Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/18/2009 4:25:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 4:27:11 AM EST by JPNY23]
Just bought a glock 19, rail and finger groves. Don't know what generation it is but it is in mint condition. After handeling it a bit I noticed that if the trigger is depressed while I am holding it in the firing position and I point the muzzle down or up I hear a clicking noise. If I do the same with the trigger in the reset position I hear it very slightly.

I took the slide off and moved the slide back & forth and noticed the firing pin moving. My brother in laws glock does not do that, is this normal or is something wrong with my handgun?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:32:49 AM EST
Rail and finger grooves = 3rd generation

With the trigger depressed, the clicking that you're hearing is the firing pin/striker moving back and forth in the channel. Completely normal.

With the trigger reset, the noise is significantly reduced as the firing pin/striker is now under tension.

What's weird to me is that your BIL's Glock doesn't make these same noises.

Have you shot your new 19 yet? It's a great gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:10:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hero:

I'll bet the striker channel is full of gunk and grease, that's why the BIL's is quiet. OP, Hero is absolutely correct... the noise is good, no noise is bad...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:01 AM EST
Thanks for the assurance, I thought I had a lemon. I haven't shot it yet, but this weekend I will. I had a 19 seven or eight years ago, a beat up gen 1 ( no rail or finger grooves) shot great. It was just way too beat up so I traded it for a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:31:02 AM EST
Definitely a lemon you should just give it to me... I even called Glock and they said it was trashed and to send it to me. I will send you an address to send it to.

Nahh mine all do that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:33:49 AM EST
Ah, yuo should have kept that old G19. Nothing wrong with a beat up Glock. Good grab on the new one, though!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:38:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 8:41:36 AM EST by JPNY23]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES_45:
Definitely a lemon you should just give it to me... I even called Glock and they said it was trashed and to send it to me. I will send you an address to send it to.

Nahh mine all do that.

no can do brother, the day I got my pick up voucher I bought a stream light rail light, holster and some 15 rounders for it, too deep in $$ to let it go.

Hero, the gen 1 was nice, it was a police trade in and it had chips on the frame and scratched galor. I could not look at it back then and see the character it had. This one is used also but it is in excellent shape. I'll post a pic tonight.

Told my brother in law about the no noise is bad and he said he's going to strip it completely and clean her out.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:42:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Hero:
Rail and finger grooves = 3rd generation

With the trigger depressed, the clicking that you're hearing is the firing pin/striker moving back and forth in the channel. Completely normal.

With the trigger reset, the noise is significantly reduced as the firing pin/striker is now under tension.

Have you shot your new 19 yet? It's a great gun.

This. They should ALL exhibit that, it means the Firing Pin Channel is clean and free of debris.

Perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:56:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By JPNY23:
Thanks for the assurance, I thought I had a lemon. I haven't shot it yet, but this weekend I will. I had a 19 seven or eight years ago, a beat up gen 1 ( no rail or finger grooves) shot great. It was just way too beat up so I traded it for a 1911.

there are no glock lemons.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:54:24 PM EST
What you are doing when holding the trigger back and shaking it lightly is actually one of the tests I was taught in the armorer's class. You're taking tension off the firing pin and well, what vini said basically.

It's bad when you don't hear that noise. It's also normal if you hear a little bit of "chatter" when you shake the gun with the trigger not being held, or the slide off.
Your brother in law's needs to be cleaned out. Maybe some compressed air will do the trick. If it's grease or thickened oil then it will seen by an armorer, or someone that knows how to disassemble and clean out the firing pin channel. And might as well replace the pin cups, and maybe even the channel liner just to be safe. They are pretty cheap parts. Then he should be taught to not put in any oil in the firing pin channel, or that little hole by the firing pin safety.
Top Top