Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2002 8:04:56 PM EDT
I have a standard (not Bolo) Broomhandle in .30 Mauser (7.62 x 25??).  I have disassembled it, and all appears in good order.  Further, while it is no collector piece, it is a nice shooter w/ all SN's matching.  The Broomhandle design sends the bolt right back towards your aiming eye - any ideas on how insure this baby's safe to fire?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, nearly all autos will send the slide or bolt or whatever back towards your aiming eye.  Some designs do more to prevent a problem than others.  I haven't heard of the Mauser as having a history of poking your eye out with the bolt in a failure.  I've shot one, and they're fun enough, especially with the shoulder stock.  Would you shoot a Beretta?

Take it to a qualified gunsmith and have it checked out.  An inspection is pretty cheap, and they usually clean it all out for you as well.  

Ross
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#2]
What Ross said. Broomies are fun to shoot and I'd get it checked out and head for the range.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Replace above all, the bolt stop lug.
The part that you remove to strip the bolt.
This is the small thick pin that has a hole for the firing pin to go through, that comes out of the side of the bolt for bolt takedown.
THIS is what keps the bolt from hitting you in the face, and due to the age of these guns should be replaced if there is any doubt.
Better safe than sorry.
Also replace the firing pin spring and hammer main spring, as these help to slow the return travel of the bolt too.
With all those parts redone, it should be safe as a shooter once again.
However, since your serial numbers are all matching, you may want to reconsider it as a shooter, as the value may be better as a collector. If it has been refinished, collector value is gone already, and feel free.
But a nice all matching original gun might be worth more than you think.
Would be a pity to break a numbered part and lose that value.

Edited to add:
PS:
It is NOT 7.62x25!!!
Caliber is .30 Mauser.
NEVER run CZ or Tokarov ammo in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top