Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 12:08:48 PM EDT
I have left LE and had to give back my dep't issued Glock 22 and as of now my only defensive pistol is a Glock 27(other than a few 38 snubs). I do not feel comfortable without a fullsized combat pistol. I considered trading my G27 for a G17, but I handled a HK USP 9mm and liked it's cocked and locked feature. I tried the DA trigger pull and thought it absolutely blew goats but the SA with cocked and locked carry would be ideal.

I am curious as to opinions about these pistols and how much hi-cap mags would be here say next week As a sidenote I am also interested in starting IDPA competition at the local level so would this pistol be appropriate?

BTW, since I am accustomed to the trigger pull of the Glocks would the P2000 be a better alternative? What are the benefits and differences between these two pistols for defensive uses? I know I have asked a lot of questions but would apreciate any opinions-Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I just saw one today.  I think I like the XD more.  Just traded off my G19 and am planning on going to the XD sub and mabey an XD Tac for Christmass.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Not exactly correct.  With the USP you have 9 variants to choose from plus the LEM feature.  The P2K is only available with 4:
P2000 V1
– Innovative safety-trigger system with integrated striker in the hammer at a constant level of trigger pull (Comabt Defence Action 20 N-or 4.5 pounds) from the first to the last round, without decocking lever
P2000 V2
– As P2000 V1, but trigger pull CDA 32,5 N-or 7.25 pounds
P2000 V3
– Conventional SA/DA trigger and hammer, with decocking lever
P2000 V4
– As P2000 V1, but trigger pull CDA 27,5 N-or 6.5 pounds
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah what Big Bore said. I like the USP9F I would say go for it you won't be sorry, H&K's will eat anything you put in them with no problems, as far as mag's go they would run about $30.00 for the 15 rounder's. You would probably find them a little cheaper also after next week with the LEO marking's on them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got one and love it.  You cant go wrong with a USP.
I have no idea how many rounds I've put  through it in the last 6 years, but it's a lot.

Mine has a set of meprolight sigts, a UTL, and a 17 round mag ready to go if I ever need it in the middle of the night.

Mine really doesn't like wolf though.  The only failures I've ever had were three FTEs over the course of 5 or 6 boxes of wolf  I went through a few years ago.  I stopped buying it, and it hasn't had a hiccup ever since.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies and input.  Not sure but I think I am leaning towards the P2K for the LEM trigger group, but then again if I can have the LEM retro fitted to the USP that might be an option as well. The local fun shop has a 9mm USP for $665...How much would it cost to have the LEM components added to the weapon?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes you can hve H&K put the LEM trigger set up in your USP, I had one in my USP40C and it works fine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The USP is the best pistol you can get if you want a cocked and locked 1911 sytle pistol in polymer/various calibers. I have a fullsize 9, and I LOVE it. It is relible, accurate, and just feels good to shoot. It is thin, and very easy to conceal in an IWB at 4 -5 o clock.

I wouldnt get the USP in any variant but one (or if there are others that let you carry C&L) If you want a DAO, buy a Grock or something like that, the DA HK trigger sucks out of the box, though with some polishing, there is an improvement.

My choice between a P2K and a USP would go USP all the time. Though, if you really want the LEM trigger, that's your preference, and I guess I wouldnt know.

You seem to be alright with carrying in condition one, I think it is the best way to carry and I do it all the time. Some people fool themselves into thinking a "safe action" Glock is safer than a C&L 1911 style pistol. Laughable!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never been more accurate with a pistol before getting a USP 9. It shoots better than me, and I got it used.
Can't go wrong with a USP, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a USP9F, and I really don't think you'll regret it.  I liked mine so much I ended up with a USP45F too.  Honestly, I shoot better with my 1911's, but I think that's a matter of the trigger pull.  But for a combat gun, I don't think you'll find a more inherently accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot pistol.  That said, make sure your hands fit the grips.  The guns work well with my gorilla sized mitts, your mileage may vary.

You may wanna look at the USP45.  The USP design and the .45 caliber seem to work very well together.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I second the USP .45

Why buy a smaller caliber in the same size gun? The USP is a big hunk of polymer/steel....go .45

12 rounds, same size as the 9mm with 15 rounds. Caliber....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#12]
My USP 9mm has almost replaced my 357 mag as my all around favorite handgun.  The DA trigger is terrible.  Seems to take 5 minutes for it to engage once you start squeezing.  SA is very crisp, although some folks think that the reset is a little long.  I am not that savvy a shooter to know the difference.  I usually don't shoot it out past 25 yds and standing with a two handed grip I can put 100 rounds inside the 8 ring on a standard 25 yd target.  Very accurate gun that is extremely easy to shoot.  I have smaller hands, but I don't find the grip to be too large at all to shoot comfortably.  I have never tried the LEM trigger, but if I were to carry I would definitely go C&L to avoid the DA trigger pull.  $665 is a pretty good price for a new USP, too.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I love my USP9 SD.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to have a USP 9mm fullsize. I sold it for a couple reasons, but the biggest one for me was that I felt it was too big for a 9mm. In 9mm I use a Glock 17 or P7M8...but if you like the idea of cocked and locked you can't do better than the USP. My thinking is that if you are going to get a gun that big, you might as well get a .45...which I did lol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I was just out shooting my USP 45F today.  I LOVE this pistol.  I have fired the USP 9mmF and thought it was one of the lightest recoiling 9mm's I've ever fired.  I think a great comaparison t6o this pistol is the Sig P226.  I know some people rank on the USP trigger, but I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of about 3K on my USP45 and it's very smooth.  Yes, it does stack a little at the end on the DA, but with a relatively fast sweep of the trigger, I shoot it much more accurately than my 226 9mm in DA, or SA for that matter.  I handled a used USP40F today (same size as the USP9mmF) and for me it sits in my hands perfectly.  I don't have enough trigger time on a USP9F to truly know how it shoots, but with the .45 on a good day I can do 1 inch 5 shot groups at 15 yards.  I have to believe that 9mm pistol is equally as accurate.  2 thumbs up here!!!
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top