Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2003 10:00:24 AM EDT
1.How does a hindgun come out of time?
2.how do you re time it?
3.what can you do to make sure it stay's in time?
4. how do you know if it is out of time?
Are diffrent gun's timed diffrent? if so can we focus on the colt python? I was shoot a revolver teh other day and every 4th shot or so the trigger was real hard to pull and you had to and you had to let go of the trigger and try again or you had to move the cylinder back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Timing is just at what point the gun does what.  Like during the trigger pull on a revolver.  Through the pull of the trigger, the cylinder rotates, and locks as the hammer comes back, then the hammer is released.  

If the timing gets off, the cylinder may not lock at the right point during the trigger pull...

There's some writeup in the wheelgun formula about checking a revolver.  Check it out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
NYCOP, before assuming the worst, check for high primers if using reloads.
Use a flat surface to check that they were seated all the way.
That could bind rotation.
Also check/clean under star extractor for build up.  A few flecks of unburned powder under it could do the same thing.
At least those 2 things to check for are free.
It don't quite sound like a timing problem, rather a binding cylinder, for some reason.
I forgot...does it do that empty too?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If the little hand that turns the cylinder slips off while you are cleaning the gun or you take it off could theat casue the gun to go out of time?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Certainly. But it's unlikely that would do what you describe. If the star is the problem it is usually pretty obvious and it usually effects all cylinders equally.

To test timing on either a Smith or Colt check alignment and play with the hammer down and the trigger pulled all the way back. The Colt should be locked up with absolutely minimal play. You may feel a little play in the Smith due to the different locking mechanisism.

Smiths are relatively easy to retime. Colts are simply far more difficult. Three different systems need to work together to get a Colt to lock up solid.

But; Colt is usually great about fixing timing on their revolvers. Give them a call and get the correct mailing address. They will look at the gun and give you a firm estimate of what is needed to bring it back to life.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
That little hand should be retracted when opening the gun...on the Python you can cock it while opened, that will expose it.
It should have some tension on it...pushing it back it should come forward on it's own.
Maybe an area to try to clean, if gummy through the years.
Do not close the cylinder with the hammer cocked.
If the hand has dirt build up or no spring tension, sure, it can cause the cylinder to stop as there is nothing to rotate it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]
What happen is that when I had the side cover off I squezed the trigger the the little arm kiped off of the star, so i relocked the cylinder and pushed the arm back into place that is when I noticed teh problem.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Not having tinkered with a Python in a long time myself, it sounds like the hand was not reinstalled properly...it's supposed to have tension forward, even before the sideplate goes back on.
You may have to study it some when putting it back in to get it right.
It did work fine until the hand fell off, correct?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes it did, the hand did not come all the way off just the top slipped off of the cylinder, the hand was still attacthed to teh frame.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, I see it may not be a timing problem as much as possibly just assembled incorrectly.
If you can't tell what "slipped off" the hand, like a spring, you may have to take it to someone qualified to put it right...I wish I had one apart in front of me so I maybe could talk you through it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Any luck yet?
As a slight inward pressure is placed on the hand, pry the odd shaped lever upwards from the bottom of the frame, it should drop back into place. You will know it due to the forward tension on it if it's right.
I just bought one cheap AND it was out of time, that's how I came to have one apart in front of me!
Mine needs a little more "work" than yours, (a nickeled 6 incher here.)
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Everything seems to be better, but I have not had it out to shoot yet but it seems ok. Thanks for the follow up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top