Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/28/2004 12:09:49 PM EST
I currently have two 1911's - one is a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. I like it and it works great. I will keep that one. The other is a Colt XSE (O1070XSE Government). I got it in trade and I like it, but ideally, I've been looking for a 1911 with a built in rail. The ones I have had my eye on are specifically the Kimber TLE/RL (I &/or II), the Springfield Armory Operator (PX9105ML), and the SIG GSR. From just aesthetics and how they look to me, I like the Kimber TLE/RL's the best. I don't want to spend more than $800 or so, and I have no qualms with picking up a used one.

That being said, of the FOUR I mentioned (Kimber TLE/RL I, Kimber TLE/RL II, SA Operator Loaded Full Size MC Operator PX9105ML, SIG GSR), what are some of the pro's and con's to each one?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:53:23 PM EST
Sig's are too GD expensive, that may get better but who knows?

Kimber uses cast parts, a no-no, IMO.

I just bought my third Springfield Armory 1911. Need I say more?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:54:27 PM EST
I have a Kimber CDP Ultra and a SA 1911 fullsize loaded model and they're both great guns but I prefer the Kimber. Its just...well...nicer.
Glad you like the Colt, its a good gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:53:11 PM EST
I love my kimber, the operater is hard to find a good holster for. The sig still has glitches from what i have heard the SA would be my second choice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:10:22 PM EST
I have a Kimber and love it. I have thought about "up grading" to a Wilson or Les Baer, but can't see the point in spending $1500 on a gun with a little better trigger than what I already have. Colt makes good guns too, but IMO Kimber is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:25:44 AM EST
None of the ones you mentioned are really 'upgrades' from what you have now, not at all.

What you have now is head-and-shoulders nicer, except for that stupid series 80 safety....

Kimber and springfield both use MIM parts.

Sig doesn't have their act together at all....

Personally, I like springfield.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:14:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

What parts are they on Springfields?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:43:43 PM EST

None of the ones you mentioned are really 'upgrades' from what you have now, not at all.

What you have now is head-and-shoulders nicer,

Hmmm... I like the Colt XSE, but I just wish it had a rail on it.

except for that stupid series 80 safety....

I've heard complaints about the Series 80 (over the series 70)... what's so horrible about the Series 80 extra safety?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:52:45 PM EST
If you want the Robocop 1911, the SA Operator is perfect.

I dont like the Kimber Series II too much. but they are nice guns.

Both can be had for around 1 G.

Ed Brown Kobra and custom 1911's can be had for around 2 G's.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:20:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By BobCole:

hammer
hammer strut
disconnector
sear
slide stop
safety
grip safety

when you start adding them up, buying something more expensive, but without MIM parts looks cheap. I'm getting ready to swap out $300 in parts for a springfield.....ouch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:39:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By BobCole:

hammer
hammer strut
disconnector
sear
slide stop
safety
grip safety

when you start adding them up, buying something more expensive, but without MIM parts looks cheap. I'm getting ready to swap out $300 in parts for a springfield.....ouch.

If ya wanna keep it working through thick and thin that's whatcha gotta do....I even tossed in a Colt barrel and bushing on mine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:42:15 AM EST
So the Colt XSE is better than the Kimbers and SA's?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:55:35 AM EST
Pics we need pics.

I like my Kimber...

Good luck finding an Operator under $800 used to be they were $550 to $650 till SA got greedy. Never been a fan of SA, might have something to do with them exporting their labor & manufacturing to Brazil. Though I wouldn't mind picking up a TRP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:57:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:02:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By jtb33:

You already answered your own Question

Hands down the Colt is

I really like my Colt XSE, my Kimber is ok, and I wouldn't have a SA if was free
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:08:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

You already answered your own Question

Hands down the Colt is

I really like my Colt XSE, my Kimber is ok, and I wouldn't have a SA if was free

Okay. I just wish it had a rail...
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:19:29 AM EST
I've never had luck with Colts, I have a 70 series that I inherited from my father stock, stove piped like mad. Before I got my Kimber I had tons of custom work done on the Colt and though doesn't stove pipe anymore, still is not 100%. Can never sell it but wouldn't waste my money on another Colt, unless the price was right. Though I will say I think Colt had the best factory barrel out there. My Colt while not the most reliable shoots one hole groups regularly.
Here's a shotty pic...
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:36:23 AM EST
If you just want a rail, it is a simple matter to have a Caspian Recon rail put on your Colt. Lots cheaper than a new gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:30:41 AM EST

I've heard complaints about the Series 80 (over the series 70)... what's so horrible about the Series 80 extra safety?

I just picked up a TLE/RL II last week. I managed to find a DeSantis holster that is designed to accommodate the weapon w/o the light attached. It was the only one they had, and the gunshop guy said at first they didn't have anything like that. I insisted, and he found out that they DID have one.

I also have a Colt Series 70, which has no firing pin block. The Series 80 Colts have a firing pin safety that is activated by a linkage connected to the trigger. It allegedly affects trigger pull. The Kimber, however (Series II weapons), has a firing pin block that is actuated by the grip safety, so there is no noticeable difference in the trigger.

The Kimber also has the external extractor, which may or may not be what you want. It also has the full-length solid guide rod. There are also pro's and con's with this, but I have no problem with it.

Another one I considered was the Para single-stack SSP, which has their new 'Power Extractor' and a ramped barrel, as well as an integral detent tube machined into the receiver frame. I didn't like the appearance of the bright controls on the black finished weapon, but that's just me. I like the all-black finish on my Kimber, as well as the MeproLight Tritium sights.

FITTER
Top Top