Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2009 7:15:19 PM EDT
NIB J-frame 5-shot SS, internal hammer. When I pull the trigger one time as fast as I can the cylinder rotates but seems to land between chambers. In other words, after I release the trigger, I can use my off-hand and rotate the cylinder until it "catches" and locks on top of the next chamber. I pulled out the only other revolver I own - an older .44SP Charter BD and I cannot repeat this event. OK...the revolver in question is a Taurus 850. I"ve heard the good and bad, mostly bad. What's going on and should I trade up to a SW 642 before even firing a round through this NIB Taurus. BTW, I always use snap-caps and noticed the faces of them seem to have firing pin indents all over the place, not just on the primer.

Should a revolver lock onto the next chamber regardless of how fast or how slow you pull the trigger?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a defect in the gun. I would trade up for the 642. I have owned 2 J frames, clearly not making me any kind of expert, but they are great to carry and shoot for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
This is not good - could just be a bent spring in front of the cylinder bolt, or other things.  If it is truly NIB, then call S&W and they will send you a UPS call tag and take it back in to repair it.

Oh wait, you said it was a J-frame, then a Taurus.  I am guessing it is not a S&W J-frame, just a similar sized one.  OK, so if it's a Taurus, you will need to deal with the dealer or Taurus warranty.  If you can return it for your purchase price and put it towards a S&W, that is your best route.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You know what they say about experts??

X - an unknown quantity

spurt - a drip under pressure

But, sounds like a problem to me.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
One or a combination of the following:

Timing problem
Cylinder stop has too much/little radius on the edges
Burr somewhere
bad spring(s)

Ultra fast DA firing is pretty hard on revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Good Grief, another NIB Taurus revolver that doesn't work.  This is my shocked face.  

My advice is to return it where you bought it ASAP and replace it with a Ruger or S&W.

Why in God's name can't Taurus function check their products before they leave the factory?  What would this cost per gun, $5?  That's peanuts compared to what it's costing them in CS calls and lost business.  I can only assume they don't give a shit about repeat business or having a good reputation.  For a company that seems to want to be a real player in the defensive handgun market, this just stuns me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top