Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 9:28:48 PM EDT
I was advised of a shop in Valencia that had soft-shooting .38 rounds, which is I think what I want in a derringer.  The S&W Chief's Airweight weighed twice as much and flipped up pretty hard to me.  I didn't like to shoot it, and I figure this one's gonna suck too.  But, this is what I can make disappear and what I carry with me on my way around downtown LA.

Anybody else shoot a derringer?  I don't know anybody else that has one...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one.
Davis Arms I think, in .38 special.
I've shot it a time or two, just to make sure it works.
It shoots alright, not very comfortable for more than a few shots.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]

If you have trouble hiding an Airweight you either need to eat more
or stop wearing Spandex.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Let’s see:

You have to push the safety off

Then you have to cock the thing

And then, assuming you’ve survived long enough to actually get a couple of rounds off, you’re looking at a next to impossible fast reload.

Personally, I’d find some way of making the Chiefs Special work!!  

Incidentally, if the recoil from a regular .38 Special bothers you, you might want to try wadcutters (which are a target load).  They’re tame but not esp. powerful.  Note that you’d still want your reload to be rounds with protruding bullets since wadcutters are difficult to load fast.

And I believe Federal is making some reduced recoil handgun rounds that might be worth looking into.

That said, in a life-and-death situation I wouldn’t think recoil would be that big an issue to you.  I would never carry anything less than a +P .38 Special myself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I've shot federal low recoil .380s out of my kel-tec, didn't notice a different hardly at all. So they might be worth checking into, maybe the difference is more noticable in a derringer or revolver in .38 spl...but I wouldn't expect much.

As for the derringer.....one might be nice to play around with, just a novelty to have at the range. But I'd seriously consider something else for carry. 2 shots isn't enough, plus as another poster mentioned, there are several steps before firing.

Having a gun in a gun fight is the number #1 rule...but there are literally hundreds of choices before a derringer...Kel-tec makes good guns, Kahr, NAA, ect, ect, ect,

The .38 isn't punishing at all....practice more and you'll get used to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top