Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 7:40:33 PM EDT
Just wondering since I haven't hear of any local or federal groups using it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the Rochester Police Departments SWAT team uses the HK USP45.  There are some places in NY that use the HK USP45 in compact or fullsize but not many.  The DEA adopted the HK USP40 Compact, and also the INS I believe also got into the HK USP40.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
the Gastonia PD in NC uses the USP .45
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Rumor is that it is in limited unofficial use in the military.  Not sure if it's true but some say there are a few floating around special forces units since people don't like the brick that is the socom.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard, but not confirmed, that the WA State Patrol is switching from Berettas to HK's. I have also seen our local county deputies carrying HK's. The local PD SWAT team uses the tactical 45.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Santa Barbara County, California, Sheriffs Department.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#6]
North Richland Hills, Texas uses an H&K 45, which I presume is the USP.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Tucson P.D. was the largest single user of USPs (.40) but they are phasing them out to Glocks after trouble with them and poor support from HK USA.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Tucson P.D. was the largest single user of USPs (.40) but they are phasing them out to Glocks after trouble with them and poor support from HK USA.

What kind of problems is Tucson having? I never heard of any major problems with the USP before. If they are switching to Glock .40's, I doubt they will be any happier when they start KB'ing in their faces.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:55:35 AM EDT
[#9]
The problems were related to the safety. Funny how LE Glocks don't KB. And by the way I saw a USP at an IDPA match KB. KB is a stupid term, they are almost all case failures.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
USP 9, 40, & 45 are all approved for on duty use by my agency. But they are not issued guns. they are option guns if you choose to buy your own.

The issue guns are all S&W, Glock, Sig, & Walther.

Most employees who chose to buy their own duty weapon buy Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The problems were related to the safety. Funny how LE Glocks don't KB. And by the way I saw a USP at an IDPA match KB. KB is a stupid term, they are almost all case failures.

Regarding KB's and LEO's, see my first post in this thread and also the post by Lumpy196 on page 4.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=187792&w=searchPop

There is more to Tucson switching from HK's than is told. Yes, they had problems with the safety control/decocker lever and HK is not the best at customer service, but NONE of the problems were KB, FTF, FTE or any other similar issues.
The MAIN reason they switched is the TPD armorer is a glock nut, seriously, and had a major role in them switching. Oh, that and glocks are always the low bid guns and Tucson is in a huge budget crunch and it was time to replace their older HK's. Regardless of ANY excuse you hear from anyone on this, IT IS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY !!
Just talk to the guys at Diamondback police supply where many local LEO's shop and hang out and you'll get their "story" on it. Funny how they are a HUGE glock dealer and badmouth other weapons (especially HK's) while pushing glocks.
Wonder why that is ??
I have several friends on TPD and some retired who had NO problems with their HK's and liked them enough to buy their own, in .45 though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Glock are cheap to make that's why they can give deep discounts to LE.  They are also lightweight, which is offset by their hi capacity. Which is a pretty good trade off. It's not about quality or reliablity. When you go camping do you bring your silverwear or plastic? Why because they are lightweight, cheap, disposable, and they work.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's not about quality or reliablity. When you go camping do you bring your silverwear or plastic? Why because they are lightweight, cheap, disposable, and they work.

I would have to disagree with that.  A person that has to carry a pistol everyday for work, where there is the possibility of getting into a violent situation, wants the best one he or she can get.  Comparing the use of "silverware or plastic" to something that you might need to save your life in the line of duty is not a good example.  Quality and reliability is a must.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]
This from someone soon to own a Beretta. Are you old enough to drink? This place cracks me up.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Columbus, OH SWAT uses HK USP .45's.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#16]
And what is the monkey shooting?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Who you calling a monkey? That's me at an IDPA shoot with my Glock.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

While KB may be a rather lame term, it's obvious that the Glock .40 cal and .357 Sig caliber pistols suffer far worse with this affliction than all other Glock calibers combined. I have been reading lots of discussions regarding Glock KB's over at tacticalforums.com lately and it seems that the high pressures combined with unsupported chambers and the Glocks ability to fire out of battery are the 3 major causes of this. You don't hear of it happening with 9mm Glocks. And while I hear of more breaking problems with the .45 cal Glocks, little in the way of KB's with this one either. So it seems that it isn't one factor that causes these as much as two or more combined.

I love the Glock 17 and consider it one of the best no frills, reliable and practical pistols for police use or civilian self defense. I also like the Glock 19. But I have seen many credible reports of the so called KB's happening with Glock, namely in .40 cal and .357 Sig...which also happen to be high pressure rounds. Hmmmmmmm. And while many of these reports are with lead roundnose reloads, I have read many reports of it happening with brand new, quality, factory ammunition. And most of the reports I am speaking of came from police agencies. This is why I stick with Glock 9mm's because the pressure generated by this round evidently isn't enough to cause the pistol to fail in the same manner as with other models of different calibers.

BTW, many recommend adding a Bar-Sto barrel which does use a supported chamber to help keep the dreaded KB from happening. But for me I just couldn't justify the cost so I swapped my G22 to a G17 and have been a happy man.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Loudoun County Virginia Sheriff's carry HK USP's.  Course Loudoun County Virginia is home to HK, so that may have something to do with it!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted: It's not about quality or reliablity. When you go camping do you bring your silverwear or plastic? Why because they are lightweight, cheap, disposable, and they work.

In my experience with Glocks, I have found them to be one of the MOST reliable hanguns I have carried on duty.  Having carried S&W, Glock and now a Beretta, I much prefer the Glock over the rest hands down.
I think the Glock "plastic" handles LEO duty better than most metal frame guns.  My Beretta has little dings here and there even though I take very good care of it.  I never had ANY problems with my Glocks.
As soon as I get my AR outfitted for work, I will be buying a Glock 21 to replace the department issued 9mm.  Last I heard, my agency (large-approx 900 sworn), is changing to Glock .45's, but it is unknown how soon.
I have found Glocks to be like brands of cars.  Everyone is partial to certain brands.  Either you like Glocks or you don't.  But you can't say they are an inferior product to any other gun manufacturer out there.
The H&K is authorized to be carried in my agency as well, but I only know of a couple deputies who own carry them.  Most who buy a duty gun end up with Glocks, mostly the 21 (.45).
I own a Glock 22 (.40) and a 17 and a 26 (9mm), and have NEVER had any type of failure with any of them, no KB, nothing.  Nearly all of the failures I have seen in them are either from the ammo or the shooter.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#21]
San Bernardino P.D. (Calif.) SWAT uses the HK USP45.  Great bunch of guys - true professionals.  Just got done w/5 days of training with these men in CQB tactics @ Camp Pendleton's MOUT City.

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#22]
St. Johns County Fl Sherifs Dept issues USP45's to all of its officers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#23]
My agency, Hillsborough, CA PD, just transitioned from Beretta 92Fs to HK USP .45 Auto.  We also issue USP .45 Compacts to Admin and Detective types.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top