Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 5:49:44 AM EDT
Last round in the magazine fires, then goes to a 45 degree angle and then the slide comes forward and crunches the front of the empty against the breech.  Then it takes quite a while to get it out.  Anyone else have that problem?
Solutions?
Thanks
Anthony
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#1]
What brand of magazines? The follower on the USGI style magazines can hit the bottom of the empty case and cause it to stovepipe. This usually happens with the cheap coppies, not the real USGI magazines.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
See if it does the same failure with a Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick magazine.  If it doesn't, all you have is a cheap magzine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Weak mag springs.

Replace springs or mags - whichever is easier.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#4]
...........what mag do you have?...............
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Which brand of 1911 is it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It is happening with 8 rd wilson magazines.
the gun is a Kimber warrior.
I have put over 6K rounds through it since I got it in December
Anthony
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It is happening with 8 rd wilson magazines.
the gun is a Kimber warrior.
I have put over 6K rounds through it since I got it in December
Anthony

How's the tension on the extractor?  It might be too loose.

It has been my experience that when using a 1911 that has too little extractor tension, the fired case can slip down when the slide unlocks.  With a flat or concave follower, the round can drop far enough to not eject.  With additional rounds in the mag or with a rounded follower, the case can't slip down as far and will eject like it should.  

This might be what's happening with your pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
That sounds like an extractor adjustment problem, although same symptom can be caused by short slide travel - like with addition of a too-thick buffer on the spring guide.

It only happens with the last round because the next rounds in the magazine help push out the empty.

One way to check extractor tension:  the extractor should hold a round against the breech face.  Take off the slide to check.

To add tension: short version -- remove the extractor and bend it.  

There are varying ways to go about that, including using a tool designed for the job.  Most of us simply clamp the back end in a vice - or stick reversed in the extractor tunnel for a quick in-the-field adjustment -  then push the tip inward.  A little at a time.

Check for "clocking"  - the extractor rotating in the tunnel and loosing it's grip on the empty.  More tension helps.  Permanent fix is tighter firing pin stop fit.

Also check that the hook is intact, of course.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Two great minds, singing as one.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Two great minds, singing as one.....

Ha!  I beat you by 30 seconds!  Actaully, your post is longer so you were typing first.  I'll give you the credit this time.

Sorry for the threat drift!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I sent them back to wilson.  I am gonna try it again when they return... if it does not then the extractor is gonna get a once over.
Thanks
Anthony
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't let it discourage you. The extractor thing is a commonly overlooked QC measure from the big companies that churn em out by the thousands. It's  as simple as not screwing a lightbulb in all the way and once fixed, you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top