Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 4:36:41 PM EDT
I picked one of these up just recently and it looks like it would be a decent platform for a suppressor. so does anyone know how to remove the barrel so I can get it threaded? it's very much like a walther TPH.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It's pressed in.
You have to make a simple barrel press, similar to those used to change barrels on the Walther PP series, and the Markarov.

Gun Parts sells parts, and have a fair exploded view:
www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0770zTP22

The press is basically two pieces of flat bar stock joined by two threaded rods.
One piece has a plastic or brass pad to protect the muzzle, the other fits the frame just behind the barrel and has a hole that will pass the barrel.

The front part fits over the muzzle with the pad touching the barrel, the other end is over the frame end with the hole centered over the chamber end of the barrel.

After driving out the barrel retention pin, the nuts on the top part are tightened, and the barrel is pressed out the rear.

To replace the barrel, the tool is turned around so the hole is on the front of the frame and the barrel will pass through it.
The rear section is put over the barrel with the pad on the chamber end, and as the nuts are tightened, the barrel is pressed IN the frame.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks a lot, I looked but I can't see a barrel retaining pin or a hole for one anywhere
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The IJ may just be pressed in extra tight.
This could be a problem since the frame might distort if you use the above referenced home-made press tool to remove it.

Another option is to use a tap die with a guide stud that fits down the bore to keep the die straight.

This is how AK-47 owner's thread the muzzle of un-threaded barrels.
The die set has a steel pin that's a close fit in the bore, and this serves to keep the die aligned straight on the barrel.

In this case, it'd have to be a custom set.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top