Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 11:50:34 AM EDT
I impulse bought a CZ75 today.

I have looked at them for a while and like the way they feel in my hand, so I figured that I could not go wrong.
It came with one 15 round mag and one 10 round mag.  
It  is DA/SA but does not have a decoker.  That seems odd to me.  If I were to carry this gun, I assume I would have to carefully lower the hammer on a loaded chamber and put the safety on.  

Or am I not supposed to lower the  hammer?  If so, why the hell does it fire double action?

I even like the factory grips, which is rare on any gun I buy.

What do you guys think of  these CZ75s?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a 9mm 75B last weekend, my first real CZ (have a couple of clones, Baby E. and Jericho).  I checked the booklet that came with the pistol and it actually discusses dropping the hammer on a loaded chamber, which surprises me a bit.  I think I would carry it cocked and locked before I started dropping the hammer, but I did not get mine for carry anyway.  So far so good with only 100 rounds through it.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It  is DA/SA but does not have a decoker.  That seems odd to me.  If I were to carry this gun, I assume I would have to carefully lower the hammer on a loaded chamber and put the safety on.  
Or am I not supposed to lower the  hammer?  If so, why the hell does it fire double action?

It's your option on the full-size CZ 75B.  You can manually drop the hammer (I keep a sand bucket in the garage for just this purpose), or you can carry cocked and locked.

I also have the CZ 75 P-01, and it comes with a decocker.  It will decock to the half-cocked position.  My preference is to carry with the hammer fully down, so I manually lower the hammer when I need to.  

--
Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I like mine.  POints nice, shoots straight as I can make it.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
cocked and locked or no bullet in the chamber w/ loaded mag .I dont know why double action I guess you can hammer down. some of the copies like baby eagle and older tanfoglios have the decocker saftey I guess you should buy a baby eagle and try it out they have the best grip frame i've held anyway
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I stupidly thought I let a hammer drop lightly enough, boy was I surprised. Luckily the only thing that got hurt was a pile of 2X4 and my ego. My ears where ringing a little bit too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cocked and locked or no bullet in the chamber w/ loaded mag

thats not for defensive carry i hope.

I guess I think many people and even the army carry in this manner  whatever if you think your going to shoot the floor or some shit than go condition one or use the half cock notch

if one was really worried pick a different gun or carry in condition one whatever
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm

this a  rundown on the 1911 a little diffent than the CZ but gives some basic guide lines like I said whatever just dont shoot your self in the leg foot whatever . I like this kind of pistol and have several but I dont use em for carry pistols to each own.....oh yea thats right  you dont have to carry ever pistol you own unless you are in the matrix ha ha
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your option on the full-size CZ 75B.  You can manually drop the hammer (I keep a sand bucket in the garage for just this purpose), or you can carry cocked and locked.

I also have the CZ 75 P-01, and it comes with a decocker.  It will decock to the half-cocked position.  My preference is to carry with the hammer fully down, so I manually lower the hammer when I need to.  

--
Mike

Both of my CZ's (75BD's) have decockers.  They decock to the half cock notch.  The Fullsize w/HiCap mag is one of my primary bedstand guns as it is rocksolid...it always goes BOOM when I want it to.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
cocked and locked or no bullet in the chamber w/ loaded mag

thats not for defensive carry i hope.

I guess I think many people and even the army carry in this manner  whatever if you think your going to shoot the floor or some shit than go condition one or use the half cock notch

if one was really worried pick a different gun or carry in condition one whatever

if its a range gun fine. but you don't have time to rack the slide if you need it.

I guess but you dont always have someone on top of you every time you pull out your weapon errhock.gif I mean gun...I do carry with one in the pipe but some people arent comfortable with it. hey some folks think the only thing you should carry is a 45acp in a 1911 c&l
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
C&L.  Why row a DA if you don't have to
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#15]
The following thread found at czforum.com explains it all:  

http://p201.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm25.showMessage?topicID=92.topic

Basically, they say there's nothing wrong at all with carrying with the hammer down on a loaded chamber (condition 2), due to the firing pin safety.  OR, you can carry cocked and locked (condition 1), should you prefer.  The site (unofficial I might add), describes how to manually decock the gun according to cz's own operating manual.  It is a two-handed method which is safer than the one-handed method.

The CZ75 comes with either a safety OR a decocking lever.  It appears that basically, this is a tradeoff.  Models with the safety allow the freedom of carrying in condition 1 OR condition 2.  However, to carry in condition 2, you must manually decock the hammer, which is less safe than doing so with a decocker.  Models with the decocking lever, however, are safer to decock, but are only to be carried in condition 2.

Anyone disagree?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:01:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The following thread found at czforum.com explains it all:  

http://p201.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm25.showMessage?topicID=92.topic

Basically, they say there's nothing wrong at all with carrying with the hammer down on a loaded chamber (condition 2), due to the firing pin safety.  OR, you can carry cocked and locked (condition 1), should you prefer.  The site (unofficial I might add), describes how to manually decock the gun according to cz's own operating manual.  It is a two-handed method which is safer than the one-handed method.

