Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/4/2007 7:59:25 PM EST
I found one in a local shop that has a few small rust spots on it..........not alot, but some. It has relatively decent finish and no gouges or surface blemishes on the metal, and the rubber grips are in good order. The kicker is that the gun is very dirty, and hasnt been cleaned very well. Far as I can tell the lands and grooves are pretty good, and there is finish wear on the face of the cylinder where one would expect..........the guy wants 369.99 for it..........think it's worth it? It would need refinishing, but could be made nice. I was holding out for a .45 acp or .44 special revolver, but I could live with .357 magnum to go with my Ruger GP-100
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:10:49 PM EST
I'd say run with it if it will function. After it gets cleaned up and checked out, you may not even need to refinish it. I've got a couple of 686s (same gun in stainless) and I love them.

What era are they from? By that I mean is there a dash and a number after the 586? Of the ones I own, I actually like my more recently made guns over the older ones. (All still pre-lock)

Its a decent price. If its so badly marred that you HAVE to refinish it, then walk away. If its liveable, it may just be character, you know? As long as it functions properly it may be a good deal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:29:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2007 8:31:59 PM EST by cyclone]
I didnt get to really look it over as I was in a hurry, so wasnt sure about the dash........as for function, I pulled the trigger about 4 times and the cylinder seemed to be in time with everything. The rust/corrosion spots are small, and there are about 10 of them along the barrel and above the trigger.......some solvent would probably take them away, but I am not sure. They are there........kinda like maybe sweat or moisture was on it........I would refinish it in any case.

Originally Posted By Mr-Shatters:
I'd say run with it if it will function. After it gets cleaned up and checked out, you may not even need to refinish it. I've got a couple of 686s (same gun in stainless) and I love them.

What era are they from? By that I mean is there a dash and a number after the 586? Of the ones I own, I actually like my more recently made guns over the older ones. (All still pre-lock)

Its a decent price. If its so badly marred that you HAVE to refinish it, then walk away. If its liveable, it may just be character, you know? As long as it functions properly it may be a good deal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:51:01 PM EST
If you're going to refinish it anyway, then its just a question of affordability. If you've got the cash and want the gun, it is definitely worth it. Its a great gun.

Things to look for when you go back:
- Look for the dash number. It will be inside the frame by the yoke when you open the cylander. Obviously, the lower the number (or lack of one) means its older.
- See if it has the lock above the cylander latch. I don't think they made the 586 with the lock, as it was discontinued by S&W a few years ago. Anyhow, if it has the lock, it is less desireable to some, and will hurt resale value even if refinished.
- Look for the firing pin. On older models it was mounted on the hammer, and more recently it is inside the frame, with a smooth hammer. I've got both, and at the risk of sounding like a heretic, my newer 686 (from '99 or '00) is one of my favorite, most reliable and accurate guns I've ever shot.

Not that ANY of that has anything to do with reliability, its just to help identify it.

Report back. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:14:48 PM EST
It didnt have the lock, which was what caught my eye.............gonna go back Saturday and check it out a little more

Originally Posted By Mr-Shatters:
If you're going to refinish it anyway, then its just a question of affordability. If you've got the cash and want the gun, it is definitely worth it. Its a great gun.

Things to look for when you go back:
- Look for the dash number. It will be inside the frame by the yoke when you open the cylander. Obviously, the lower the number (or lack of one) means its older.
- See if it has the lock above the cylander latch. I don't think they made the 586 with the lock, as it was discontinued by S&W a few years ago. Anyhow, if it has the lock, it is less desireable to some, and will hurt resale value even if refinished.
- Look for the firing pin. On older models it was mounted on the hammer, and more recently it is inside the frame, with a smooth hammer. I've got both, and at the risk of sounding like a heretic, my newer 686 (from '99 or '00) is one of my favorite, most reliable and accurate guns I've ever shot.

Not that ANY of that has anything to do with reliability, its just to help identify it.

Report back. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:03:22 AM EST
dont buy it...you can get a 586 or 686 from gunbroker.com in perfect condition no rust pitting for 350-400

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82094216
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81706526

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:14:56 AM EST
I wouldn't give that kind of cash for a beater. Funny though, I buy primarily beaters these days. I don't have to handle them with kid gloves and always get my money back if I decide to sell. +1 for cheap (good quality) beater guns. Cosmetics are overrated, function is non-negotiable.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:41:54 AM EST
Thanks for all the replies..............I wont be buying it, as someone has already went and plunked the cash down for it...........no biggie in any case, as I have my eye on a Thunder Ranch 22-4
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:52:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2007 3:52:33 PM EST by vanilla_gorilla]
I got mine with a beat-up finish and in perfect working condition for $300 OTD. I'd pass at $370

Edit: Whoops, didn't read the last part.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:29:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2007 7:30:35 PM EST by all4freedom]
Originally Posted By Slacker:
I wouldn't give that kind of cash for a beater. Funny though, I buy primarily beaters these days. I don't have to handle them with kid gloves and always get my money back if I decide to sell. +1 for cheap (good quality) beater guns. Cosmetics are overrated, function is non-negotiable.

Wanna be in my sig line? That sounds like "Clintism". (Clint Smith that is.)

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:05:00 AM EST
I bought my last 586 at a gun show for $325 which was in near mint condition. That was maybe 6 months ago and I have since seen them for upwards of $450. But I'd also pass at $370.
Top Top