Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 10:15:17 AM EST
other than the firing pin chamber?

I was cleaning the P239 today and there were some places that I couldn't really get to, so I was thinking about getting some CLP in the spray can and just washing the whole thing down. Is this a bad idea? Will it make powder run down into places it shouldn't be, or will it lube stuff that shouldn't be?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:01:05 PM EST
yeah, your grips. take them off before spraying that stuff
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:33:05 PM EST
A good way to do that is remove the grips and drop it in a plastic pan of odorless mineral spirits and use a tooth brush . You can shake out the slide and frame , lightly blow dry it , and then oil the necessary parts lightly. Its not good to saturate a pistol in oil to clean it as it could cause problems. After cleaning and re-assembly you can snap it a few times on an empty chamber then re-dry the barrel and chamber. Over oiling this type of pistol would probably hurt the ammo (primers) more than the actual pistol. On a striker type pistol like an XDM , oil can actually do damage to the pistols ability to fire correct..
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:50:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1in7:
. Over oiling this type of pistol would probably hurt the ammo (primers) more than the actual pistol...

This myth has already been busted.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:10:02 AM EST
Excessive oil on ammo running into the mags from the frame ,and excessive oil in the barrel or chamber can cause pressure problems and possibly a blown bullet case . Thats why its best to use something that de-oils and just add oil on needed parts or oil according to the instructions provided with the pistol. If you use a system of odorless mineral spirits dunking it will work fast , dry, and be less of a problem to hold excessive oil. Excessive oil can cause problems, but less problems with this type of pistol as they are all different.
Top Top