Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 9:04:44 PM EDT
I seriously have an addiction to 1911's I currently own 2 now a Kimber SS Target II, and my newest a Springfield Armory Coat TRP.
Now I already want another one.  This one I want to get something reliable, full size, for carry, some range time, and try to get in around 700 to 850 price range.  Not worried about ambi controls, but want the loop hammer, nice grip safety, and skeleton trigger.
I have thought about another SA Loaded SS.  Any other suggestions that people want to throw out do so?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
An authentic 1911 addiction is summed up in one word. COLT.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
colt......................................................................................................................................................................................
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]
You need a G.I. or a Colt series 70 or 80...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Slacker!

clown
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
aww how cute...

A baby 1911 addict....probably live to a ripe old age,,with a dozen or more.or turn to drink lookin for that last singer matching serial number you heard about at a gunshow in......

unlike baby glock owners,,they BLOW up so quickly...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
The first step is admitting there is a problem......
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought I was a lightweight with 9.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Word to yo Momma Homie!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok since we have established I need a Colt.  Which one should I get?  Any used ones I should look out for or brand new ones I should get?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
$850 worth of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#12]
There are some great deals out there right now on used Colts. I just picked this Officers up for 600.00

Be patient and shop GB & EE. The deals are out there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to stick to a full size.  I can conceal a full size and I like the full size better.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$850 worth of ammo.

+1

Or get a Springfield milspec with NM prefix used for $500 and get $350 worth of a reliablity job by a reputable smithy.

I'd focus on:
Replacing the ignition system (hammer, sear, disconnector)
flat MSH without ILS
10-8 solid trigger
King rear sight
slide release

just me though

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
An authentic 1911 addiction is summed up in one word. COLT DEBT.

Fixed.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

A gun is about the last thing I would go in debt for. If you can't pay cash for it..... well do I need to say it... You probably don't need it. Debt is a whole different 12 step program.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I am not worried about debt... I just have never owned a Colt 1911.  Should I get a 70 or 80 series?  What model should I get?  I am not worried if it is SS or blue/parkerized.  I do want another full size maybe a rail since this will be a carry pistol also.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the same addiction...Colt Gold Cup and a Volkmann Combatant Carry....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed.

A gun is about the last thing I would go in debt for. If you can't pay cash for it..... well do I need to say it... You probably don't need it. Debt is a whole different 12 step program.

See we do agree on something. If I cant pay cash for it I wont buy it. Or a timely layaway for used stuff I get blindsided on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't have a problem with layaway. I did my AR that way from Tanners.

As to 70 or 80 series.. That's up to you. I won't carry a series 70. Then again my series 80 range pistols have been converted to series 70. There's about a dozen different ways to answer your question. It's going to come down to what fits in your comfort zone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Honestly I am comfortable with just about any pistol.  I own an assortment of different pistols and it will get plenty of range time before it gets the honor of getting into my pants.

I just know this I want a 1911 for carry, full size, loop hammer, skeleton trigger (I can tune it myself if worst comes to worst), rail is not a concern it can have it or not, and finish now that I have thought more about it I want a SS.

Does Colt make something like this around 700 to 900? If not Colt who would you guys suggest.  Lets hear some opinions on some different models.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#22]
My carry for the last couple of months has been a Colt Combat Elite. If your not familiar with this. It's a stainless receiver and blued upper. I would prefer an all stainless for carry or something done in black durable corrosive resistant finish. I believe Colt has a Government model XSE in stainless. Check the website. I've seen quite a few all stainless used Colts on GB in your price range.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Its the greatest addiction to ever have
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Honestly I am comfortable with just about any pistol.  I own an assortment of different pistols and it will get plenty of range time before it gets the honor of getting into my pants.

I just know this I want a 1911 for carry, full size, loop hammer, skeleton trigger (I can tune it myself if worst comes to worst), rail is not a concern it can have it or not, and finish now that I have thought more about it I want a SS.

Does Colt make something like this around 700 to 900? If not Colt who would you guys suggest.  Lets hear some opinions on some different models.

They have introduced a new railed frame model, but it's been around the 1K mark from what I've seen.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I buy things just to put them on credit. Yes, I have a plan for paying for them and never over-step my means, but before I got a credit-card, life sucked. I could not get an appartment, and I know that later I wouldn't be able to buy a car or house unless I payed cash, or took a very high interest rate, so I got a Credit Card, and use it with abandon, pay my statements on time, and make sure not to dig a hole I can't climb out of in less than 3 months.  My credit score went from being a total bogue to being a mid 600 beacon in around a year. Last I checked was about 6 months ago. I am hoping to have a 700+ beacon by the time I get out of college.

So yes, I disagree about all debt being bad in a sense that MANAGABLE debt is okay, and helps to cement your place in society as a trust-worthy person when you pay it off. It's the debt that eats you alive that you can't get out from under that is to be avoided.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top