Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2016 12:25:44 PM EDT
Bought a used 19 with this in it. Don't have much experience with the aftermarket rods so I am not sure what it is supposed to look like. The forward end is threaded and the washer piece was just sitting in there.

If anyone knows who makes it or whatever that would be great. Gun would probably work without any of the front at all but I try to at least attempt to do it the right way

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks kinda like a Jager Products guide rod, but I could be wrong.

The front is threaded for a allen-head screw that with the washer "captures" the spring.  

Without the screw, it's fine.  They even tell you you can run it that way "uncaptured".  

Those screws are notorious for backing out and falling off under recoil.  I use blue locktite on mine and check them periodically.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that is an ISMI recoil spring. Just order a glock factory replacement...they are very cheap. You can use the one you have it will just be non captured   dont use that washer
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that is an ISMI recoil spring. Just order a glock factory replacement...they are very cheap. You can use the one you have it will just be non captured   dont use that washer
View Quote

If I buy a new one it will just be a factory one most likely. This was a spare that will be going into a top end I am building as a suppressor host.

If all it is missing is the capscrew I might go see if I can find a cheap one that will thread in and retain that washer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]
no need for the cap screw. I much prefer the guide rod to be non captured IF I am using different barrels/suppressors so I can fine tune the spring weight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
no need for the cap screw. I much prefer the guide rod to be non captured IF I am using different barrels/suppressors so I can fine tune the spring weight.
View Quote

So my only other question is does the washer serve any purpose other than capturing the spring? I wasn't sure if it acted as a seat for the spring in the slide or not.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
NO,  the washer is used in between the cap screw and ISMI spring to capture the spring...don't use the washer the way it is
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NO,  the washer is used in between the cap screw and ISMI spring to capture the spring...don't use the washer the way it is
View Quote

Gotcha thanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Uncaptured Springs are a pain to reinstall I would buy one that is held together they are 30 bucks on glockstore
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Uncaptured Springs are a pain to reinstall I would buy one that is held together they are 30 bucks on glockstore
View Quote

Not that hard and it's not like I do it a lot. If I buy a new spring assembly it will be oem
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes but they are way easier if you swap different weight springs based on load you are shooting.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Excellent point
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not that hard and it's not like I do it a lot. If I buy a new spring assembly it will be oem
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glocks originally did not have captured springs, all first gen and I think some second gen.   Any Glock armorer that repairs a pistol usually removes any aftermarket guide rods and springs.  It is a quick way to eliminate that variable.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Glocks originally did not have captured springs, all first gen and I think some second gen.   Any Glock armorer that repairs a pistol usually removes any aftermarket guide rods and springs.  It is a quick way to eliminate that variable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have ever put a recoil spring back in a P22 without the tool then this is cake.

I could have totally had a friend drag it to the gssf shoot as I think they usually give away parts but it really doesn't bother me and was free. It will be going in a aftermarket slide against a aftermarket barrel
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I run non captured on my competition glocks, but trust the factory guide rod more for self defense.

IIRC, the factory part is about $7.50.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I run non captured on my competition glocks, but trust the factory guide rod more for self defense.

IIRC, the factory part is about $7.50.
View Quote

Yeah they are dirt cheap. Only reason I even have this thing is it came with a gun I bought. Since I now have a barrel, guide rod and spring, and guts I need to buy a slide and sights so the upper is complete.

Vicious cycle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top