Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 7/20/2010 1:15:47 PM EDT
Do you guys experience a reduction in reliability when running a aftermarket barrel such as jarvis? The chamber being significantly tighter I am assuming it requires a stricter diet of ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:16:37 PM EDT
i've only used three brands of aftermarket barrels.
kkm for 10mm; it took a little work w/lwd longslide.
lwd in 9mm-much tighter chamber.
lwd in 45-no problems that i remember.
ymmv.
sorry but i have no experience w/jarvis!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:06:51 AM EDT
I have a Jarvis barrel for my 6" 45acp G21L and yes, initially the tighter chamber did invite more failures to chamber.  I opened up the chamber a bit and it feeds like a champ.  Lone Wolf will open up their match chambers a bit upon request.  My custom G24 has a LW barrel with an opened chamber  and it feeds 100% too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:23:57 PM EDT
Lonewolf used to sell them as stainless but they were really blued.  I confirmed this with Jarvis, but the owner of Lonewolf did not immediately change the website... hmmm...

I had a 17 barrel, the chamber was tight and would force XTP bullets into the case increasing the pressure.  I called Jarvis and my conclusion is Jarvis was rude and honest, but Lonewolf was either dishonest or a moron.  I cut the chamber and it would then work.

In my experience, Bar-Sto are the best aftermarket, but for most useful purposes Glock stock barrels are all that is necessary and are well made.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:24:43 AM EDT
the only reason to use an after market barrel is to shoot lead(I already call bs- clean your regular barrel every 200 round or so and no worries) and since lead reloads tend to have a greater chance of being off spec anyway (casting variation etc) you knid of defeat the purpose of the after market barrel.
I find no reason to use any barrel but that which came with the gun
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:34:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2010 11:54:06 AM EDT by Checkmate762]
Originally Posted By captain127:
I find no reason to use any barrel but that which came with the gun

i strongly agree with one exception... if looking to run conversion setup, well then obviously, an aftermarket barrel is needed. (40 to 9mm, 10mm to 40/357, 45 to 10mm, etc.)

ETA: check that, make it 2 exceptions... see post below!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:47:13 AM EDT
My main reason for purchasing a jarvis barrel is to run threads so that I can attach a suppressor
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:53:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Noveske_Fan:
My main reason for purchasing a jarvis barrel is to run threads so that I can attach a suppressor

this is another reason to replace the factory barrel...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:06:44 PM EDT
I'm jealous my state does nto allow us mere subjects to have supressors so that is not an option for me
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:27:44 PM EDT
I do not have any experience with a Jarvis barrel in a Glock, but I do have one for my SIG p228 and it works great.  I have never had a problem with it.  I do plan to purchase a Jarvis barrel for my G26.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:02:40 PM EDT
No experience with Jarvis barrels, but my LWD conversion barrel was unreliable due to the overly tight chamber, had to be reamed out a bit to function well.  Also a few contact areas were stoned and polished, very lightly.

It now runs 100% though.
Top Top