrel.  This would give you the kind of versatility you're looking for and the stainlesss steel construction would keep it well while you are away.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Glock or Springfield XD. Use .40 mags in the XD for hi-cap capability with 9mm's. Build a hidden compartment somewhere and lock the gun up inside...should not be too hard to do, but don't tell anyone...except maybe your wife.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto on the S&W. That way you can use "snake shot" & not worry about a slide cycling. Lots of police trade-ins for around $200 or so. Check out KY Imports for good buys.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for a .357.  You can find the S&W's used for around $300 and the Rugers for even less.

.38 snake shot is handy for, well, snakes and other nasty little varmints.  A good .357 magnum load for home defense, or regular .38+P for those unable to manage the recoil of the magnum loads.  Plus, .38 plinking ammo is about the cheapest stuff available.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the ideas.  The reason I'm leaning toward the 9mm is, I don't have one yet.  I do have a Ruger .357 Security Six, but it kind of has sentimental value.  I don't want other kinfold lugging it through the desert and dropping it or worse.  How about a Glock 19?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't want other kinfold lugging it through the desert and dropping it or worse.  How about a Glock 19?

Dude, are you not reading the messages? Get a used S&W so you won't cry if it IS dropped.

Glocks are good guns but you won't ever be able to hit a snake with it nor will it cycle with snake shotshells. Not to mention trying to hit a very small snake head with a standard bullet, it just isn't possible with an adrenlin dump.

Hell, if you want a Glock, go buy one. Just don't expect it to be good for what you want.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I kind of second the idea of buying the Glock just 'cause you want it but, for the specific application you described, I'd go with a used S&W M65. Fixed sight, .357 (with all the ammo flexibility that gives you), stainless and probably pretty cheap. Get a PD trade-in and you can feel even more secure that it was kept in decent mechanical shape.

Hell... think I just talked myself into another one....
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
If you hide it they will find it, most likely.
(Kids know all the good hidin' places)
A stainless .357 makes the most sense to me too.
On some makes, removing the front sideplate screw will remove the cylinder, rendering it useless without both parts, depending on how much you want to prevent theft or other problems with unauthorized use.
Just typing out loud...
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never seen this snake shot shell.

What is the spread of the pattern ?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:08:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Pattern isn't anything to write home about. Picture the number of pellets that can fit in a .38spl dimension shell.

But they are good for poppin snakes which pop out of nowhere at you, so you're at close range.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Revolver.

But NIX the idea of leaving it hidden at the house. That's a non-starter. If you have to leave it, buy a save that can be bolted to the foundation and leave it in that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:17:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I knew I could count on you guys for good gun advice.  It sounds like I need two guns, a 9mm and a cheap revolver.  Thanks!  Wait, I must tell the wife.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top