Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 9:30:41 AM EDT
Have just received a new 686 4" barrel.  At the breach end there are ridges abut 3/8"  long in the grooves only.  The ridges run the same direction as the grooves.  Other than the short ridges the grooves are uniform except the groove finish has what I would describe  as a bead blast appearance. I'm real concerned about the ridges.  Is this normal?  Will it affect accuracy?  I understand S&W uses some kind of new technology to put the grooves in the bore instead of button or broach etc. methods.  I'm sure they'll exchange or refund my purchase.  My other Smiths have the original barrels,  all at least 10 years old and show no imperfections at all. Thanks to all replys.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what the heck you're describing but I cannot imagine a gun getting out that was defective. I would compare it to another new 686 & see if they're the same???????

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I will compare it to a new 686 since I'm told the rifleing grooves are not cut in useing a helical broach as in the past. Not sure what method they use now but will surely find out on the forums or direct from S&W.  It maybe that this is normal for todays new S&W barrels.  I purchased a S&W 1006 new in 94' that had 2 defects from the factory.  The barrel had a deep scratch likely from the tooling to ream the bore.  It crossed 2 and half  of the lands.  Same gun also had about the poorest  finish I've ever seen on the spring guide rod.  Have owned at least 14 Smiths and the 1006 was the only one with issues.  S&W service was excellent.  Sent pistol in for inspection and received it back about 10 days later with new guide rod and barrel.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I had $10 for every S&W shipped out with a defect since 1965, I would be a very wealthy man, indeed. I have seen new revolvers that would not even open, guns that would not fire, guns that would fire, but not extract / eject, guns with broken hammer pins, bent center pins, chambers that would not chamber...you name it.

Then how did they pass test firing at the factory if they wouldn't fire nor open????

No slam intended, just wondering.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

ETA: You absloutely would not believe the problems a State agency headquartered here had with new Colt Python SS revolvers they purchased for issue. So many they finally stopped buying the Pythons

I've been told by several owners that their Python was a POS. I never would've guessed that until they had told me this.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I had $10 for every S&W shipped out with a defect since 1965, I would be a very wealthy man, indeed. I have seen new revolvers that would not even open, guns that would not fire, guns that would fire, but not extract / eject, guns with broken hammer pins, bent center pins, chambers that would not chamber...you name it.

Then how did they pass test firing at the factory if they wouldn't fire nor open????

No slam intended, just wondering.

Like any big corporation, Fridays and particularly Friday at the end of the quarter makes for a certain lack of quality control to meet shipment goals.   Ship now, fix later.   It is a reality.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
a  state agency in my neck of the woood  just had almost a dozen new  model 65's  have the barrle shot off while firing rumor has it that the state and s&w are going to court  over  this any thoughts ?
ps I did directly observer the barrlel fly off while shooting 38+p  158 gr jacketed hp at a range , twice in the same day .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top