Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/25/2009 7:15:19 PM EDT
NIB J-frame 5-shot SS, internal hammer. When I pull the trigger one time as fast as I can the cylinder rotates but seems to land between chambers. In other words, after I release the trigger, I can use my off-hand and rotate the cylinder until it "catches" and locks on top of the next chamber. I pulled out the only other revolver I own - an older .44SP Charter BD and I cannot repeat this event. OK...the revolver in question is a Taurus 850. I"ve heard the good and bad, mostly bad. What's going on and should I trade up to a SW 642 before even firing a round through this NIB Taurus. BTW, I always use snap-caps and noticed the faces of them seem to have firing pin indents all over the place, not just on the primer.

Should a revolver lock onto the next chamber regardless of how fast or how slow you pull the trigger?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:24:53 PM EDT
Sounds like a defect in the gun. I would trade up for the 642. I have owned 2 J frames, clearly not making me any kind of expert, but they are great to carry and shoot for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2009 7:43:48 PM EDT by Oro]
This is not good - could just be a bent spring in front of the cylinder bolt, or other things. If it is truly NIB, then call S&W and they will send you a UPS call tag and take it back in to repair it.

Oh wait, you said it was a J-frame, then a Taurus. I am guessing it is not a S&W J-frame, just a similar sized one. OK, so if it's a Taurus, you will need to deal with the dealer or Taurus warranty. If you can return it for your purchase price and put it towards a S&W, that is your best route.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:04:15 PM EDT
You know what they say about experts??

X - an unknown quantity

spurt - a drip under pressure

But, sounds like a problem to me.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:21:21 PM EDT
One or a combination of the following:

Timing problem
Cylinder stop has too much/little radius on the edges
Burr somewhere
bad spring(s)

Ultra fast DA firing is pretty hard on revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:35:53 PM EDT
Good Grief, another NIB Taurus revolver that doesn't work. This is my shocked face.

My advice is to return it where you bought it ASAP and replace it with a Ruger or S&W.

Why in God's name can't Taurus function check their products before they leave the factory? What would this cost per gun, $5? That's peanuts compared to what it's costing them in CS calls and lost business. I can only assume they don't give a shit about repeat business or having a good reputation. For a company that seems to want to be a real player in the defensive handgun market, this just stuns me.
Top Top