Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2002 7:48:07 PM EDT
I have shot a few, mostly snubbies. I didn't like the small handles, small caliber (I shot .22's and .38's), and just the general feel. My little sister has been given hand-me-down(read POS) pistols for self protection and was tired of not having a gun she felt comfortable or safe with. I told her to go to a range and rent some until she found one she liked and I would help her buy one. btw, she lives a few states away or I would have taken her to the range myself. She came back with her wish list: 3 1/2 to 4 inch barrel, .38, revolver, not a compact, S&W if possible, and in her budget. I talked to a few buddies and Jim, a retired Army Lt. Col., said he had a few to get rid of. Of the bunch he had was a S&W Mod. 15-3. He said he bought it when he was an MP(I think that is what he said) but they changed to .45's soon after and it was put away. This gun is pristine. There is not one scratch on it. Needless to say I decided to buy it and take it to the range to test. Yes, he said I could get my $ back if I didn't like it. Well...it is THE best revolver I have ever fired. It has changed my feelings for revolvers. The full size handle fits my hand perfectly. Yes, my sister's too! The trigger is crisp, and very light in single action. I hate to give it to my sister now, but she is without a gun. I sold hers to get this one. I only have semi-auto's right now, but I won't 'overlook' revolvers any more. I am not really converted, but reformed none the less.

Thanks for listening(reading).

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#1]
You have just experienced the lure of the older S&W. Be careful. You are entering dangerous waters and unless you learn the secret handshake quickly, your soul will be lost. If you liked the 15-3, just wait till you shoot a M-19, M-27 or M28. here are a couple photos just to get your day started.

This is the M-27, a fine 357/38 revolver.

And the M-28 on top, the K(mid-sized frame) M-19 on the bottom.

The big difference in the M-27 and M-28 is in the detail, finish and tuning. The M-27 has lots of checking on the top straps and a blue that is so deep that you can simply fall into.

M-27 on left, M-28 on right.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I gotta work on that secret handshake. Before I 'release' the pistol to my sister, she has to promise me she will let ME be the one to help her trade it. I don't believe that day will ever come...hmmm, maybe it's time she updated her will.
I will also be taking her to the range for a proper introduction, and tearful goodbye. [>Q]

Thanks for the reply.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Forgot to mention...I like the pics!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, I gotta work on that secret handshake. Before I 'release' the pistol to my sister, she has to promise me she will let ME be the one to help her trade it. I don't believe that day will ever come...hmmm, maybe it's time she updated her will.
I will also be taking her to the range for a proper introduction, and tearful goodbye. [>Q]

Thanks for the reply.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Forgot to mention...I like the pics!!!

You'll like the real ones even more.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You have discovered quite possibly the best 38 special revolver ever produced.  I've been running a Model 67 (same thing only in stainless) for close to 25 years now.  The Smith K frame has always been my idea of the perfect revolver.  Right size.  Right price (generally).

Welcome my son.  Soon you will see wisdom that comes from wheel guns..........

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Revolvers are more reliable than your closest friend...once you have looked into their eyes....damn, I'm wanting to go to the range and I just returned from there!  You will soon be drawn to "The Performance Center" never to return...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top