Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 11:46:44 AM EDT
Married guys will understand.  Have been contemplating a 1911 for sometime now, but just ran across a SW 4506 on my lunch break.   It seems very clean, no major scratches, just normal wear.    They are asking $480 for it, said they might work with me.  Is this a fair price?  Would it help me sample whether or not I would like the 1911?  Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions, etc?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if that is a good price or not, but if you dont want to sleep on the couch, "discover" it while going through boxes in the attic.    
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
That' wont work , she keeps an inventory on me.  I remember the time I brought an AR home, tried to sneak it in and she asked me what was I trying to sneak in the house.  I told her she could'nt see it because it was her Valentine's Day present.  Her prompt reply was:  BULL$#&^!

Seriously, any things to look for on a used 4506 would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The 4506 and a 1911 are very different guns.

One of the main attractions of a 1911 is its single-action trigger. Very few, if any, pistols can match a decent 1911 trigger.

The 4506 trigger is a double-action, and will in no way give you any idea if you'd like a 1911.

The 4506 is probably a nice gun... I don't know as I've never shot one. For some (probably unreasonable) reason, I have never been a fan of S&W pistols.  S&W revolvers, on the other hand, are top notch! It is still a .45, which is a plus IMHO.

If you are thinking of getting a 1911, spend some trigger time on one before getting something else.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Blue Book says:

100%-$680
98%-$550
95%-$410

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
All of that helps a great deal!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to be a die hard 1911 fan.  I have owned several of them by Colt, Springfield Armory and S&W.  But, after discovering the S&W 3rd Generation autos in my mid 20's, I found that my 1911's were staying home in the safe and my S&W's were going to the range and being carried for CCW use instead.  

For competition use, the single action trigger of the 1911 is hard to beat.  It's the quickest to get on target and easiest to keep on target while the trigger is pressed.  But, for carry use, or even simple range plinking, it's not what I prefer.

I decided about a year ago to give the 1911 another try and picked up an SW1911.  Great gun, accurate, meticulous fit and finish, good trigger and reliable.  But, it just wasn't what I really want for a CCW piece anymore.  I ended up trading it for a 4506 and a shotgun, and I've never regretted it for one second.  Although the 4506 is not the best CCW piece either with its long barrel, I can still conceal it in the cooler weather, but it's mostly a range gun for me.  For CCW use, I find that the weight of my P220, or any of my 3rd Generation S&W's, ranging from a single stack 9mm 3953 to a full size double stack .40 S&W 4043 conceal well.

For a good deal from a great guy, check out Mark at Summit Gun Broker.  Not only is he a true stand-up guy to deal with, his prices are the best I've found.  And, he always describes his merchandise worse than it actually is.  I was extremely surprised in the condition of the 4043 I got from him, and my neighbor was very happy with the P226.  He had a pile of 4506 PD trade-ins recently, but they are not advertised on his site anymore.  He is either sold out or he just doesn't have enough to warrant a page of their own anymore.  If he still has some left, I remember his price was very good on them.  His website is only a small sampling of what he actually has in stock, so a phone call could be worth your time.  Be patient with him.  He's travelling a lot and it sometimes takes him a while to get back to you.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

I know that most people here are going to disagree with me on what I've said about the 1911.  Sure, it's a great design that at one time was state of the art, and actually way ahead of its time.  But now, I feel there are much better options for carry and duty weapons than a single action auto.  That's why I choose a 4506 over a 1911 any day.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I know that most people here are going to disagree with me on what I've said about the 1911.  

Truer words never spoken, sir.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Isincerely sugest tha you enter into a reimbersment contrat withthe wife , for example wehave a 2 for1 thing for ever 2 guns I buy myself I haveto buy her one equivalent wepon or piece of woodshop equipment
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#11]
The Blue Book is completely worthless.

In the real world, it's all about REGIONAL prices, and there is not a Blue Book for every region in the country.

As an example, I can buy a S&W Model 27 for $350 where I live, but you may have to pay $600 for one.

Around here, the 45 S&W Smith semi autos can be had for $350-$450. As NIB too.

The "book" can be used in both directions. By the seller to inflate his price, or by the buyer to lowball someone.

Just like the Blue Book for cars. Its a tool for MAKING MONEY, not necessarily reflecting real world value.

Ask people in your region. You will get a more realistic view of the pricing.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Blue Book is completely worthless.

Hardly, sir. Otherwise they'd never sell a single copy.

As an example, I can buy a S&W Model 27 for $350 where I live, but you may have to pay $600 for one.

"May" is subjective, no?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad has a 4586. It's a DAO 4500 series pistol with the rounded combat guard and fixed sights. I really like it. It's comfortable to shoot and heavy enough to tame hot 45 loads.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a S&W 1911 and I absolutly love it.The quality is excellent and the accuracy is equal to that of a a 1911 costing 2 times as much.I highly recommend the 1911
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#15]
FWIW, I love 1911's in all flavor and stripes, but the only Smith auto that fits my hand is the old 39-2.  From the 3 digit #s on, they just don't feel right, and the 4500 size is, for me, the worst of the breed.  But that's just me.  They just don't seem like an "apple to apple" comparison.  But if you like it, go for it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That' wont work , she keeps an inventory on me.  I remember the time I brought an AR home, tried to sneak it in and she asked me what was I trying to sneak in the house.  I told her she could'nt see it because it was her Valentine's Day present.  Her prompt reply was:  BULL$#&^!

Can you say whipped?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top