Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 3:19:17 AM EDT
Is this complicated,or should I just pay someone to do it ? I would really like to do it myself,but I don't want to mess anything up.If I decide to do it myself,would I need to purchase special tools ?

I asked at one shop I go to, and the guy wanted $40.00 to throw them on.I thought he was crazy.I am the type of person that would rather spend $100 on a tool,rather than pay someone $40.00 to do it for me,I am just kinda weird that way.

Lowest price I found was $87.95,anybody know of a lower price ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe if you buy them locally they will install for nominal fee?  Try a police supply house?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17840&title=P500+UNIVERSAL+SIGHT+TOOL

p.s. I am just posting a place you can search for cheap intaller, I don't know if this one will fit on an HK, I know Sig people uses it.

p.s.s. my local store might charge a little more than online, but they install it for free.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the Brownells link.

I have called a few local shops,and they don't stock Trijicon.The one I did find wanted $140.00 for them installed.So I figure a decent price from a storefront would be $100,so he is basically charging me $40.00 to install them.I would rather learn myself.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Find some one locally who will charge you a fair price if you purchase from them and then install for free. You do not have a $200 sight tool and could screw up your pistol without one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
i installed mine by myself when I was 17. Its not difficult at all.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
all you need is a small brass hammer and brass punch and some cloth to cover metal-metal parts.
the sight pusher is a bit easy. local dealer charges $20 to install mepro on my USP45.
later it came loose. i used that small hammer and brass punch and put some locktite. It has never came off.

sometimes when you want it done right, do it yourself.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Guy locally here charges $25 per pair for USPs, and $20 for everything else (damn HK logo!).

Did a great job.

EDIT: Also, aside from your screen name, Mepro's can also be had for a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Being as I have never replaced the sights before,I have another question.Once they are installed,do they lock in place somehow ? IOW,is it possible to install the sights "off" a bit,but only find this out when you go to the range ? So I would have to take it back and have the sights adjusted.

Thanks for the replies guys,as you can tell I am a total beginner here.I am leaning more towards having them put on by a competent gunsmith.There has to be someone around here that will do it for a more reasonable price than $40,just have to make some more calls.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
all you need is a small brass hammer and brass punch and some cloth to cover metal-metal parts.
the sight pusher is a bit easy. local dealer charges $20 to install mepro on my USP45.
later it came loose. i used that small hammer and brass punch and put some locktite. It has never came off.

sometimes when you want it done right, do it yourself.

+++1

Search the web, buy the sights, install your self and learn from it.  Taint that hard!! Then go run the dog piss outa it!!

Later,
D.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Changing sights is easy.  As someone else mentioned, you just need a good brass punch and hammer.  A vice helps a lot, too.  

The trick is to be patient and methodical.  Don't get impatient and force something, you'll bust a sight / dovetail or mar your slide.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Changing sights is easy.  As someone else mentioned, you just need a good brass punch and hammer.  A vice helps a lot, too.  

The trick is to be patient and methodical.  Don't get impatient and force something, you'll bust a sight / dovetail or mar your slide.

Not to mention cracking the glass ampule full of radioactive Tritium.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I just put a factory set of night sights on a USP40 that i picked up this past week.

I used a generic sight pusher and it went fine.  Just take your time and adjust the thing so it
wont mar the slide. The rear pushed off easily, but the front was trickier. I actually had to use
a mallet and plastic drift to remove it and install the front one. Once it was on, i could use the pusher to center it up on the slide with no problem.
I havent shot it yet, but it looks good with the night sights.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention cracking the glass ampule full of radioactive Tritium.

Then you will glow in the dark!
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top