Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 5:37:41 PM EDT
I shot the big 500 with 7 1/2" barrel. It was GREAT. I went through a $30 box of 400gr Magtech bullets in no time. The recoil was massive and the concussion was like a warm slap in the face. It was not painful at all. If the bullets were not so expensive I would have shot it some more.

I'm not a hunter but I have a feeling a copy of this hand cannon will soon be mine.

Gunzer
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't they make a "snubby" version of the 500???
I've fired the longer barrel version.... 'Can't imagine what a snubby would feel/sound like
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah they make a stubby and i have not had the pleasure of shooting it i got the 10 inch one it kicks like oly hell with hot loads heheh
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot the snubby with the 400gr round twice.
I think every muscle in my hand spasmed for 5 minutes after I shot it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn , I just found some .500 brass at my shooting spot....hokie mokie .

I've seen the revolvers in stores around here and handled a 7.5" (?) barreled one . I kinda liked it the grip was surprisingly comfortable .

I owned a #29 a few years ago and IT was more than I would ever need....unless I lived in Alaska .

The Ruger Blackhawk .45 is as much as I could really deal w/ 280-300 bullet and a bunch of
H-110 .

BUT I admire you's guys ......just for squizzing the trigger !  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot the 7 1/2" barrel one as well. Cool gun..I think I'll have one. I want a snubby one, but I'd be afraid to fire the damn thing!

Colt Python and Anaconda come first tho :)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#6]
After experiencing the all encompassing recoil / concussion of the full size gun with 400gr loads, I can not imagine the resulting violence from the 4" deal.

I am attempting to purchase this beastie boy to add to my collection as we speak!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine bought a 500 with the 4".  I didn't shoot it much, but I sampled all the ammo he had.  The low velocity loads (1200 fps) were very tolerable, and felt much like a medium to heavy 44 mag load.   Recoil was uncomfortable with Corbon full house loads though.  Very sharp and straight back into the palm of your hand.  Muzzle blast was incredible, but being indoors at a range doesn't help with that (my 38 Super is pretty impressive, muzzle blast wise, in an indoor environment).  Don't hesitate to shoot one if you have a chance.  it won't hurt you.  ANd if it does, your doing something wrong.

AWGunS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:43:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd love to get one of those, but you have to rich or a reloaded to shoot it often.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the 4" and have tried different loads without any problrms. The recoil isn't that bad. Maybe it"s because I have long arms and big hands I really don't know but I love it. I sold a Ruger 454 that actually made my wrist sore after shooting it several times. That gun's recoil seemed worse to me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I've fired the 500 and it kicked hard but not as bad as I thought it would.  Lately I've been wanting to try the 460.  The 460 option of going to .454 Casull (which I thought kicked harder than the 500, but it might have been that the 500 was a lot bigger gun than the .454 I shot) or softer .45 Long Colt seems a little more versatile.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]
My local range was a S&W shop so they got one of the first 500s to show up and it went right into the rental cabinet. They didn't have ammo but I did. Man, those first Cor-bon loads were hot. First gun that ever caused me pain to shoot. I noticed the Hornady loads they later stocked were several hundred fps slower for the same weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top