Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2007 2:15:54 AM EDT
Hello, just bought a cz-52 and noticed that some people were complaining about ammo prices of the 7.62x25 when cheap ammo was one of the reasons that I got it!  Is surplus ok with it or am I asking for the slide to come flying off or some other disaster?  Thanks in advance for any info.

ETA:  I apologize if this has been asked a million times, I couldn't find it using search.
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 2:47:43 AM EDT
[#1]
not just yeah, but hell yeah.  CZ52s love surplus ammo.  Be sure to clean it good afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay away from the Yugo stuff.  Hard primers, I dumped all mine, it  sucks.  

No problem using othe surplus stuff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got some Yugo and the primers are problematic at best.

FYI, I seem to remember problems with some 1953 Bulgarian ammo.  It was loaded too hot for the CZ52 and there have been some damaged CZ52's as a result.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

FYI, I seem to remember problems with some 1953 Bulgarian ammo.  It was loaded too hot for the CZ52 and there have been some damaged CZ52's as a result.

which is amazing too since the CZ was specifically designed for hot ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but any gun can be pushed beyond it's limits if the ammunition is loaded too hot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but any gun can be pushed beyond it's limits if the ammunition is loaded too hot.

yeah, I just wonder what the hell the Yugos where shooting that hot ammo in.  The CZ was specifically designed to shoot hot ammo for the submachine guns
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, I just wonder what the hell the Yugos where shooting that hot ammo in.  The CZ was specifically designed to shoot hot ammo for the submachine guns

Here, found the reference concerning the Bulgarian ammo problems:
www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/bad.htm

Any lesser gun shooting the ammo would probably have resulted in injuries.  The shooter was lucky to be using the CZ52.  Note how high the pressures spiked on some of that ammo!
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#8]
So this Romanian stuff is ok?
AIM Romanian
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
AIM Romanian

I've only heard good things about it.  Seems to be relatively clean and consistant.  Just make sure to clean your gun when you're done shooting any surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a military gun, it used military ammo, makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Modern commercial ammo such as Prvi Partizan, Sellier and Bellot, etc. is fine too. Wolf sells JHP ammo too, and Reed's Ammo makes custom loads- bullets, powder, etc.
Link Posted: 4/8/2007 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
AIM Romanian

Yeah, good stuff.

I just bought a can of that last month and it works great. Its not as accurate or consistent in my CZ-52 as S&B is, but it a hell of a lot less expensive. Its great blasting ammo.

As for other surplus, it depends. I have some surplus (Bulgarian, I think) that has markedly more recoil and report than the Romanian and S&B stuff. It also shoots WAY off POA. I thought the gun was broke or had sights that were off until I tried S&B.

I'd stay with the Romo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Shoot it at dusk if possible.The fireball is impressive to say the least!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I use milsurp exclusively in my CZ52. Be sure to check your locking rollers for wear. The ones that come on it seem to be soft and wear easily. I replaced mine with aftermarket hardened.

IMX
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AIM Romanian

I've only heard good things about it.  Seems to be relatively clean and consistant.  Just make sure to clean your gun when you're done shooting any surplus ammo.

Is it corrosive?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AIM Romanian

Is it corrosive?

ALL surplus ammo is corrosive. If it's surplus, it's corrosive. The ONLY exception to this rule that I've ever heard of is the 7.5x55mm ammo for the Swiss K-31 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AIM Romanian

Is it corrosive?

ALL surplus ammo is corrosive. If it's surplus, it's corrosive. The ONLY exception to this rule that I've ever heard of is the 7.5x55mm ammo for the Swiss K-31 rifle.

So the SA battle packs I have been shooting through my AR is corrosive?
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AIM Romanian

Is it corrosive?

It never hurts to assume that surplus is corrosive.  Most surplus calibers are.  There may be a few exceptions like 7.5Swiss or some recent 5.56 ammo.  If you have some non-corrosive surplus ammo, more power to you.

With the 7.62x25 surplus ammo, however, it should be assumed to be corrosive.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AIM Romanian

Is it corrosive?

Yes. Your rifle is ruined now. Give it to me for disposal and I'll make it up to you with some non-corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. Your rifle is ruined now. Give it to me for disposal and I'll make it up to you with some non-corrosive ammo.

I'm serious. I always thought WW2 era ammo was corrosive, not 1980 stuff. I have shot it and let it set without cleaning, let alone using Windex.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm serious. I always thought WW2 era ammo was corrosive, not 1980 stuff. I have shot it and let it set without cleaning, let alone using Windex.

1980's, depending on where it's from, probably isn't corrosive. Anything from the 70's or older, and especially from former com-bloc nations I assume it's corrosive by default.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I used the Romanian and Yugo stuff. I had to double strike every Yugo, got sick of it and gave it to a guy behind the counter at the range. Tried the Romanian stuff and only had a few that needed double stiking. I then used the Wolf Gold HP and man did the fire come out of that muzzle! and was totally reliable. Would be a good thing for SD but the CZ shoots such high velocity I don't know if it would be a wise choice, legality wise. BTW everything fed and ejected no matter the double strikes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:02:42 AM EDT
[#23]
The ammo with hard primers was, according to popular belief, intended for SMG's primarily. I don't know how accurate that information is. So if you have a CZ-26 SMG (you can build them from parts kits and 80% receivers fairly inexpensively) or a semi-auto PPSh-41 from Military Gun Supply, then it should work just fine, while the softer ammo is better suited to your CZ-52 or TT-33 pistols.

Wolf Gold is currently the only widely available source of JHP ammunition in 7.62 Tokarev, though other manufacturers currently make it, and Reed's Ammo makes custom ammunition in the caliber.

As for its velocity and 'legality', that's just bullcrap. 7.62x25mm Tokarev isn't any less suited to self-defense than any other caliber simply because of its high velocity and penetration. Really, the only reason I would hesitate to use the caliber for self-defense is the fact that hollowpoints in the caliber are quite new and there hasn't been much research to find out if these .30-caliber pills are reliably lethal. There is no reason why you would get in trouble for using a particular caliber or type of ammunition in self-defense.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I knew I was going to hear something when I wrote that sentence. Well the reason I say so is that along time ago my local shop by my old house told me how they tested the CZ-52 against body armor at their range and it shot straight through with FMJ.  Everyones choice is theirs, was just making a suggestion...nobody needs to follow it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I knew I was going to hear something when I wrote that sentence. Well the reason I say so is that along time ago my local shop by my old house told me how they tested the CZ-52 against body armor at their range and it shot straight through with FMJ.  Everyones choice is theirs, was just making a suggestion...nobody needs to follow it.

7.62 Tokarev WILL penetrate low level body armor with the right ammo. However, unless your kevlar vest is properly backed with clay or ballistics gelatin, just about centerfire caliber will penetrate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top