Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/11/2011 11:56:15 PM EDT
I decided to get a kimber desert warrior and it should be here right at christmas. I've looked through the warrior thread and there isn't very much discussion about it. If you own one, how do you like it? Grips are gonna be changed soon after i get it. Don't start with the kimber bashing. If you had a bad one just say what was bad. I have two other kimbers that have been good and i've been wanting a warrior so i decided to get one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 4:01:45 PM EDT
I have a regular warrior that I carry as my duty gun. I used to carry my custom S/A Operator before I got it. I have about 2500-3000 rds through it roughly now and I have have literally 0 malfunctions. it has be an awesome gun from the word go. Since it does not have the firing pin safety its one less thing to cause issues. The only thing I am a little disappointed in is the Kimpro finish. I felt it is not very durable as some of the other finishes out there and has worn badly. I plan to either Duracoat or maybe aluma-hide it in the future. Here's picture of it shortly after i got it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 4:11:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CERT-OPR:
I have a regular warrior that I carry as my duty gun. I used to carry my custom S/A Operator before I got it. I have about 2500-3000 rds through it roughly now and I have have literally 0 malfunctions. it has be an awesome gun from the word go. Since it does not have the firing pin safety its one less thing to cause issues. The only thing I am a little disappointed in is the Kimpro finish. I felt it is not very durable as some of the other finishes out there and has worn badly. I plan to either Duracoat or maybe aluma-hide it in the future. Here's picture of it shortly after i got it.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/mongostuff/IMG_0791.jpg

That's about the only complaint i've seen about them. I'm wondering what the desert warrior looks like with a worn finish. I kinda like the look of a well worn 1911 though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:52:05 PM EDT
I have a Warrior that I customized to suit my tastes. It has a YoBo rear sight, Mil-Tec G10 grips, Wilson slide release, Cylinder & Slide gi recoil rod and spring plug. I put skateboard tape on the front strap for a more secure grip. It is very accurate and reliable. I use Wilson #47D mags. Goes bang every time.. I am quite pleased with it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/14/2011 5:57:16 PM EDT by sturmjr]
Now I know this isn't what you want information about but I just feel I need to chime in.....

I was having this debate 2 weeks ago. Prior to that, for the last year, I KNEW I was getting a Kimber Warrior. I wanted a full size 1911 with a rail to attach a light to make as a good range toy and bedside buddy. My father has the Pro carry, my uncle has an older model I Kimber and my grandfather has a Kimber Ultra Carry. All of theirs have worked just fine and I have always loved the triggers on them. But the more and more I read, the more and more I started to question my decision. After all of the Kimber hatred I read I decided I would go to a local store that stocks about 24 different Kimbers, few colts, few springers, and a couple S&W and get my hands on them. They did not have the Warrior but they did have the Tactical II which was one of my alternatives. I liked that it had front strap checkering but did not like the firing pin block. Then I picked up a Springfield TRP and was amazed. I laid out a full size Raptor II, Tactical II, Super Carry II, S&W E Series, Springfield GI model and the TRP.

The springfield immediately captured my attention in comparison. It was much much tighter, the finish looked like it was almost twice as thick as the Tactical II. Trigger was spot on with the kimbers but better than the GI model and the S&W. I eventually started looking online at the Springfield TRP Operator. Bull barrel, light rail, front strap checkering, mag well, pre cut to accept standard bushing and barrel, and most importantly.....lots and lots of happy customers. My dad got his Kimber around 5 years ago and My grandfather got his sometime last year. I didn't really notice much of a difference between the 2 but I didn't get to fire his as much as I have my father's. I couldn't get the negative Kimber claims out of my head and the positive comments of the springer were overwhelming. But the icing on the cake was the Lifetime no nonsense warranty. Compared to Kimber's 1 year. Aside from the grips, the two are identical aesthetically. The springer doesn't have the lanyard loop sticking out, though. Functionally, a big difference is the adjustable rear sight. I never wanted it and now that I have it, I like it. But I am still going to get the Harrison fixed sight to replace it like I had planned on doing from the beginning. The adjustable is too sharp to work the slide hard.