The CZ75 comes with either a safety OR a decocking lever.  It appears that basically, this is a tradeoff.  Models with the safety allow the freedom of carrying in condition 1 OR condition 2.  However, to carry in condition 2, you must manually decock the hammer, which is less safe than doing so with a decocker.  Models with the decocking lever, however, are safer to decock, but are only to be carried in condition 2.

Anyone disagree?

Oh fucking bullshit!   not really sounds good
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a 75B and love that handgun.  Reliable, but has a couple times locked the slide back with 3 rounds left in the mag.  I THINK it was only with one of my magazines...

Anyway, the 75B can either be carried cocked and locked (1911 style), or hammer down, safety off (my safety will not engage with the hammer down, my CZ is a 2002 production pistol).

The procedure lined out by CZ for lowering the hammer is like this:  With the pistol pointed in a (relatively) safe direction, grasp the hammer with your offhand between your thumb and index finger.  Squeeze the trigger until the sear breaks, then slowly lower the hammer.  WHILE lowering it, release the trigger - this will engage the firing pin safety before the hammer is completely down.  The hammer may stop in the 'half cock' notch, which is perfectly fine.  

I just prefer to carry mine cocked and locked, since I only carry it for IDPA matches, and alternate between it and my 1911, so flipping off the thumb safety is becoming second nature.  

Enjoy the pistol.  Mine tends to like Olympic 124gr 9mm better than the Winchester White Box 115gr stuff...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't understand how anyone here is having that big of a problem CAREFULLY lowering a hammer onto half cock... Pull the trigger till it breaks while holding the hammer in a way that causes part of your thumb to be inbetween the hammer and the slide. Make sure you have a firm grip though. Pull the trigger just enough to break, then release the trigger completely. Your thumb should be low enough for the hammer to pinch it, but still be released from full cock. Then lower the hammer and engage the saftey if you feel so inclined.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have a 75B and love that handgun.  Reliable, but has a couple times locked the slide back with 3 rounds left in the mag.  I THINK it was only with one of my magazines...

Ok.. I had this problem with my pre-b.  I've heard a few explanations mostly centering around weak mag springs, but I swapped all my springs and still had the issue.  The fix was simple.  check on the slide stop lever, right at the tab that engages the slide.  You MAY see a little copper smudge on the rear edge of the tab (I did, I was using the bright copper WWB value packs).  What was happening was that the rounds would spring up in the mag and the very tip of the bullet would bounce against that inside edge during cycling, just long enough for the slide stop to engage with rounds still in the mag.  Pop the slide off, replace the slide stop, and check it out with a loaded mag.  To fix, I just took a hair off the slide stop (actually a new one, didn't want to monkey up the original parts) with a dremel tool, right where the copper marking was.  Check in at the czforums, they're familiar with this issue and straightened me out pretty well.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I don't understand how anyone here is having that big of a problem CAREFULLY lowering a hammer onto half cock... Pull the trigger till it breaks while holding the hammer in a way that causes part of your thumb to be inbetween the hammer and the slide. Make sure you have a firm grip though. Pull the trigger just enough to break, then release the trigger completely. Your thumb should be low enough for the hammer to pinch it, but still be released from full cock. Then lower the hammer and engage the saftey if you feel so inclined.

Safety's on CZ handguns will not engage unless the hammer is in the full-cock position.

--
Mike
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:12:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Safety's on CZ handguns will not engage unless the hammer is in the full-cock position.

--
Mike

My mistake, they do on Tanfoglio/EAA/Jericho (F version are very similar to EAA frames) clones.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.. I had this problem with my pre-b.  I've heard a few explanations mostly centering around weak mag springs, but I swapped all my springs and still had the issue.  The fix was simple.  check on the slide stop lever, right at the tab that engages the slide.  You MAY see a little copper smudge on the rear edge of the tab (I did, I was using the bright copper WWB value packs).  What was happening was that the rounds would spring up in the mag and the very tip of the bullet would bounce against that inside edge during cycling, just long enough for the slide stop to engage with rounds still in the mag.  Pop the slide off, replace the slide stop, and check it out with a loaded mag.  To fix, I just took a hair off the slide stop (actually a new one, didn't want to monkey up the original parts) with a dremel tool, right where the copper marking was.  Check in at the czforums, they're familiar with this issue and straightened me out pretty well.  

I think I need to go blast a few hundred rounds and see if I can get it to do this again...

It COULD possibly be my off hand's thumb coming in contact with it....   But yeah, if I see any brass/copper marks on it, I'll work it down just a hair or two. ;)  

Now to find some normal capacity mags....  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Bottom line on carry methodology is TRAINING. If you train for the way you prefer, you'll have no issues. The Israeli army trains for empty chamber, hammer down, the USMC trains for loaded chamber, hammer down, safety on (M9 and M1911), the civilian schools and some PD's train with c&l.

No one method is perfect for every user. The individual has to decide, after examining each one, which will work best for them.

Personally, I carry every gun hammer down on a loaded chamber. It's my preferred method and how I train with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top