Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:18:10 AM EDT
Hello, everyone. I posted in another thread where i picked up a SA TRP 1911. I love the gun so far, but have not had a chance to take it to the range yet. I did notice when very slowly cycling rounds by hand (both snap caps and actual 230gr FMJ) that it can fail to fully chamber if I do it slow enough. Just as the round is released from the mag the rim moves under the extractor and starts partially going into the chamber then hangs up. When racking the slide back and letting it go as you normally would when loading rounds seem to smoothly chamber and the slide goes fully into battery Even riding it home by hand it goes smoothly if I am not holding it back too much making it cycle very slow. Is this normal? Thanks for replies, this is my first 1911so I have a new learning curve going on here.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:29:01 AM EDT
Yes, normal on a pistol that has not had an action job done.

Now on the other hand, with a good action job done on the pistol, you should be able to hand cycle empty cases as slow as you want.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:31:16 AM EDT
1. NEVER cycle LIVE ammo in your home. It is a horrible practice, and there is no reason to do it. The risk does not match the reward. This doesnt mean not to have a chamber loaded weapon at home.... but you just shouldnt cycle live ammo.... especially on a new/unknown weapon.

2. Yes - it is normal for a gun to malfunction when it is used in a manner for which it was not designed. The weapon was designed to pick up a live round from a full stroke... the slide fully to the rear (or at least from the slide catch) and have the full momentum of stripping the new round from the mag, and seating it into the chamber. Any riding of the slide at all can cause a malfuntion on any semi-auto weapon. Spring rate, action speeds, momentum of a specific mass, are all part of the design. Alter any of those, and you change the function.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:58:34 PM EDT
FALARAK is right on.
Buy some snap cap dummy loads and practice dry firing. Don't hand cycle live rounds.

And for the love of god man, go shoot the thing!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 2:31:11 PM EDT by JSIG]
Just to clarify so replies are kept to the question that was ask, I DID NOT hand cycle rounds sitting on my couch, in my living room, wearing my underwear, drunk, with 100 people sitting around me. Nowhere in my original post did I say what my surroundings were. I was standing on my family's farm, in a field, in the middle of nowhere with nothing surrounding me. I do not, however, shoot there because there are houses on the OTHER side of the property (the side I was OUT of range and view from blocked by a big hill) and I try to keep the peace there.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 2:30:18 PM EDT by lu380]
If you insist on hand-cycling live rounds, you can remove the firing pin pretty easily. You would have to install a "chopped" firing pin to hold the extractor/firing pin retaining plate in place. This would make it a lot safer. Or, you could just hand-load a bunch of dummy rounds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:40:29 PM EDT
In response to your question, it is very common and not a problem.

Remeber that when the pistol is firing, it feeds under spring pressure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:24:51 PM EDT
Yes!
Top Top