Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2013 11:51:41 AM EDT
Picked up this guy today, my first 1911.
I suppose there isnt anything wrong with the firearm itself persay.

So after field stripping, and cleaning her i went to my bedside gun and took off the Surefire x300.
When you purchase one it comes with 2 other inserts. Shown below.

There is one insert marked P for Picatinny rails, and One marked U for universal.
The issue im running into is when i install either insert the flashlight wont install onto the rail.
Its binding on the rails, essentially the 1911s rails are out of spec and too wide, or the flashlights rails are too slim.
Shaving area pictured below.

Essentially my issue is that if i shave away the rails on the flashlight it wont be able to fit firmly on my other sidearms.
Does anyone know of a fix for this ? or am i doing something wrong? What insert did everyone use on their x300 to make it work properly for my rail?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Wish i could help...i run a TLR.....
Go to a local gun shop and try to put another light on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Always work on the cheapest part.

I would get with a good dealer such as Brightflashlights, etc. and see if I could get a second insert that I could shave down...in fact, SF themselves might send you one for free. I suppose you could also just buy a TLR since Primary Arms (probably some other places as well) have theirs on sale at $86 or so. Sure as Hell I would not mess with the rail on the pistol.
View Quote

I got my TLRs from Brightflashlights for the same price..
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you try loosening the six bolts that hold the rails on the light?  Hopefully that will do the trick.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
My Glock is the only firearm I have where my x300 just slides on.

On my m&p45 it shaves polymer frame off. And on my Springfield TRP operator it removes finish from the frame as you stuff it on there....have fun getting it back off.

I tried loosening the 6 bolts until it slid more freely and that fixes it, but then its loose on my Glock.
I just picked the one gun it would live on and set the tension up for that. Believe I'm using the U marked insert.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Well i got it installed, but theres no way this flashlight was designed to be installed this way.

I didnt use the P or U marked insert, i used the third unmarked insert with the U marked wedge.

Then i installed the right side rail portion held with three screws then put the flashlight on the rail.
Then very tediously installed the left side rail portion held by the other three screws and torqued them in a star pattern, so that the flashlight didnt tilt.

I dread the day these batteries die.
Im most likely going to pickup a Stream light TLR-1 for this 1911 and leave my x300 to my glock.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well i got it installed, but theres no way this flashlight was designed to be installed this way.

I didnt use the P or U marked insert, i used the third unmarked insert with the U marked wedge.

Then i installed the right side rail portion held with three screws then put the flashlight on the rail.
Then very tediously installed the left side rail portion held by the other three screws and torqued them in a star pattern, so that the flashlight didnt tilt.

I dread the day these batteries die.
Im most likely going to pickup a Stream light TLR-1 for this 1911 and leave my x300 to my glock.

Thanks for the help guys.
View Quote

I love my TLR, i like the momentary on being where my supprt side thumb is. That being said, if your gona look at a new light look at the Inforce. It is slim, bright,  only one battery and the momentary on is easy to use.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had to file the plastic rails down on x300's before.  I had a few that were super tight on picatinny railed AR forends.  Once I filed them down they fit as intended.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did you try loosening the six bolts that hold the rails on the light?  Hopefully that will do the trick.
View Quote

That's what I had to do with mine, the upside is you know that dang thing ain't coming off
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top