Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 2:25:45 PM EDT
Headin out of town this past friday, taking my son to Kentucky Kingdom for his birthday, *I severly fucked up my factory plastic sights breaking the window out of a VW Bug. I'm going to replace them with night sights, but I'm not totally sure where to get them from. My only 2 requirements are they be green up front, yellow/orange in the rear and they have to be made out of metal. There is more than a good possibility that I may be picking up a supressor for this gun, not sure if I should go with extra tall sights for that or not. What say the hive mind?
*Here's the story, cause I know I'll just be asked about it later. We spotted this Bug driving VERY dangerously going 65 north bound. Drove all over the grassy median and even into on-coming traffic before crashing in the median, breaking the front axle it looked like. I hopped out of my car to make sure everyone was alright when I saw a little old lady slumped over in the driver seat, completely unresponsive. She had her seatbelt on but was unconcious. First thing I thought of, seizure. Doors were locked. I didn't want to run all the way back to my car and get a tire iron out (didn't want to waste that time, she couldn't breath the way her tongue was hanging out) so I grabbed my glock, dropped the mag and cleared the chamber, then smashed that sumbitch as hard as I could against the rear driver-side window....several times. Window finally gave and a girl on the scene jumped into the car and turned it off. We proceded to open her airway, pushing her jaw forward, but unfortunately, it didn't do much good. It wasn't a seizure like I had thought, but much worse it turns out. Annuerism. We did everything we could while we waited for the paramedics to get there, took about 15 minutes or so.  Horrible way to start a family trip, but I had to do something. I believe she died later in the hospital. Her husband (of almost 50 years) was following her in his truck, they had JUST driven down from Bowling Green to buy the VW Bug and were on their way back home. Very tragic, fortunately no one else was hurt, even though it was during rush hour.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
XS Big Dot system.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If your interested in looking at something other than the typical notch and post type sights, I HIGHLY recommend XS Sights 24/7 Tritium Big Dot.  Easy to install and made of metal.  Front is a big dot with a tritium insert and the rear is a shallow "V" with a vertical stripe at the center.

All you have to do is "dot the I" with the front dot covering your POA/POI and its fast.  I've got the factory sights on my G26 and SIG nite sights on my P229 and the XS Big Dot on my G19 is my favorite.

Worth a look...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about how you messed up your sights but at least you stopped to render aid. Most will not.

I have Meapro night sights. Green front 2 yellows back. Bright and have held up to CHL and range shooting. They are made of metal btw. Don't cost an arm and a leg(less then 100 bucks at the austin gun show, installed and factory new last year).

Just a suggestion.

As for breaking out a side window on a car if you have to ever do it again. A key or any round pointed object pressed against a a side window will cause it to break. You can get a spring punch at the hardware store and keep on your key ring. It works wonders. I use to work at a conveince store in the country. You would be suprised how many times I had to break a side window due to an emergency(3 heart attacks, 5 babies locked in in the summer, 2 people that passed out and 1 woman trapped during an accident).
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions.... bunch of people stopped, even some illegals though all he did was jerk the door handle off the door in a panic. He was gone the second the cops hit the scene though. I was panicking too though, I know several ways to break a window...don't know idea why the gun idea popped into my head. My keys were still in the car with the family, it's all I had on me. Would've broke first shot with metal sights on it, no doubt.... the several times I had hit it were with the plastics. Didn't do a thing to it... it wasn't even the gun that made the window give, another dude ran up with a 4-way... thank god good people still exist. The number of civilians on the scene warmed my heart in a cold situation. I felt horrible for her hsuband that was on scene.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
XS Big Dot system.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top