Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 1:31:33 PM EDT
I had to send my brand new(I haven't even gotten to shoot it yet) Springfield Champion back to Geneseo to have the slide/frame fit fixed along with the nice rubbing of the finish on the left side of the dust cover.  While it is there, I figured I would go ahead and have the custom shop checker the front strap.  I found out today that the custom shop would take from 4 to 6 weeks from the time after it gets done getting the rubbing problem fixed.  That is supposed to take from 2-6 weeks.  Crap, I'm not gonna see my pistol, I waited 6 months to save for, until fricken March!  The soonest I might see it is about Feb!  I hate waiting!  I realize I screwed myself by having the custom shop work on it, but I figure I am saving $50 in shipping by having them work on it now.  I never even got to shoot it.   I think I'm gonna cry.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Patience is a virtue my son. Just think what a nice piece you'll have when it returns. I'm like you, I hate to wait also. I also think that virtue stuff is crap and if the QC was better at these places people like you and I who slave and toil for monthes and years to save for a firearm wouldn't have to return a brand spanking new gun to be put in the condition it should have been in before it was shipped out the door of the factory in the first place ......... Deep breath......Ohm, Ohm, Ohm, Ohm, Ohm.....happy place shabo, happy place.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I also think that virtue stuff is crap and if the QC was better at these places people like you and I who slave and toil for monthes and years to save for a firearm wouldn't have to return a brand spanking new gun to be put in the condition it should have been in before it was shipped out the door of the factory in the first place .........
Shabo

Ya know, isn't that the truth.  I have only bought two new pistols this year.  The Springfield and a P22.  Both have problems.  The walther/S&W broke the hammer spring after about 300rds.  At least they sent me a new hammer spring very quickly and let me replace it myself with the option to send them a box of parts if I couldn't get it all back together.  I'm sick of buying new guns that break.  I should stick with C&R stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm.  2 out of my 3 Springfield 1911s rub the left side of the dust cover.  I've been debating whether it was worth sending them in.

I fixed the problem myself, but the marks in the finish are annoying.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#4]
How did you fix it yourself.  I tried polishing the inside of the dust cover, but that didn't do any good.  More of the slide rubbed against the dust cover.  I think the frame/slide fit was not true, because of the contact with the dust cover.  I have seen several references to a left side rub on springfields.  It looks like they should have been able to fix this.  If you look at my pistol from the front it was obvious that it was riding on one side.  The gap between the slide and dustcover was pretty large on the right side and there was no gap on the left; hense the rub.  At least mine was Stainless.  On a blued version, it would be really, really noticeable.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been debating whether it was worth sending them in.

, but the marks in the finish are annoying.

Ya, know, I debated this too.  I finally decided I paid too much for a gun to have this kind of problem.  If I wanted to deal with this kind of problem, I could have bought a Llama, RIA, or Charles Daily.  But, to have bought a pistol that retails for 842.00(of course I didn't pay that much) and have it have this kind of fit/finish problem just doesn't seem right.  I bought the most expensive 1911 I could afford/save up for, and did not feel like I should settle for this kind of fit and finish.

Thankfully, Springfield has a lifetime warrenty. I just hope they fix it right the first time.  They have been very nice to deal with so far; very nice people, who have made me feel at ease about my pistol getting fixed as fast as is possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top