Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/11/2008 5:00:03 AM EDT
It is clearly stamped "custom shop" and from what I see most are not. So my question is what are the custom features of this particular gun? I just bought it used and love it but am curious. Thanks in advance, Brian.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:07:27 PM EDT
Kimber considers all of their pistols custom because of the mods over the stock 1911's that they do. Over the years a lot of the so called mods are now considered stock on others 1911's as well.

Kimber also uses the custom to mark the pistol as the 5 inch model. The customs are the 5 inch, the pros are the 4 inch, and the ultras are the 3 inch models.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:04:06 PM EDT
Custom Shop stampings on the left side of the frame (not to be confused with Custom stamped on the right) indicate that the pistol has been hand fit. Should have a match barrel properly fitted, a fitted bushing, and the slide hand fit to the frame. The FCG should have been hand fit as well.

Custom stamped ont he right side just means you have a full size Kimber. The Series I "Custom" I just picked up had an amazingly crisp trigger for a production 1911, breaks at 3.25# and has no creep. I've yet to shoot it, but I have high hopes on its accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:50:42 AM EDT
I have one like yours, it was the 1775th Eclipse made.

When the Eclipse was introduced, it was a Custom Shop model, handfitted like the other poster described. It was suppose to be a limited edition, I think 2,500 guns.

But, demand was high, so it became a regular production item, without the Custom Shop attention to detail. That's when they renamed them the Eclipse Custom (with fixed sights) and the Eclipse Target (w/ adjustables).

Your serial number is KEL(under 2500) right?
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 4:11:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BPR:
I have one like yours, it was the 1775th Eclipse made.

When the Eclipse was introduced, it was a Custom Shop model, handfitted like the other poster described. It was suppose to be a limited edition, I think 2,500 guns.

But, demand was high, so it became a regular production item, without the Custom Shop attention to detail. That's when they renamed them the Eclipse Custom (with fixed sights) and the Eclipse Target (w/ adjustables).

Your serial number is KEL(under 2500) right?

Don't mean to hijack your thread, I have one of these also. Anyone know if they make TFO's or just 3 dot
fiberoptic sights to replace the adjustable (and very dim) night sights that came on it and fit properly?

I already bought one wrong set, want to get it right on the next attempt.

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 4:37:29 PM EDT
no

they are all production models..."custom" features, but production rate work

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 4:58:10 PM EDT
you can find it on the website, so no
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 11:32:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ccosby:
Kimber considers all of their pistols custom because of the mods over the stock 1911's that they do. Over the years a lot of the so called mods are now considered stock on others 1911's as well.

Kimber also uses the custom to mark the pistol as the 5 inch model. The customs are the 5 inch, the pros are the 4 inch, and the ultras are the 3 inch models.

That's exactly it right there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 6:24:56 PM EDT
Just call the custom shop. I have an original serial number KEL 23XX and it is Stamped on the left side of the frame CUSTOM SHOP. The regular production guns are NOT. They were hand fitted in every detail in there custom shop. Mine after several hundred rounds still has no slide to frame movment in any direction. Trigger is nothing short of a mechanical marvel and it is the most accurate 1911 I own. This is not just my opinion or speculation. Any doubt just call the custom shop and ask for Dennis. There standard production and Very fine pistols in every aspect, but if you get one of each side by side on the range and try breaking them down you will definately experience the difference. The CUSTOM ECLIPSE II designation on the right side of the frame is on all production models, BUT (CUSTOM SHOP) on the left side is only on pistols completely hand fit in their custom shop. Dont beleive me..... Just give them a call..
Top Top