Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 3:18:49 PM EST
I've had my M&P 40, since I turned 21, so about 3 years or so. I have shot well over 500rnds though the gun, maybe more. I always liked the gun, but just always just kinda never shot it seriously. I finally decided, this is the gun I keep in my nightstand, so by gosh I need to learn to shoot it right.

I took it out to the range, and got my target all set up, and I remembered something I had heard about practicing for home defense. I set up my target at what I estimated the longest shot would be in my home, about 10 paces (I have long legs) I proceeded to place a 2inch sticky dot on my target. I decided to see just how quick I could come up from a low ready position, swing up aim, and press the trigger. The range I was at was a public range, and completely deserted, so I actually talked myself though it. I kept repeating to my self "line it up, press", and then I would fire. I did this for maybe a whole mag, and I actually surprised myself I had a group on my target about 3" around where my dot had been I shot maybe 5-6 mags, getting a tad bit faster as I went, and eventually saying this to myself in my head, and by the end, I didn't even have to think about it, I just did it. Best of all the groups still stayed in about a 3" circle.

This may be nothing for some of you folks, but as far as handguns this was a very valuable piece of training for me, I had never been a bad shot with a handgun, but as far as a defense training situation this was my first.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:56:57 AM EST
I wouldn't call that "defense training" at all. I would reccomend that you get some real training ASAP before you start ingraining bad habits into your shooting... like swinging your gun up from a low ready to aim. I'm not talking down to you, I started out the same way and I'm still not a ninja with a handgun but I know more than I did a year ago, I know what I need to work on and most importantly I know what I don't know which is invaluable information to have.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:25:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By SryOfcr:
I wouldn't call that "defense training" at all. I would reccomend that you get some real training ASAP before you start ingraining bad habits into your shooting... like swinging your gun up from a low ready to aim. I'm not talking down to you, I started out the same way and I'm still not a ninja with a handgun but I know more than I did a year ago, I know what I need to work on and most importantly I know what I don't know which is invaluable information to have.

Very, very well said. Look around for a local training class in defensive shooitng.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:43:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By KimberTLE45:

Very, very well said. Look around for a local training class in defensive shooitng.

I understand what you are talking about fellas, it may have sounded like i was trying to do some serious training there, I guess I kinda made it sound that way, but it wasn't really that, more or less fun at the range with my M&P. I have had some training (CCW class) but I know it's nothing advanced, and just the basics. I'm by no means a newbe to handguns, I can handle one pretty well, shoot decent, but I don't claim to be expert either. I know for the serious stuff get training, someday down the road I just might

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:46:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By jnk556:

I understand what you are talking about fellas, it may have sounded like i was trying to do some serious training there, I guess I kinda made it sound that way, but it wasn't really that, more or less fun at the range with my M&P. I have had some training (CCW class) but I know it's nothing advanced, and just the basics. I'm by no means a newbe to handguns, I can handle one pretty well, shoot decent, but I don't claim to be expert either. I know for the serious stuff get training, someday down the road I just might

My first class was an eye opener and well worth every penny. Definately look into it and I am happy to hear that you like your new M&P
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:28:53 PM EST

My first class was an eye opener and well worth every penny. Definately look into it and I am happy to hear that you like your new M&P

I guess I have kinda held out on that, as i'll have to travel probably around 2hrs or so to even find a class. WV is a nice gun-friendly state, but finding decent training it is not
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:29:54 PM EST

I guess I have kinda held out on that, as i'll have to travel probably around 2hrs or so to even find a class. WV is a nice gun-friendly state, but finding decent training it is not

There are some very, very good schools within reasonable driving time for you. I cannot even reach many of those schools without flying but will be moving to NC soon, so I am pretty excited to attend them.
Top Top