Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:25:47 PM EDT
So I watched all of the XS install videos and it looked so easy, I thought to myself, "I'll bet my Ameriglo Operators will go in easy too".

Yeah right. So there I was with a rubber mallet and a delrin punch. I tapped lightly nothing. I tapped a little harder, nothing. I then took it off and sanded it on the bottom a few strokes. I tried hitting it again then smash, the delrin shatters into little black plastic bits.

All the while I am doing this, the warnings from you guys about breaking the fragile little vials of Tritium is in my head.

I gave up and dropped it off at the gunsmith.  I didn't want to take too much material off, and didn't like how hard I was tapping it so that was that.

A few observations:

1. Holy crap, these sights are an extremely tight fit.

2. Next time I;ll quit being a cheap skate and buy the pusher tool.

ETA: The gunsmith is charging me 15 bucks to install the rear sights, so all in all not too bad of a deal.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I watched all of the XS install videos and it looked so easy, I thought to myself, "I'll bet my Ameriglo Operators will go in easy too".

Yeah right. So there I was with a rubber mallet and a delrin punch. I tapped lightly nothing. I tapped a little harder, nothing. I then took it off and sanded it on the bottom a few strokes. I tried hitting it again then smash, the delrin shatters into little black plastic bits.

All the while I am doing this, the warnings from you guys about breaking the fragile little vials of Tritium is in my head.

I gave up and dropped it off at the gunsmith.  I didn't want to take too much material off, and didn't like how hard I was tapping it so that was that.

A few observations:

1. Holy crap, these sights are an extremely tight fit.

2. Next time I;ll quit being a cheap skate and buy the pusher tool.

ETA: The gunsmith is charging me 15 bucks to install the rear sights, so all in all not too bad of a deal.

Good deal for the installation.

I never had to file the bottom of my rear XS sights. They slid right in.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, my Ameriglos were tight too.  Even with a pusher tool.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah, my Ameriglos were tight too.  Even with a pusher tool.

I guess I'd rather have them a little snug than too loose anyhow.

I cannot see how red loctite would make any difference at all with how tight these are.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#4]
That 15 bucks to the 'smith might have saved you alot of heartache––well worth it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That 15 bucks to the 'smith might have saved you alot of heartache––well worth it.

I agree VVV.

I can only imagine the heartache that would ensue if I would have had to spend another 50 or 60 bucks because those little vials broke and didn't glow anymore.

I know when to give up and get help.

Still pretty shocked that my piece of delrin and a rubber mallet wouldn't even budge that sight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree VVV.

I can only imagine the heartache that would ensue if I would have had to spend another 50 or 60 bucks because those little vials broke and didn't glow anymore.

Still pretty shocked that my piece of delrin and a rubber mallet wouldn't even budge that sight.

Yeah, if you'd broken the vial, YOU might be glowing!  It's radioactive, man!

Naw not really, there's not enough there for that.....................but yeah, sometimes a little material has to be removed from a sight for it too fit properly, and it can take a bit of experience to know just how much.

Or it can be so tight it just requires the even pressure of a pusher rather than tapping.  You might've been able to get it in with a brass punch instead, but might've marred it or cracked that little vial..............................

I like to do things myslef too, I know when to give up so it's done right, if I have severe doubts.

So give us a range report when ya get the chance.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree VVV.

Yeah, if you'd broken the vial, YOU might be glowing!  It's radioactive, man!

Naw not really, there's not enough there for that.....................but yeah, sometimes a little material has to be removed from a sight for it too fit properly, and it can take a bit of experience to know just how much.

Or it can be so tight it just requires the even pressure of a pusher rather than tapping.  You might've been able to get it in with a brass punch instead, but might've marred it or cracked that little vial..............................

I like to do things myslef too, I know when to give up so it's done right, if I have severe doubts.

So give us a range report when ya get the chance.

I'll definitely give you a solid range report. I really like the yellow/green combo of the Operators and I very much like the white outline around the front green sight. This fits my eyes very well. I may try the XS next time, but I am just comfortable with a 3 dot system.

I thought about the brass punch, but was too worried about the shock of it.

Now the only thing I still want to do is stipple mine to look exactly like this gun:

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
If you even think you'll own multiple GLOCKs the sight pusher is well worth it.
Otherwise the best thing to do is take it to someone that has one and pay a few bucks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Trijicon, Meprolight, and AmeriGlo have squish to fit dovetails on the rear sights.  They are hollow on the bottom deform to a good tight fit when installed.  This eliminates having to fit the dovetails to the slide.  A sight pusher is the only way to install them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:31:49 AM EDT
[#11]
who can install with a quick turn-around and reasonable price............thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Everyone should own a sight pusher.  I got the universal one from midway and it dominates ameriglos.  I still have to do some filing to get them in though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#13]
After installing my XS sights, I do wish I used a pusher.

I had to file quit a bit off.  Then they popped in with two taps with the delrin rod and 2lb. hammer.  Your rubber mallet was probally holding you back.  Squishy delrin + squishy rubber mallet= going nowhere.   The delrin rod should prevent hitting the sights too hard IF your being careful.

Don't fear the file, thats all the gunsmith is going to do.
I think you can file the XS sights down to where they go in just past half way, easy.....then a good tap to get them in.

I'm looking forward to trying another Glock with a pusher to see if I can do better, "practice makes Glock".

My XS have been on for 200 rounds and holding.  A little low and left.  (but thats par for me and Glocks.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After installing my XS sights, I do wish I used a pusher.

I had to file quit a bit off.  Then they popped in with two taps with the delrin rod and 2lb. hammer.  Your rubber mallet was probally holding you back.  Squishy delrin + squishy rubber mallet= going nowhere.   The delrin rod should prevent hitting the sights too hard IF your being careful.

Don't fear the file, thats all the gunsmith is going to do.
I think you can file the XS sights down to where they go in just past half way, easy.....then a good tap to get them in.

I'm looking forward to trying another Glock with a pusher to see if I can do better, "practice makes Glock".

My XS have been on for 200 rounds and holding.  A little low and left.  (but thats par for me and Glocks.)

Great post. I appreciate the tips. I'm going to get the pusher tool for the 25% discount at Ameriglo's web site. Should make it 75 bucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top