Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 9:37:45 PM EDT
Earlier this year I traded my old N frame SW629 for a NIB SW99 45 acp. I have kick myself in the butt everyday since. God only knows why I was so stupid. So here is the deal. I am expecting to return to revolves so time after receiving my tax return in 2004, but I need to get a gun that is light to carry but sure to fire and possible use as a gun for 2 and 3 gun events. I have read some threads on the SW329PD and really don't know how to look at it. I don't expect to fire more than 50 rounds during a match or practice for that matter, and I plan on using 44 special as the number one choice for ammo.

Anyway, to get to my point, what should I look at? Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly needed since I have proved to be a real dumb a$$ with making handgun purchases.

John
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you planning on carrying the gun for CCW? If I was looking for an "N" frame .44 mag to do that with, I would look very hard at a Mountain Gun in SS. Yes, it is heavier than the 329, but it will shoot better as well. The Scandium guns tend to have "accuracy issues"...not all of them, but a high enough percentage that I would be leery of spending this kind of money on the 329 without a very specific need for that exact combination. They also make the Mountain Gun now in blued steel...but here in our fair state, the heat and humidity will grow rust quickly on plain blued steel if you are not a stickler for maintenance.

Actually, I really like the Mountain Guns in both .45acp and .45 Colt for general use. They will not provide the power levels of the .44 in its' magnum version, but there are much better loads available for them in factory trim for defense use than almost any factory loaded .44 spl. If you are going to actually use the wheelgun for competition, the best choice is probably the .45acp model. With full moon clips using ball, and some practice, you can easily load almost as fast as the auto shooters.

S&W has made a limited run of Mountain Guns in .45acp. Hard to find now, but probably worth the effort for your uses.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Like I said I am dumb a$$ when it come to handguns, but are you saying heavier handguns are easier to shoot?

If this is the case, then this is probable where my problem has been with my last two semi-autos. Other than stovepiping.

I took a look at SW website and found a 625 45 acp that seems to be somewhat the same size as the 329pd, but heavier.
How well does this gun work?
Here is a real stupid question, what are moon clips?
How hard is it to get moon clips?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Heavier handguns are usually easier to hold steady, and are able to soak up more of the perceived recoil.

Moon clips are what 45 ACP revolvers use so that you don't have to pick the fired cases out by hand. They clip to the base of the case where the extractor would pick up the round in an auto.

I have four S&W N-Frame revolvers that use moon clips.

A 5" 625 in 45 ACP that uses 6-shot moon clips.
A 3" 625 that has been milled for moon clips and shoots 45 LC, 45 ACP, and 460 Rowland.
A 4" 610 that uses 6 shot moon clips and shoots 10mm or 40 S&W.
A 5" 627 that uses 8-shot moon clips (but doesn't require them) for 357 Magnum and 38 Special.

If you like (or I get motivated), I can post some pictures showing the different clips, cylinders and guns.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Moon Clips

For more info see www.moonclips.com
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
John, the 625 is a favorite. Large and heavy, accurate and soft shooting. Easy to load round nose monsters on a moon clip. You allready know about the ergonomics. The rest is all good news. I sold off my 625-3 3" because I will never carry it [commander light weight] And love shooting the 5" gun.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A 5" 627 that uses 8-shot moon clips (but doesn't require them) for 357 Magnum and 38 Special.

Okay now I don't know what I am going to do. Man alive an 8 shot revolver! Now that is smoke'n.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Okay now I don't know what I am going to do. Man alive an 8 shot revolver! Now that is smoke'n.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#8]
How hard is it to get a molded holster for a sw327?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Bring your S&W auto to the FDCC shoot this month and we will see if we can figure out what it...or you...is/are doing to cause any problem with reliability. Good chance as a revolver shooter that you are "limp wristing" the gun. No flame this simply means that the gun must be "backed-up" solidly so that the slide can move independently from the frame under recoil...which is how the pistol operates. Wheelguns will allow almost any hold on the grip to work, because they are not "recoil sensitive" in operation.

The 625's are very nice guns to shoot, but for everyday carry, they may be a little too bulky for some people. Me? I still like the Mountain Gun, but if I used a revolver for serious CCW instead of just a back-up, it would almost certainly be a 3in. M65 round-butt...nice, slick, powerful package.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I read a review in one of the gun buyers guides about the S&W 329PD that was favorable.  I can't remember which guide it was, but I do recall it had a blue cover (it's about 20 miles away right now).

They said it was not bad at all with standard .44 Spl. ammo including Winchester Silvertips.  With Corbon .44 Spl. and full power .44 Mag ammo, they said it was rather unpleasant, even with Hogue grips on it.

The author said it was extremely light and he had a new woods gun.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#11]
ikor,
Any advice you can offer is very welcome. I look forward to Sunday, and we will see what you think about the sw99 after you run a few rounds threw it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't usually savvy to Guntest articles, but this one on the Taurus 608 and S&W 627 is quite telling.
www.gun-tests.com/performance/dec97IPSC.html
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
ikor,
Any advice you can offer is very welcome. I look forward to Sunday, and we will see what you think about the sw99 after you run a few rounds threw it.

Happy to help any way I can...always a good day when you get to burn some gunpowder! Ha! Was that you complaining about the SW99 at the October shoot at the alternate range?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeap, that was me. Like I said, I have been kicking myself in the butt for a while now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#15]
OK, see ya at the shoot! Don't forget the S&W.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top