After further reading, I realized I could get a much nicer 1911 with the TRP Operator. It's MSRP was about $500 more than the Warrior and is Springfields top of the line 1911 before you go custom. I only paid $150 more than I would have on a Warrior and I am so glad that I decided to research like I did. I will never regret this decision. I was always a Kimber junky after my family's experience and the warrior was on my want list forever. However, this TRP feels amazing. I almost threw my shoulder out of socket trying to shake it enough to get some rattle....not a sound. I really feel like I got twice the 1911 than what I had originally wanted.

I know you want the warrior and I know you wanted information about it and the desert warrior. TBH, I never wanted the desert warrior.....I live in America and when I do deploy, I can't bring it. I'm sorry for going outside of your thread topic but I am so happy with this 1911, I would be wrong to not express it to you in a time of decision making. All I am saying is consider it. Do a little comparing. I am thankful I made this decision and knowing what I know now, would have regretted getting the Warrior. This TRP stands out in every way. I wish you well on your choice and I hope you are vigilant in getting as much information as you can before you set your mind on 1 choice. Good luck, man. Let us know what you decide.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:57:06 AM EDT
Standard Warrior here.
I have over 3k flawless rounds through.
Have never had it in for service or have had to repair any MIM parts as of yet.
I even use the crap no name mags and it just plain works.
The finish has held up but if it doesn't it wont bother me.
Also have a Kimber factory .22 upper for it as well that my daughter has run at least 5k rounds of bulk pack through.
Still the trigger and safety are like new.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:41:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sturmjr:
Now I know this isn't what you want information about but I just feel I need to chime in.....

I was having this debate 2 weeks ago. Prior to that, for the last year, I KNEW I was getting a Kimber Warrior. I wanted a full size 1911 with a rail to attach a light to make as a good range toy and bedside buddy. My father has the Pro carry, my uncle has an older model I Kimber and my grandfather has a Kimber Ultra Carry. All of theirs have worked just fine and I have always loved the triggers on them. But the more and more I read, the more and more I started to question my decision. After all of the Kimber hatred I read I decided I would go to a local store that stocks about 24 different Kimbers, few colts, few springers, and a couple S&W and get my hands on them. They did not have the Warrior but they did have the Tactical II which was one of my alternatives. I liked that it had front strap checkering but did not like the firing pin block. Then I picked up a Springfield TRP and was amazed. I laid out a full size Raptor II, Tactical II, Super Carry II, S&W E Series, Springfield GI model and the TRP.

The springfield immediately captured my attention in comparison. It was much much tighter, the finish looked like it was almost twice as thick as the Tactical II. Trigger was spot on with the kimbers but better than the GI model and the S&W. I eventually started looking online at the Springfield TRP Operator. Bull barrel, light rail, front strap checkering, mag well, pre cut to accept standard bushing and barrel, and most importantly.....lots and lots of happy customers. My dad got his Kimber around 5 years ago and My grandfather got his sometime last year. I didn't really notice much of a difference between the 2 but I didn't get to fire his as much as I have my father's. I couldn't get the negative Kimber claims out of my head and the positive comments of the springer were overwhelming. But the icing on the cake was the Lifetime no nonsense warranty. Compared to Kimber's 1 year. Aside from the grips, the two are identical aesthetically. The springer doesn't have the lanyard loop sticking out, though. Functionally, a big difference is the adjustable rear sight. I never wanted it and now that I have it, I like it. But I am still going to get the Harrison fixed sight to replace it like I had planned on doing from the beginning. The adjustable is too sharp to work the slide hard.

After further reading, I realized I could get a much nicer 1911 with the TRP Operator. It's MSRP was about $500 more than the Warrior and is Springfields top of the line 1911 before you go custom. I only paid $150 more than I would have on a Warrior and I am so glad that I decided to research like I did. I will never regret this decision. I was always a Kimber junky after my family's experience and the warrior was on my want list forever. However, this TRP feels amazing. I almost threw my shoulder out of socket trying to shake it enough to get some rattle....not a sound. I really feel like I got twice the 1911 than what I had originally wanted.

I know you want the warrior and I know you wanted information about it and the desert warrior. TBH, I never wanted the desert warrior.....I live in America and when I do deploy, I can't bring it. I'm sorry for going outside of your thread topic but I am so happy with this 1911, I would be wrong to not express it to you in a time of decision making. All I am saying is consider it. Do a little comparing. I am thankful I made this decision and knowing what I know now, would have regretted getting the Warrior. This TRP stands out in every way. I wish you well on your choice and I hope you are vigilant in getting as much information as you can before you set your mind on 1 choice. Good luck, man. Let us know what you decide.

All the kimbers i've owned have been tight but i'm not worried about my guns being tight. I know most people want them tight to produce smaller groups, but i would rather have a pistol that runs. I had a basic custom II when i first got into shooting that wouldn't run so i got rid of it. When i got back into 1911s i gave kimber another chance and bought a tactical custom and it's only had one malfunction with the factory mag. I love it so much i bought a tactical entry and it's one of my carry gun it's had zero malfunctions. I wanted a trp for years but i can't stand the adjustable rear sight and the fixed replacement is hideous. I know the trp is a great gun but i'm not afraid of kimber. Alot of people repeat what they read on the net and then some people read that and take it to heart. Every company has bad guns leave the factory and it's just a chance you take when you buy one.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:38:00 PM EDT
My only Kimber I had left me with a sour taste in my mouth toward them and the negative thoughts here seem to only fuel my dislike toward Kimber but...

The Warrior 1911 from them has always had my attention. I love the overall look and it seems people that have them, love them. If I had to get anouther Kimber, it would be a Warrior. I don't mind if the finish wears badly as long as it doesn't rust easily. The few Warriors I have felt have been very tight and just felt great in the hand. They are beautiful 1911's no doubt.

FWIW, my one and only Kimber was a Ultra Carry II that felt great in the hand and shot well but multiple parts rusted out bad and I had only had the pistol a couple months. No big deal to some and it wouldn't have been to me either except I expect more from a $700+ gun. Sometimes I wish I had just kept it, and maybe one day I will get a stainless one and just swap parts if I get the same problems again...
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:04:12 AM EDT
Search the archives. A few years ago, it seems every other post was about them.

Good pistols, but kinda of the 'must have' pistol then, not now.

I am still kicking myself for passing on a used one two years ago. It was a steal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:11:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:52:42 PM EDT
Whats to say-Mine is a desert warrior, We had some digital camo crimson trace laser grips that needed a home and they are now on the warrior.
Too bad I don't have a pic, the grips look good on that gun. It shoots right to point of aim with several loads and is reliable.
No different than this gun, a springfield MC operator. Shoots several loads to point of aim and reliable. The springer also has shot the ejector
loose from the frame to the point were it falls out when the slide is removed. Bad design on spingers part, gluing the ejector in. It still runs fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2011 3:56:56 PM EDT by DVCER]
Found a pic of the kimber. You can prolly figure out which one it is. We were testing a duracoat pattern on the TLR-1.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:53:57 PM EDT
I have a really well worn desert Warrior. I'll get pics up tomorrow if I remember. Just shot a class with it on Saturday and it is still dirty as hell. Wouldn't think twice about trusting my life to it.

I would say the finish is the weak point but no problem with rust, though I do live in the desert. But in my opinion it looks good as a worn in, hard use gun. It's too glossy as a safe queen.

If I don't come back with pics, shoot me an IM, as my memory is shit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 6:06:37 PM EDT

Ran it again today without cleaning from the previous weeks class. Fired about 200 rds with no issues. Wiped down with clp.
Top Top